Question about Leaf S charging options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
There are two ways to look at this. If you don't need maximum range and don't mind losing range to heat on most trips, then an S is fine. If you run the heat for defrost/defogging a lot, and would like to occasionally be able to drive more than 50 miles while doing so, then an SV with heatpump is still a better bet.
Actually, there are as many ways to look at this as different climates in which you might live (for instance the difference between upstate NY and western Oregon). I described my experience in comparing the performance of an SV and an S on the same roads with the same mild climatic conditions. Seldom have I observed any appreciable difference between the two models in loss of range due to use of heater or defroster in my applications (in fairness, I do preheat on cold mornings). On MOST trips I don't even use the heater or defroster, so on MOST trips there is assuredly no difference.

On MOST trips I don't even use the heater or defroster, so on MOST trips there is assuredly no difference.

This doesn't make you a great source of info for climate control use, then, does it? Most people, when they acquire a Leaf, intend to use the climate control regularly, if not constantly. I, on the other hand, use the climate control for everything from A/C in hot, humid weather, to defogging, to heat in frigid temps. I use it for 95% of my driving, in part because I drive a lot at night and in the evening, as opposed to, say, late morning when CC use isn't as likely to be needed. I don't have any experience driving an S in mild but wet weather, but I've read posts from people who do, and they say it's a significant drain on the pack.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't have any experience driving an S in mild but wet weather, but I've read posts from people who do, and they say it's a significant drain on the pack.
You aren't going to let this go, are you. I own and drive an EV in a mild and wet climate, and have for 4 years. The majority of my driving, I do not use climate control and I have posted my experience. I don't know who "they" are.

Dooglas said:
LeftieBiker said:
I don't have any experience driving an S in mild but wet weather, but I've read posts from people who do, and they say it's a significant drain on the pack.
You aren't going to let this go, are you. I own and drive an EV in a mild and wet climate, and have for 4 years. The majority of my driving, I do not use climate control and I have posted my experience. I don't know who "they" are.

I don't use climate control. Hot or cold I either roll windows up or down, guess I am old school. Doesnt matter EV or ICE Grew up like this in California.

Back