Prospective buyer sanity check - 62 miles (100 km) / day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsorsean

I am on the verge of buying a 2012 Leaf SL (great deal right now) as my commuter vehicle and looking to make sure I don't have unrealistic expectations.

My situation is this:
  • 50 km commute each way (~62 miles total)
  • 60 - 80 kph speeds, rural roads (40-50 mph)
  • No charging at work, at least not yet
  • Southern Ontario, so summer and winter conditions
  • I have another family car for long trips
  • Assuming I would have the car for 4-5 years

Does this seem reasonable? Can I expect to have at least that much range even on the hottest or coldest days with climate control on? And after 5 years when capacity has dropped a little?

I am excited about the prospect of having an electric car, hoping it does not cloud my judgement!

When it is below freezing your commute will be marginal. Heater is not very efficient. I hear the 2013 heater is more efficient. But 62 is really pushing it.
Good luck.

newownermnl
If you were on Facebook, please be sure to check in with Canada Nissan Leaf Owners. You might find some of the owners there to be well qualified to answer your questions.

Honestly, I wouldn't bank on getting 60+ miles on a charge in the winter. Do you think you could convince your employer to install a charge station? Are there any quick charge stations on your route?

I have a 2012 SL in upstate NY and I wouldn't be comfortable trying a 62 mile round trip in below freezing weather, even if I was willing to not use the heater at all. You need reliable ability to charge at work, or wait for an EV with greater range.
You can read alot here about capacity loss on this forum, but I guess the bottom line is that Nissan capacity warranty only covers loss below 70%.
IF you want to take the chance, I would definitely suggest looking at leasing, rather than purchase.

get charging at work.
then you are home pretty. without it, i would think about it long and hard and be prepared for cold driving.

You have unrealistic expectations. No way no how will you make the commute after a couple of years or in subzero temps. You need a work charger first.

I suggest you lease for two years, not buy. Going those slower speeds like 40- 45mph will help your range quite a bit with some coasting in N.

Great info, really appreciate all the replies!

I was planning on talking to my work about potentially trickle charging during the day but I didn't want to have to rely on it. But based on the responses I am not sure even that would leave me with enough of a safety margin. My region is not yet ready for EVs, no chargers in the town at all.

I'll have to have a serious think, potentially look at PHEV options instead.

Thanks all for the feedback!

I'm in Ottawa and my round trip commute is 63 kms / 40 miles. I have no charging at work. There were a few times this winter when temps went down to -25 celsius / -13 f, and I arrived home with the low battery warning on - and this was with a brand new 2012 Leaf. At -5 C you'd be fine, but not for those days that things get really cold - though you likely don't get many of those down in Windsor :)

If you have another ICE, just switch on those really cold days (months?). As others have said, L1 at work for 8 hrs would make 100 km easy, even in the worst weather.

I really appreciate all the great feedback! I like Reddy's suggestion of switching cars on the cold days. My wife has a 60km round trip commute so would have less of a concern. She normally has the larger vehicle for dropping kids at daycare but I could do that in a pinch (adds 30 mins to my commute) or move the car seats to the Leaf. And I think charging at work is doable.

So not out of the question I just need to give it careful thought.

Thanks again for all the comments!

jswilson - Thanks for the more northern Canadian perspective. We don't see -25 very often but we do get the occasional deep freeze!

I have a 2012 Leaf and live in Connecticut with 36 mile one way commute. I am able to plug in (L1) at work so I only charge to 100% if it is really cold (below 20F) or snow is expected. I use 5 bars (out of 12) one way on average. Round trip is theoretically possible with a new battery.

I have had a worst case commute with freezing rain that required me to use the defroster much of the time which used 8 bars even after a 30 minute preheat while plugged in.

You need to be able to plug in at work -if only to reduce the stress on the way home.

Back