PV panel orientation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drees....you've got me convinced. I'm going with the micro-inverters. Of course, the contractor doesn't know that yet. But even if they aren't an Enphase dealer, the modules look pretty easy to come buy and I don't think the installation learning curve will be that steep - I watched some of the training videos on the Enphase website and I believe I could probably do it myself!

Just a question about your production....some days it seems you get a nice clean curve, like Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Other days, there area a lot of dips in system performance (yesterday afternoon for example). What causes those?

garygid said:
We call them clouds.
LOL! :D Had some thunderstorm roll through yesterday afternoon. This warm weather also reduces output...

Enphase has a list of all publicly viewable systems, fun to see what other systems are doing. Would be nice if they listed the type of panels that are installed.

http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/all_public_systems

Educational:

Here is a nicely-constructed site that displays PV Generation
data from just a few users, but the History button shows data
by year, month, day, and day-graph. A well-done display
that allows seeing real-time data, the production curve
for the day, or past days.

http://livesolar.net/sumpage.htm

One can easily see the effects of clouds, and
days with less-clear air.

Enjoy.

OK, I think I got this all worked out. The only problem now....I think it's gonna cost me!

18 x Sunpower 315 panels on the south facing roof with a single SB5000 inverter.

So, yes, the Sunpower panels are probably going to be hugely expensive. But compared to 26 or 28 lesser output panels, plus a bunch of micro-inverters or a two-inverter system,...unless the cost is obscene or the panels are made of unobtainium, I think it might just be the way to go. Plus it might be easier to get these panels right now as government agencies and non-profits across CA cancel their orders because the incentives are on hold.

The IRS conveniently "did not get" my Solar tax credit form along with all my other 2009 tax forms, and they made me file an "amended" return (to re-file the same figures and forms) ... which they say takes about 5 months to process, delaying my potentially large tax refund. :(

garygid said:
The IRS conveniently "did not get" my Solar tax credit form along with all my other 2009 tax forms, and they made me file an "amended" return (to re-file the same figures and forms) ... which they say takes about 5 months to process, delaying my potentially large tax refund. :(

e-file!

for that advice, I get 2% of the potentially large refund. :lol:

mwalsh said:
...18 x Sunpower 315 panels on the south facing roof with a single SB5000 inverter...

I just settled on a "2nd tier" panel system rather than Sunpower. If you are short of roof space for the amount of power you want to generate, then Sunpower can help. Otherwise, in my case, a Sunpower system would have cost about 20% more than a similar-kWh system made out of brand X panels.

Well, the Sunpower 315s were just a bit too pricey. I thought worst case would be maybe $1200 each when, in fact, they were over $1600 a piece :shock: .

So we're going with the Sunpower 215s instead. These are really skinny, and the contractor reckons we can get a 27 on that south facing roof, as long as the city gives us a variance on fire department required 36" setback from the roof peak. It's not unheard of....the only other house in the neighborhood with solar has panels covering the entire south facing roof (see picture below). The fire department would still be able to vent the roof at it's highest point, only on the other side of the peak.

That will give me a system size of 5.8kw. Perfect.

Reason I wanted to go Sunpower....they have a 12mo SAC financing offer. Even thought their panels are slightly more expensive than second tier ones, not having to worry about a payment until the economy improves might be valuable. Plus the Sunpower panels are really efficient.

Loara_street_house.jpg

Back