Pondering Acquisition

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP -- looks like we are in a very similar situation (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The dealer I am working with is allowing an overnight (or 2 night if I want) 2nd test drive next week. Trying to get the wife on board. Need to check out work charging options and L2 or Open EVSE options for charging at home. Also torn by the bird in the hand (better deals currently seeming to come available on the 2012s as the 2013s are around the corner) v. 2 in the bush (advancements confirmed / rumored in the 2013) dilemma.

Will only consider leasing. Would prefer 24 mo., but think that will raise the payments too high to make economical.

Keep us informed of your thought processes. I will do the same.

GaslessInSeattle said:
... on the test drive, be aware that you will not likely come close to the efficiency you will get as you get used to the car. typically, on the test drive and early on in ownership, folks want to "see what the car can do" and have fun with the instant torque, which by all meant do but whatever mileage you get on your commute test drive, will likely be close to the worst you will see....

Well, this may vary. My approach was at first to be very careful with the car. I did want to "see what it could do", but my initial curiosity was more about range and efficiency and finding those limits; becoming comfortable with the range and my abilities to manipulate it. A bit later I started driving the car more "normally", which then progressed I have to admit, to a decidedly profligate driving style. :oops: 7 months later I am now trending back towards a more sedate approach. :)

The stated route and the ability to charge at work makes this commute very easy. If you are concerned, learn to hyper mile. Everyone should be doing this as a matter of course, but I understand the enjoyment of pushing this car.

As others have stated, the money you save on gas will almost pay the lease payment.

NewCalifornian said:
When I discovered I could get a pass for the HOV lane I nearly signed up on the spot.
<snip>
I will have a RT commute of 72 miles with some hills on the way home. We do have a 120 outlet in the back of the office and could trickle charge through the day and drive our other vehicles for any scheduled field activity.
<snip>
It can get hot here but the winters are fairly mild. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated! Cheers
The Volt can go in the HOV lane as well. I bet you could fairly easily drive all 72 miles on electric in the Volt as well with charging 8 hrs at work on 120v.
See this for HOV info like VIN code: http://www.mychevroletvolt.com/chevy-volt-hov-carpool-lane-stickers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
I bet you could fairly easily drive all 72 miles on electric in the Volt as well with charging 8 hrs at work on 120v.
I'm a bit dubious, Scott. I agree he should be able to do the morning commute, at least if he doesn't feel forced to go 70 in the commute lane. but wouldn't the 800 foot climb in the evening mean some CS time, even if he holds his speed down to 60?

(Just wondering, not making any claims. I was an early Volt advocate, but eventually went with the LEAF instead, and have no freeway Volt experience as a basis for my doubts.)

Ray

OP -- looks like we are in a very similar situation

Thanks for the link. My son will be getting the 2002 QX4 and I will trade him on the days I have to go to Reno in the winter and trade with the wife and drive the YukonXL for other longer trips. It looks certain that we will be saving $1000s in electric bills with the our new solar home with a L2 already installed and couple that with the $400 a month in gas bills for a normal month driving, access to daily trickle charge, it is beginning to look like a no brainier. Going to the dealer in a couple of hours and hope to satisfy any remaining concerns as well as convince our "family CFO"... She is leaning my way but we will see.....

The Volt just doesn't do it for me like the LEAF. I hope the distance/charge anxiety doesn't trump that later if I end up leasing a LEAF today.

So the last hurdle is color. Black with windows smoked and black wheels could possibly make me feel like a 20 year old again (and satisfy my 3 son's "cool" meter)....or go with the pearl or grey. All are in stock...decisions, decisions.

@NewCali - make sure you check this thread before making a final decision (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Some good discussion on deals & the underlying notion is that if you can avoid putting any $ out of pocket down (using the rebate) you face less risk because if you total it, the "gap insurance" will cover your future payments, but you can never get any down payment back.

Let us know how you make out.

I am proud to announce I am now the owner of a 2012 Pearl Nissan LEAF!! I am LOVING it!!!

Unfortunately I must have been too excited and I think I screwed up the registration for the CarWings. I was using the iPad and I must have plugged in an erronious email and user name. Doesn't recognize either. Tried to do it again with a different email but now telling me invalid VIN number...looks like a call to techical support is in order but they aren't open until Monday. :eek:(

^^^
Congrats! I'd be very curious to see if you have any early battery capacity loss a year from now or earlier than most two years from now.

Sounds great. Congratulations! :D

You may also want to ask the prior home owner if they were in any special electrical rate schedules. I'm not sure about Sacramento (you're under SMUD, right?), but in Fresno (PG&E), you have some choices to make (solar vs EV rates, Time of Use vs non-TOU rates).

I've found that the LEAF works fine in the California Central Valley. Have fun driving again!

you have some choices to make (solar vs EV rates, Time of Use vs non-TOU rates).

Randy3 the house is E6. I was a little nervous about the "time of use" rate and elelected to go the solar flat @ $0.13 cents a kw hour until we get some history. I was told the time of use is locked for a year but we can change the flat to time of use at any time. Any thoughts?

Now I need to find local car insurance....anyone have any suggestions for northern cal?

Ps...the maiden voyage to the office today was stellar...so much fun...lead foot and all....plugged in at the office ( morning only in the cool) full charge for the ride home and another lead foot adventure...I was squealing like the Geico pig all the way home!

NewCalifornian said:
you have some choices to make (solar vs EV rates, Time of Use vs non-TOU rates).

Randy3 the house is E6. I was a little nervous about the "time of use" rate and elelected to go the solar flat @ $0.13 cents a kw hour until we get some history. I was told the time of use is locked for a year but we can change the flat to time of use at any time. Any thoughts?
~snip

If you're under PG&E tariffs and look into time of use rates, look closely at your electric use between 2pm and 9pm Monday through Friday. Tier 1 rates at those tmes run about 32 cents/kwh (summer only -- May through October). If your PV solar works well enough during those hours, you can take advantage of really low late-night rates. If your not sure, or need time to analyze usage, keep what you have for awhile.

We have a 5.2 kw system and have been on TOU for a year. It looks like we'll be paying PG&E about $200 this year. Last year (without TOU), we paid about $500. The summer AC for the house is a killer, even with the solar.

Back