Poll : Will Volt "sales" top Leaf "sales" in Sept ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Volt beat Leaf US sales in Sep '11

• Yes, Volt sales will be higher

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • No, Leaf sales will be higher

Votes: 58 84.1%
  • Tie

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's a potentially naive observation/question about the monthly sales numbers presented in the first post.

I'm driving a leaf with a VIN ending in 5132 that was delivered to the dealer at the end of June and officially sold in July.

From the table, end of May US+J cumulative sales = 7255
Why would 5132 still be at large at the end of June?

It doesn't make any more sense if the US models have their own numbers, end of July US cumulative sales = 4825
So 5000 in the US wasn't broken until a month after I got 5132?

Is the end of the VIN not a true serial number? If so, how do you figure out your production number?
Did they skip 1000 on a US only series? If so, where do the three digit leaf numbers on the forum come from?

Just curious.

hgoudey said:
Here's a potentially naive observation/question about the monthly sales numbers presented in the first post.

I'm driving a leaf with a VIN ending in 5132 that was delivered to the dealer at the end of June and officially sold in July.

It doesn't make any more sense if the US models have their own numbers, end of July US cumulative sales = 4825

Is the end of the VIN not a true serial number? If so, how do you figure out your production number?
Did they skip 1000 on a US only series? If so, where do the three digit leaf numbers on the forum come from?

Just curious.

They clearly are skipping some numbers, but it doesn't look like they skip big blocks at a time. You might look at the order spreadsheet to see how the VINs were going out early on.

Since the VIN numbers are stamped all over the frame, I suspect they are assigned in Japan during production. For some reason, some must get abandoned, reassigned, or never used to start with.

The last 4 digits of my VIN are 0617, so it shows on the forum as 617.

Well, there has been some movement, they sent me an email to get my info, not just the email address. The whole shebang. They're sending me a promo tee with Powerhouse logo as a reward. Also told me I'm ahead in line. So I'm hopeful it's coming sooner than late 2012. Of course that's what the Leafers (Nissan) said too, and we moved from December 2010 to Jun 2011. Ah, the rollouts... Hurry up and wait.

ILETRIC said:
Well, there has been some movement, they sent me an email to get my info, not just the email address. The whole shebang. They're sending me a promo tee with Powerhouse logo as a reward. Also told me I'm ahead in line. So I'm hopeful it's coming sooner than late 2012. Of course that's what the Leafers (Nissan) said too, and we moved from December 2010 to Jun 2011. Ah, the rollouts... Hurry up and wait.
Well - I can cover the house with DOW - it isn't going to do any good untill next spring when the Sun peeks out again in Seattle ;)

Ha-ha. It did. Volt outsold Leaf in October 2011. Trouble in the paradise. I wonder what's going to happen once Ford EV goes online in the spring of 2012... They're taking orders starting tomorrow I believe.

Pure speculation, but I know it used to be common for British car manufactures to have separate ID#'s for LHD and RHD production. Would the numbers work our correct, for all Left-hand drive (US and European) sales?
AmarilloLeaf said:
hgoudey said:

Just curious.

They clearly are skipping some numbers, but it doesn't look like they skip big blocks at a time. You might look at the order spreadsheet to see how the VINs were going out early on.

Since the VIN numbers are stamped all over the frame, I suspect they are assigned in Japan during production. For some reason, some must get abandoned, reassigned, or never used to start with.

The last 4 digits of my VIN are 0617, so it shows on the forum as 617.

Back