Poll : Your Battery Status

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the capacity status of your Leaf's battery ?

• Under 10k miles - 12 bars

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • Under 10k miles - less than 12 bars

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Between 10k-20k miles - 12 bars

Votes: 70 37.2%
  • Between 10k-20k miles - less than 12 bars

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Over 20k miles - 12 bars

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Over 20k miles - less than 12 bars

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters

evnow

We haven't had a poll in a long time.

I'll create a few polls that would help gauge where we are ...

thankyouOB said:
i see a trend.
no degradation for the vast majority of LEAFS.
Well, that is if you assume 12 bars really means "no range loss", which it doesn't. 10K miles for me, in 16 months in the S.F. Bay Area near Palo Alto (sorry, more time in open parking lots than chilling on the coast)... and I have a tad under 10% range loss from new. (Sorry, no GID... just real world.) No impact to most of my use cases just yet, beyond visiting VLBW more than I like now. But let's see what happens in a year...

--Ron

grommet said:
thankyouOB said:
i see a trend.
Well, that is if you assume 12 bars really means "no range loss", which it doesn't. 10K miles for me, in 16 months in the S.F. Bay Area near Palo Alto (sorry, more time in open parking lots than chilling on the coast)... and I have a tad under 10% range loss from new. (Sorry, no GID... just real world.) No impact to most of my use cases just yet, beyond visiting VLBW more than I like now. But let's see what happens in a year...

--Ron

u r splitting hairs. i have range loss just like EVERYONE ELSE. it is impossible to have all your capacity because batteries start to lose capacity from Day one. in some cases like mine, the loss is slow but i still have loss of 2-4 %

Having 12 capacity bars just means that your capacity loss
is less than about 15%.

This poll is at best poorly worded, at worst a bit misleading.
However, the car does not give us much to judge capacity.
Many of us are experiencing reduced range.

But, thanks for your effort.

DaveinOlyWA said:
grommet said:
thankyouOB said:
i see a trend.

--Ron

u r splitting hairs. i have range loss just like EVERYONE ELSE. it is impossible to have all your capacity because batteries start to lose capacity from Day one. in some cases like mine, the loss is slow but i still have loss of 2-4 %
+1
Without a reference run when you got the car when you recorded all the conditions (temperature, wind) at constant speed on a flat road, no AC, windows closed, etc... and re-doing the exact same run to compare, I don't see how someone can claim to know about a 10% loss. If you have a method, I would love to try it because I too have not lost any bar and I am very curious to know how much I've actually lost.

Other than range testing under rather difficult to reproduce
driving conditions, and a way to measure the amount of fuel
energy remaining, the GIDs read from the LEAF's CAN bus
is about the best estimate that we currently have available.

I am working finding a very inexpensive OBD tool that will
at least read the LEAF's GIDs for us.

Reading the "real" SOC is of little use.

I'm at 10 bars with 15,000 miles and still driving the Leaf like I would drive any other car--about 1000 miles per month at normal freeway speeds, etc. Every charge is to 100% and most are to relatively deep discharge. In the spirit of learning and monitoring, I have discharged it to shutdown about 20 times and kept track of energy required for recharge. As of this date, I have only used a quick charger once. Any time the car sits for an extended period of time it is at about 60% SOC. The only time I used ECO mode was for the September 15th range test and for a month when it was relatively new to see if there was any benefit to efficiency.

Gerry

I encourage everyone to post their months of ownership, total miles and number of capacity bars info into their forum signature. And aso their location and VIN in their forum profile.

There is a 255 character limit. Average KWH per mile, owned or leased, solar or grid powered, L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% max rate are alll relevant to the conversation.

spike09 said:
I encourage everyone to post their months of ownership, total miles and number of capacity bars info into their forum signature. And aso their location and VIN in their forum profile.

There is a 255 character limit. Average KWH per mile, owned or leased, solar or grid powered, L1 or L2 charger, 80% or 100% max rate are alll relevant to the conversation.

Why? :?: :?: :?: :?: Whose business is that other than my own?

I don't think the poll provides enough data points to really determine any trends (but I voted anyway) Besides - we already know the answer to the question for the vast majority of LEAF owners - 12 bars.

The bar-lost-list on the wiki provides much better data - and has pretty charts to go with it, too. We already know that anyone not on the list very likely has 12 bars regardless of miles driven.

Nearly 10,000 miles here in 11 months, still charges to 277-281 gids and subjetively no range loss. I also QC a lot on some occasions, like 4 times yesterday. But I do live in Norway, where summer temps went above 77 F only two days this summer.

GerryAZ said:
I'm at 10 bars with 15,000 miles and still driving the Leaf like I would drive any other car--about 1000 miles per month at normal freeway speeds, etc. Every charge is to 100% and most are to relatively deep discharge. In the spirit of learning and monitoring, I have discharged it to shutdown about 20 times and kept track of energy required for recharge. As of this date, I have only used a quick charger once. Any time the car sits for an extended period of time it is at about 60% SOC. The only time I used ECO mode was for the September 15th range test and for a month when it was relatively new to see if there was any benefit to efficiency.

Gerry

Have you posted the results from:

I have discharged it to shutdown about 20 times and kept track of energy required for recharge.

If not, please report, with charge temperature or dates, if possible.

Which one of the range test cars was yours? Looks like you LEAF got ~72 miles, right?

http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Range_Test_on_Cars_with_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

29K and still have all 12 bars lit. No range loss that I can quantify. I definitely have day to day variations but I can't tell by how much the capacity has gone down.

GerryAZ said:

Gerry

wow, not sure if heat is your main issue or the deep cycling. by "shutdown" you mean turtle right?

ericsf said:
29K and still have all 12 bars lit. No range loss that I can quantify. I definitely have day to day variations but I can't tell by how much the capacity has gone down.

Eric; if i were a betting man, i would say your GID count is averaging between 267-270

Back