Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafitbe said:
Thanks for the advice on this guys.
I've been quick charging like crazy (376 in total).

The thing that's infuriating is the Ahr seems to only drop if I drive a bit. And fast.
So I try driving it up this steep hill every now and then.
But every time I do it burns a mile.

Nervewracking.

I hope this works.

Here's the latest, I'm at 41.60

http://imgur.com/xyWTFa8

xyWTFa8
Unfortunately I don't think you are going to be able to get it to update enough with only 5 miles left, you are so close but just not enough miles :/

leafitbe said:

The thing that's infuriating is the Ahr seems to only drop if I drive a bit. And fast.

Nervewracking.

I hope this works.

I wouldn't burn up miles by just going up a steep hill for a mile or whatever. That's nothing in terms of heating up the battery and is just wasting your precious miles. Hope QueenBee is wrong about the figures not updating unless the car moves, or that you can just get it to update by going back/forth on your driveway.

How many miles were on the car when it was first sold? Although I wouldn't want to pass 60K miles, you might be able to argue that you should get a pass for 60K + miles on the car at pickup. I really would NOT chance it, at this point. I can only hope Nissan powerwalling it, fully charging it, leaving it at 100% at higher temps and draining fully by running the heater at full for the next few months is enough.

cwerdna said:
leafitbe said:

Nervewracking.

I hope this works.

I wouldn't burn up miles by just going up a steep hill for a mile or whatever. That's nothing in terms of heating up the battery and is just wasting your precious miles. Hope QueenBee is wrong about the figures not updating unless the car moves, or that you can just get it to update by going back/forth on your driveway.

How many miles were on the car when it was first sold? Although I wouldn't want to pass 60K miles, you might be able to argue that you should get a pass for 60K + miles on the car at pickup. I really would NOT chance it, at this point. I can only hope Nissan powerwalling it, fully charging it, leaving it at 100% at higher temps and draining fully by running the heater at full for the next few months is enough.

Pretty sure it had 0 miles when sold.
At least that's how it looks on the CarFax.
I have been draining and recharging it for months now.
The only way I could get the Ahr to budge was to drive it a bit.
I might be screwed.

It's good to hear your thoughts, amigos.

b8Ze72P.png

leafitbe said:

Nervewracking.

I hope this works.

http://imgur.com/xyWTFa8

xyWTFa8

How are you at 41.60 and not lost that bar. I thought most people lose their bar at 43.7 to 43.1. Is this incorrect?
I will do some testing to let you know how soon my AHX updates.

Current stats in hope to get a new battery:

Mileage: AHr
56,570.00 43.91
60,000 miles in 3,557.800mi

Total average:
1AH 4,873.35 mi
.05 AH 243.67 mi
moving Average (3):
120.45mi -0.09ahr

Moving average estimates:
56,875.76 43.69
57,292.70 43.39
60,000.00 41.44

total average:
59,737.68 43.26
59,981.35 43.21
60,225.02 43.16

I am unsure of the warranty date:
Next week I will stop driving and use the AC to degrade the batteries.
5 days a week my car is charged from 0 to 100 2 times lv2 outside and lv1 inside.
I have 40 QC and QC it on the hottest days.

Getting close. but worryed as others are saying there at 41 hr and still not dropping.

kjpowers said:
Current stats in hope to get a new battery:

Mileage: AHr
56,570.00 43.91
60,000 miles in 3,557.800mi

Total average:
1AH 4,873.35 mi
.05 AH 243.67 mi
moving Average (3):
120.45mi -0.09ahr

Moving average estimates:
56,875.76 43.69
57,292.70 43.39
60,000.00 41.44

total average:
59,737.68 43.26
59,981.35 43.21
60,225.02 43.16

I am unsure of the warranty date:
Next week I will stop driving and use the AC to degrade the batteries.
5 days a week my car is charged from 0 to 100 2 times lv2 outside and lv1 inside.
I have 40 QC and QC it on the hottest days.

Getting close. but worryed as others are saying there at 41 hr and still not dropping.

Running the heater full blast will drain the battery quicker then the A/C will.

If you can, go 70+ on the freeway to drain battery quickly, then do a QC, then run the battery down again and do another QC, this should get the battery good and hot! Hopefully it will help drop that 4th bar!

kjpowers said:
How are you at 41.60 and not lost that bar. I thought most people lose their bar at 43.7 to 43.1. Is this incorrect?

Yes, I believe it is incorrect. I don't have a complete list, but I grabbed some info off the forum about when people's 4th bar dropped, and the average of the samples I took was about 42.02. One guy "said" about 43 (although I don't think that was based on actual loss, just hearsay like your post). The high of the reports I sampled was 42.76 and the low was 40.99.

I personally was hopeful given the initial "43" report that I might be able to make the cutoff (doing similar analyses to what you have done), but alas, once the heat of the summer dissipated, my rate of drop pretty much flattened out. I passed 60K with 43.43 AHr. I'm now sitting at 42.55 and 61,466 miles. AHr are barely budging now (despite a couple of hot weeks that did drive it down from 43.2 to 42.6. If summer was another 3 months longer, I probably could've made it!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&p=473995#p473995 - maybe I am the first on record with a 5/2013 leaf with 4 bars lost and new battery?

There are many messages in this forum stating that 2011-2012 on 8 bars have little regen. My regen seemed to not be affected by the missing bars. I noticed regen on normal (D) drive and when using B mode for breaking. Both had similar effects (as I remember), in both the breaking feeling and screen info (including reaching four bubbles or 30 kW). While personally I cannot compare the experience with 2011-2012, this will be an indication that 2013 and later models behave better at least with regard to regen.

With regard to battery capacity, for 2011-2012, the first 4 bars were lost after 14 months. Mine (a 5/2013) was close to 31 months - double, but still on the low side for regions with hot weather like AZ. I have three more years to the next 8 bars.

Leafitbe -
Rather than trying to get it to drop the 4th bar in just 13 miles left, I thought the "out-of-warranty" program might offer a good opportunity to continue driving and charging your car normally, and still get some assistance. Nissan paid for 75% of my replacement, and 90% of my friends, and both were past the warranty limit (although only barely). Check out my other posts on the subject.
Bob

lpickup said:
kjpowers said:
I passed 60K with 43.43 AHr. I'm now sitting at 42.55 and 61,466 miles. AHr are barely budging now (despite a couple of hot weeks that did drive it down from 43.2 to 42.6.

Ironically, I lost my 4th bar a few days later. 42.51AHr, 61,490 miles. Bummer!

lpickup said:
Call up the EV hotline and ask for out-of-warranty assistance. If you meet Nissan's mysterious criteria, they may offer to pay for part or all of a new battery pack.

drees said:
lpickup said:
Call up the EV hotline and ask for out-of-warranty assistance. If you meet Nissan's mysterious criteria, they may offer to pay for part or all of a new battery pack.

I may give it a shot, but I literally just received a fairly significant check from Nissan for out of warranty assistance (for a bad/very expensive reduction gear--don't tell me EVs don't have transmissions!) for being 200 miles over warranty, so I suspect they may not be willing to help me out again.

lpickup said:
I may give it a shot, but I literally just received a fairly significant check from Nissan for out of warranty assistance (for a bad/very expensive reduction gear--don't tell me EVs don't have transmissions!) for being 200 miles over warranty, so I suspect they may not be willing to help me out again.

Seriously? Failure of the reduction gear on the Leaf?! WTF can they possibly mess upon on a gear system that doesn't have to change gears at all, but simply just exist?!

I'm not upset at all with you, but with Nissan. Something like that should be able to live for 200,000 miles without even being looked at with a sideways glance.

Well, this is getting a little OT, however, the reduction gear issue is apparently well known at Nissan. My wife had a LEAF that was making a noise that stumped the dealer (not surprising). Nissan immediately suggested replacing the reduction gear, which didn't appear to help. The dealer suggested opening a case with Nissan to get a tech out to listen to the noise, which I did, but they wanted me to get a second opinion (by now a year had elapsed). They wanted to get a second opinion, so we took it to another dealer and they were again told to replace the reduction gear (which again, didn't work). The engineer from Nissan eventually came out and was stumped as well. They even tried replacing the entire front axle. All of this was at Nissan's expense BTW. Finally Nissan agreed to buy the vehicle back from us (so yes, Nissan has been VERY good to us), but the point I wanted to make was that they were definitely focused on the reduction gear issue. When my car started making its noise (sounded like a card stuck in bicycle spokes, but only under load/regen), I actually suspected it may be the reduction gear problem, and lo and behold, after replacing it, the sound did go away! And as I mentioned, Nissan did cover it for me.

While I could be annoyed at the fact that the component lasted fewer than 60K miles, my frustration is mainly that this was a $2500 repair for a "simple" reduction gear (about $1800 for the part).

Finally lost my 9th bar today.
Dropped at 41.22 AHr.
SOH = 62%

However, now I'm 250 miles over 60K.
I hope the Nissan EV help line offers some assistance.

Durandal said:
lpickup said:

Seriously? Failure of the reduction gear on the Leaf?! WTF can they possibly mess upon on a gear system that doesn't have to change gears at all, but simply just exist?!

I'm not upset at all with you, but with Nissan. Something like that should be able to live for 200,000 miles without even being looked at with a sideways glance.
Maybe you've never seen the semi-common multiple drive unit replacements Teslas seem to go through before they make it to the 100K mile mark.

Back