Pls Help Me: 2015 SV or 2014 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCelectric

Hi Friends,

This seems like the right place to start.

I'm looking to buy one of the following two Leafs:

1. SL 2014 with quick charge and 18K miles. Battery capacity is 12/12.

2. SV 2015 without quick charge and 18K miles. Battery capacity is 12/12.

The price for both are around $13.5K (out the door).

I live in Washington, DC so the weather is hotter in the summer than colder in the winter (although we get low teens from Jan - Feb).

What do you all think?

Many thanks,
Adam

Some more information will help get a better answer:
How many miles will you commute one way on a daily basis?
How important is it for you to have the ability to QuickCharge when needed?

My take:
To each his own, but the QC has been really useful for me a few times. If it were me, I would go for the one with QC (2014).

Hi Inphoenix,
Thanks so much. My commute is like 18 miles each way, but can be in traffic for 45 mins. I'm going to install a 240v in our house and will charge at home. Just thinking about resale value (in 3-4 years) and convenience once quick charge stations become more readily available. I don't think I'll quick charge much but you never know, yeah? I'm sort of like sitting your camp - QC is the way to go. Just not sure if a 2015 vs. 2014 makes much difference in the battery/equipment. I just don't know.
Thanks,
Adam

I ended up with a quick charge package..just knowing I can qc in 30 min gives me a bit of ease if I needed it. depends on your area and how many qc stations are around. I'm in the bay area and theres one 5 m from my house. and a few downtown. I also wanted the all around view . that was a must. makes parking that much easier.

The 2015 should retain a slightly higher retail value. The "Lizard" battery pack isn't proving to be all that heat resistant, but should still be a little better at resisting age degradation, at least.

Not much difference between 2014 and 2015 Leafs other than the 2015 has "lizard" battery technology, which adds questionable improvement.

I personally would choose the '14 SL for same price as '15 SV.

SL gives you Quick charger, LED headlights, auto off headlights, leather interior, solar roof charger for 12 volt battery and nice 17" wheels.

Either way I would invest or borrow a OBDII dongle and LeafSpy to verify battery condition.

Edit: corrected lizard battery description by model year.

DCelectric said:
Hi Inphoenix,
Thanks so much. My commute is like 18 miles each way, but can be in traffic for 45 mins. I'm going to install a 240v in our house and will charge at home.................h

Adam,

Unlike a gas car, being In traffic has very very little effect on range. The leaf is very efficient in traffic.

In fact I sat in my leaf for 30 minutes earlier this week waiting for my wife to go shopping. It only reduced expected range 1 mile with AC, radio and headlights on. Not bad for 45 minutes of "idling" in comfort.

A 36 mile round trip is a piece of cake for a decent leaf.

Besides the QC doesn't the QC version give one double the L2 charging speed? Personally I've never used the QC in my Leaf but I really appreciate the upgraded L2 charger, it was the main reason I chose that option. For a strictly resale value choice I'd say the '15 will probably be worth more down the road but for use I'd chose the '14 and it's quicker charger.

jjeff said:
Besides the QC doesn't the QC version give one double the L2 charging speed?
If memory serves, I think by 2014 all SL/SV had the 6.6 kw onboard charger and that was not tied to having the quick charge port. That tie between them is only on the S model. The upgraded charger is nice to have especially in cold climates for preheating and faster charge times

jpadc said:
jjeff said:
Besides the QC doesn't the QC version give one double the L2 charging speed?
If memory serves, I think by 2014 all SL/SV had the 6.6 kw onboard charger and that was not tied to having the quick charge port. That tie between them is only on the S model. The upgraded charger is nice to have especially in cold climates for preheating and faster charge times
OK that makes sense, I knew on my '13 S ordering the QC gave me not only the QC port but also upgraded charger. In that case if "I" were the OP I'd get the newer model without QC for the same price, of course if they ever plan on using the QC(again something I've never done and really don't plan on doing) maybe the QC would be worth it. I'd also think it would matter what city you live in and the availability of QC stations, in MN they are few and far between, it sounds like in CA they are plentiful. I suppose it also depends on how you plan on using the Leaf and if you have a backup IC vehicle. My Leaf is mainly used around town and within a 40-50 mile radius, more than that and I use my ICE Prius, if you didn't have a backup then maybe a QC would be a choice for charging on the go, assuming one is on your route.

Assuming the SV has the QC option, I would go for that car over the SL. There's not really any features in the SL that I personally find necessary but the slight benefit in resale value for a 1 year newer car as well as the likelihood that you'll experience less degradation over time with that car, would seal the deal for me. As you're probably aware the 2015 cars are equip with a "lizard" battery pack that is supposed to be more heat tolerant compared to earlier cars. Most of the evidence we are seeing is that there isn't much of an improvement but even if its marginal, it is still probably worth it, especially if it means that down the road you are able to sell it used with 12 bars vs. 11. Also on that note, the 12/12 bar thing doesn't always tell the whole story since the cars can have up to 15.5% capacity loss and still have all bars. Unless you have an OBD reader and an App like Leaf Spy, you really can't get in there and see the true capacity.

Back