Providence Hospital 16 EVSEs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB

I noticed Blink added EVSEs at the Providence Holy Cross Hospital in Mission Hills, CA but I did a double-take when the map said 10+ chargers? The details actually show 16 total so I went over to check them out. Apparently they've added a new wing to the hospital and they've decided to place the chargers around the rotunda at the front entrance. It looks very cool but this is the area used for patient loading/unloading, physician parking, and other short term uses and most all spaces where occupied when I drove through. I won't use the term "ICEd" since where else are these cars supposed to park?

Then I found the following statement, "A hospital in Mission Hills has become the first medical center in the city of Los Angeles to install recharging stations for electric vehicles, an official said. "Anyone can power their car for a $6 fee," .... "All they have to do is pull their car up to a power station at the hospital." The installation of the stations was paid for a by a $70,000 grant from the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power...."This is just part of our effort to go green," she said".

This just seems like a poorly executed idea geared more towards putting a green feather in these parties caps, rather than doing what makes sense. Did Blink over-sell them so that they could easily add 16 stations to their roster? DWP gave then $70k for what?
This is not a good place for longer term parking plus who is going to stop at a hospital to charge their car? This would be a great place for a couple of stations, but can't help but think they could have spread the other 14 out to other more user-friendly locations.

All I can say is WOW....I sure hope someone learns a lesson from this, because whoever was responsible for architecting this solution did not pay attention to any previous lessons learned. What a collosal waste.

Particularly amusing when there are two Blinks behind the Kinkos at Chatsworth and Zelzah in Granada Hills which are free and only about two miles way from the hospital...

DTB said:
All they have to do is pull their car up to a power station at the hospital."

TomT said:
Particularly amusing when there are two Blinks behind the Kinkos at Chatsworth and Zelzah in Granada Hills which are free and only about two miles way from the hospital...
But if I need to be at the hospital, I'd happy pay $6 to charge - 2 miles is a 30 min walk and presumably if I'm at the hospital I don't have time to spare.

drees said:
TomT said:
But if I need to be at the hospital, I'd happy pay $6 to charge - 2 miles is a 30 min walk and presumably if I'm at the hospital I don't have time to spare.

Haha, well if you are rushing to the hospital I doubt you'd take the time to swipe your card and plug-in anyway.
I think it's great that they incorporated charging stations in their new construction but I question the location and number of stations. They spent $180M on building a new wing, I doubt there was any incremental cost to add those stations yet they still had Blink install them plus took $70k of DWP money. If Providence really wanted to be green they could have spread those chargers out to all of their LA area hosptals (seems like they own most of them now).
I've never seen 16 EVSEs in one location, let alone in front of a hospital?? I feel that Blink is taking the easy route instead of pushing the heavy hitters that could actually make a difference. Westfield runs most of the malls and Douglas Emmitt has 15M sq ft of office & retail space throughout LA yet neither has any installs that I am aware of.

Back