Poll : So what are you driving now?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your normal mode of travel is ..

• Walk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bike / MotorBike

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Public Transport

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Electric Car

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Sports Car

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Sedan

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • SUV/ Truck

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Jet (Larry Ellison only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others (Really ?!)

Votes: 12 11.7%

• Total voters
other huh??

well i have a 2010 Prius with 9600 miles on it (13 months old)
a 2006 Prius with 49,000 miles on it (45 months old)

and a 2007 Zenn EV with almost 12,000 miles on it (32 months old)

I own a 2005 VW Touran 2.0TDI DSG which I'll replace before 2016 but I also use my Ezee Forza e-bike a lot.

The Leaf (future "2.0" 200-mile version) is only my "Plan B" though, I have my sights set on the AWD 300-mile version of the Tesla Model S.

darelldd said:
I'm definitely a bit put off to see cycling combined with with motorbiking! Why not also combine walking with helicoptering?

If the number of wheels is all that makes things similar, then all the cars listed should be in one group too, no?

Don't get offended...the title on the top of the poll is "your normal mode of travel is..."......I guess the topic title would confuse this a bit. My fault....sorry!

I selected "other". I drive an '08 mini (my first mini was an '03). I could have called it a sports car, it almost handles like one. I could have called it a sedan but I'm not sure you could consider the 2nd row of seats as being big enough for adults. I would have selected economy car because I'm averaging 37 mpg or I would have selected compact car but neither were available.

2010 Camry Hybrid - but it's the wife's car.

I commute using her old '92 Camry w/150k miles (original owner). My 18 year old son drives my 19 year old Mazda SE5 pickup, also original owner. Wife moved up from her '92 Camry to a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I had that in for scheduled service last March and wound up trading it in using Toyota's 2.9% incentive financing.

Have a non-driving 21 year old daughter who will likely inherit the '92 Camry if and when I ever get my LEAF.

I drive my 2008 Smart Fortwo to work. I have 29,000 miles on it averaging about 37 MPG. I drive it
the same way I drive my Infiniti G35 6MT - full throttle all the time. My wife drive MB GLK on most day
and she takes the Fortwo if I take the G35.

I drive a BMW 540. 19 mpg total tank average. I drive around 8k miles a year, so it's not bad at all. If I can wrangle another spot at my condo I might keep it and have an ICE car for longer trips.

Crunchy said:
I currently drive a 2007 Prius, drive about 450 miles a week and spend around 30 bucks a week on gas. What about you guys? Has anyone estimated how much they'll save with the Leaf?

Crunchy,

I'm driving a 2008 Prius.

The cost of electricity in Montgomery County, Md is $0.16 per kWh

LEAF assumptions:
Range: 100 mile
Battery capacity: 24 kWh
Energy per mile including 10 % charging loss: 1.1*24000/100 = 264 Wh/mi

Prius gets 56 mpg
Cost to go 56 miles in LEAF: 0.16*56*264/1000 = $2.37

Cost to go 100 miles in LEAF: 0.16*100*264/1000 = $4.22

LEAF Cost per mile: $0.042 (electricity only)
Prius Cost per mile: $0.045 (gasoline only - actual data for my car since July 2008)

Given the high cost of electricity, the LEAF doesn't look like a big money saver. But it definitely has the wow factor.

kinschan said:
I drive my 2008 Smart Fortwo to work. I have 29,000 miles on it averaging about 37 MPG. I drive it
the same way I drive my Infiniti G35 6MT - full throttle all the time. My wife drive MB GLK on most day
and she takes the Fortwo if I take the G35.

kinschan, you might want to start "modifying" that behaviour, if you do that with the Leaf, your range will drop down to 60 or so miles. not good...

LTLFTcomposite said:
My "after six" car is a Daimler Unimog U500 Black Edition... because a Hummer just isn't retarded enough.

I like it. Not very useful, but very cool.

463663_792471_400_267_99438106c674_02.jpg

rokibler said:
Crunchy said:
I currently drive a 2007 Prius, drive about 450 miles a week and spend around 30 bucks a week on gas. What about you guys? Has anyone estimated how much they'll save with the Leaf?

Crunchy,

I'm driving a 2008 Prius.

The cost of electricity in Montgomery County, Md is $0.16 per kWh

LEAF assumptions:
Range: 100 mile
Battery capacity: 24 kWh
Energy per mile including 10 % charging loss: 1.1*24000/100 = 264 Wh/mi

Prius gets 56 mpg
Cost to go 56 miles in LEAF: 0.16*56*264/1000 = $2.37

Cost to go 100 miles in LEAF: 0.16*100*264/1000 = $4.22

LEAF Cost per mile: $0.042 (electricity only)
Prius Cost per mile: $0.045 (gasoline only - actual data for my car since July 2008)

Given the high cost of electricity, the LEAF doesn't look like a big money saver. But it definitely has the wow factor.

yep, for u i guess. my electricity rates are a bit lower so i guess it ok for me. so how are them free oil changes working for you?

rokibler said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
yep, for u i guess. my electricity rates are a bit lower so i guess it ok for me. so how are them free oil changes working for you?

free oil changes?

wasnt mentioned so figure he is not paying for them. on my Pri's. cost of gas runs about 5½-6 cents per mile (we have very high state tax to contend with) but other maintenance costs, namely oil and filters add nearly 1½ cents per mile on to that. making real cost closer to 7 cents a mile

basically it was a glib response to a tired response. i find it hard to believe it is all still a matter of dollars verses sense. considering what we are experiencing in the Gulf right now, we should realize that continuing to use oil is costing us much more than what we pay at the pump.

what is tragic is that what we are experiencing now has happened many many times. oil has destroyed other areas. has displaced millions out of their homes. has nearly wiped out an entire race of people. Texaco took oil out of South America and left hundred of millions of gallons toxic waste behind. in the 20 years they spent there, they completely destroyed the environment downstream from them. we dont hear much about this because these were basically tribes who are just now moving out of the stone age.

so how long are we going to continue to not move away from oil because it doesnt make financial sense? i can see not doing it because 100 miles isnt enough range. i can accept that. but to not do it because its not going to save one enough money??

DaveinOlyWA said:
rokibler said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

free oil changes?

wasnt mentioned so figure he is not paying for them. on my Pri's. cost of gas runs about 5½-6 cents per mile (we have very high state tax to contend with) but other maintenance costs, namely oil and filters add nearly 1½ cents per mile on to that. making real cost closer to 7 cents a mile

basically it was a glib response to a tired response. i find it hard to believe it is all still a matter of dollars verses sense. considering what we are experiencing in the Gulf right now, we should realize that continuing to use oil is costing us much more than what we pay at the pump.

what is tragic is that what we are experiencing now has happened many many times. oil has destroyed other areas. has displaced millions out of their homes. has nearly wiped out an entire race of people. Texaco took oil out of South America and left hundred of millions of gallons toxic waste behind. in the 20 years they spent there, they completely destroyed the environment downstream from them. we dont hear much about this because these were basically tribes who are just now moving out of the stone age.

so how long are we going to continue to not move away from oil because it doesnt make financial sense? i can see not doing it because 100 miles isnt enough range. i can accept that. but to not do it because its not going to save one enough money??
No disagreement here. I was responding to Crunchy's original question.

2001 KIA RIO
149,000 miles, 30-34 mpg.
I hope it holds on until my Leaf gets here next year. 45 miles a day commute, she has been a pretty good little Mule. I have been waiting my whole 43 years to buy a car that I want. Not one I need to commute but it will help. Not one I need for the kids but will have more room than I have now. Won't need my Yakima rack as I will have room inside for stuff. Gotta keep my eyes on the prize. :)

1995 VW Passat TD
1996 VW Passat TDI

Fuel efficient, but very dirty (diesel)

I barely use the '95 so that one is going to be scrapped. I'll keep the '96 as a backup car, the Leaf will be my daily driver. If the Leaf can get me to the cottage (62 miles) then the TDI well get very little use.

I'm in Quebec Canada and over 92% of the electricity comes from hydro so my carbon footprint will be drastically reduced (rates are awesome at 4.33 cents/kWh). Unfortunately I'll probably have to wait for the Leaf to be available early 2012.

Back