Power Inverter and Space Heater in Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Klayfish said:
greengate said:
I have a 12 volt electric lap blanket. Not sure of it's draw, but not maybe not too much. It warms the legs and lap very nicely. This type of a warming device might work for you.

I was thinking about getting one of these, but don't know how much it will deplete the range as compared to running the heater. Anyone have any guesses?

The post before yours mentions 50w, which is much, much less than what the car's heater will use.

Klayfish said:
greengate said:
I have a 12 volt electric lap blanket. Not sure of it's draw, but not maybe not too much. It warms the legs and lap very nicely. This type of a warming device might work for you.

I was thinking about getting one of these, but don't know how much it will deplete the range as compared to running the heater. Anyone have any guesses?

In a previous post, someone mentioned 7 amps draw at 12 volts for a lap throw. That would be 84 watts, so in a one hour drive it will take 84 watt/hours of energy, which would equate to about 1/3 of a mile range reduction if you get 4 miles/kwhr. In contrast, if you are careful with the Leaf's heater and only draw about 1.5 kw, it would reduce range by about 6 miles per hour driven. If you just use the car heater normally, and it draws about 3 kw, it would reduce range by about 12 miles per hour driven. Of course, actual current draw of the Leafs resistance heater will depend on outside temperature, and how you have the climate control set up.

I'd forgotten about this topic. Anyway, if you look at my 'Heater In a Box' topic, you'll see that I have successfully put together a system to provide enough heat to warm the driver's legs and feet, and even head, with a second 200 watt AC heater. It uses a separate storage battery to spare the Leaf's accessory battery (and eliminate lease-related issues with wiring), but it could also work as a hardwired setup, with a larger accessory battery replacing the OEM wimpy unit.

Here is an idea I experimented with: a small solid state thermoelectric 12V cooler, the kind sized to hold about a six pack of sodas, inside completely filled with water in a well-sealed bag. Run the cooler in "warming" mode to heat up the water. When heat is needed in the morning, run in "cool" mode, the TEG and fan pumps the heat out of the water along with the inefficiency (waste heat) of the TEG junction device.

The unit I tried this with used 60W at 12V. Not sure how much heat "equivalent" I was getting, but it sure seemed like a lot more than what 60W of resistance heat would provide. The water also adds some weight and could leak, but it was only a few liters. This provided surprising amounts of warm air until the water was well chilled.

The system took many hours at 60W to recharge (reheat) the now chilled water. However, that reversibility makes for an interesting solution to heat storage in a commuter EV that spends hours charging overnight and then needs only 30 minutes or so of heat back out. Perhaps even better would be a phase change material like wax. Looks like there is quite a lot of research into thermal storage. Who knew.

Doing some calculations assuming 1 gallon of water starting out at 140F and chilling down to 45F yields about 250 Wh plus whatever waste heat added from the thermoelectric cooler (probably 50W or so). Perhaps not as effective as LiIon battery storage of energy, but heat storage is an interesting method for dealing with a long EV charging time coupled with a short driving time where cabin heat is needed.

We have used old 1 gallon bleach jugs (thicker walls and seals up nicely) and filled them with hot water and microwave them for 5 minutes. They start about 150F and just set them in the car. The kids would hold them on wrapped their laps, but then uncover them and leave them on their seats to get more heat out of them. Oddly enough I found this method out when we primarily drove our Jetta diesel, which would never heat up in winter. We could run to swim practice, let the car sit in 0F for 2 hours and come out to a not frozen car with no humidity issues because they were sealed, at that point he kids would just hold the jugs on their laps to warm themselves up.

I did also have a few 5 gallon jugs that we did the same thing with and left them in the back of the wagon to help keep it warm, but it was a lot more work and were only as warm as the tap since we couldn't microwave them :)

Back