put a gas powered generator in the trunk,conn trickle charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acegreatone

can you put a generator in the trunk and plug the trickle charger into it while you are driving? with the cord thru the window. lol incase i have to go to pa or upstate ny to pick up a leaf thats about 300 miles away??? im not going to do it. i was just wondering if anyone ever thought of it or tried it. p.s keep your windows down if you plan on doing this or tow the generator. those fumes cant be good in a confined space. :lol:

Not practical, besides, you can't drive the car and charge. Do what I did with a fit ev for my son, drove 250 miles door-to-door. Drove it from Paramus, NJ to Camillus, NY and charged along the way at two charging stations. Yes it took a whole day but it made the trip more interesting! I was an experienced EV driver, having my leaf for a year, so I was able to get high miles/kW in the fit by driving it efficiently. Good luck!

What an interesting idea... I wonder if there is some sort of way to make this kind of idea work. If you ever plan on trying in it, let me know how it goes haha

KickinLeaf said:
Not practical, besides, you can't drive the car and charge. Do what I did with a fit ev for my son, drove 250 miles door-to-door. Drove it from Paramus, NJ to Camillus, NY and charged along the way at two charging stations. Yes it took a whole day but it made the trip more interesting! I was an experienced EV driver, having my leaf for a year, so I was able to get high miles/kW in the fit by driving it efficiently. Good luck!
ahh i forgot u cant charge and drive... there has to be a way to override it somehow :twisted:

A Volt is bad enough with its ICE, but at least that engine was designed to meet Federal and CARB pollution requirements. Gas powered generators, like lawn mowers, don't have to meet any pollution requirements and therefore most are gross polluters. IMO, using a polluting gas generator to extend the range just seems to go against everything the Leaf stands for.

I think a better solution is to mount a RAT (Ram Air Turbine) driving a generator on a strut attached to the roof. The faster you drive, the more you power generate, and it is clean, zero emissions.

Of course you can charge while you're driving.... It's called regen. I suppose it could be possible to install a generator on the regen circuit to charge while you drive. Of course you could just drive with your foot on the break to turn your LEAF into a perpetual energy device and save the costs of a Ram Air Turbo. :lol:

Just take an extension cord from a friends car in front of your Leaf,

then tie it up like a rope and tow your Leaf home...

You just need to build yourself one of these things.

http://evalbum.com/753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

753a.jpg

Small gas generators are terribly inefficient, very emission heavy, only marginally safe in the application you suggest, and fraught with other problems. It's a bad idea. Period.

acegreatone said:
TomT said:
It is a terrible idea on so many levels!
acegreatone said:
ahh i forgot u cant charge and drive... there has to be a way to override it somehow :twisted:
but your avatar says so much about you and this thing we are trying to create.... push the envelope!!!

Latest posts

Back