Questions we still have about Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

As we have weekly test drives - I think it is a good idea to consolidate all the questions we still have about Leaf. People going to test drive can try to get answers to these questions. Post you questions here - I'll consolidate them.

Specs :

1. What are the interior dimensions (should/head/leg space)
2. What is the Bolt Pattern and wheel Offset for the LEAF? It is a 5-??? and unknown Offset. If someone can measures "across the star" pattern in mm it will be a start.
3. What OBD/CAN connector does Leaf support
4. Crash Test Results : When will we get them ? Are there any 3rd party tests coming out with results soon ?

Battery :

1. Is 24 kwh the usable capacity of the battery ? If so, what is the nominal capacity of the pack ?
2. What will trigger the battery warranty ?

IT System/Music :

1. Does Leaf run on Windows Automotive 7 ? Or is it an earlier version ?
2. What features of Windows Automotive 7 are being actually used / implemented ?
3. What A2DP/ACRCP bluetooth music streaming does Leaf support ?
4. Does the USB port support Microsoft devices (Zune, Windows Phone) ?
5. Will the web-based application (for those of us without a smart phone) be strictly browser based, or will we need to install proprietary software ?
6. Are there apps being developed for Amdroid, Windows Phone 7 apart from iPhone ?

Towing :

1. How an unattended, locked LEAF should be loaded onto a flat-bed (to avoid any damage)
Questions: If the car needs to be towed (assuming it can be towed), how should the car 'settings' be configured?
a) Does the car need to be switched on? Presumably yes to disengage the electric brake.
b) Should neutral or drive be selected?
c) When being towed, will regenerative charging occur?

2. Is there a suitable location to mount a trailer hitch? (For a hitch-mount bicycle rack)

6. What is the Bolt Pattern and wheel Offset for the LEAF? It is a 5-??? and unknown Offset. If someone can measures "across the star" pattern in mm it will be a start. Thanks.

Is there a wheel-jack so that one can change a tire, or fix a flat?

I saw a lug-nut wrench and two other "tools" in the compartment on the driver's-side of the cargo area.

Does anyone know whether we would need a AT&T smartphone for CARWINGS - or does Leaf have the hardware to talk to thier data center using AT&T on its own ?

evnow said:
Does anyone know whether we would need a AT&T smartphone for CARWINGS - or does Leaf have the hardware to talk to thier data center using AT&T on its own ?
The Nissan LEAF will have 2-way cellular communications similar to an Amazon Kindle. The reason for choosing AT&T is outlined in the following article:
http://gigaom.com/cleantech/the-nissan-leaf-connected-by-att/

7) what is the price of the carwing service after the 3 years complimentary period is over?

last thing I want is to pay for another cellular service when I am already carrying a 4G smartphone.

chuffpdx said:
question: Connecting to the car via smartphone (android, blackberry, etc.) vs. iPhone. Are there any differences?
The LEAF does not directly connect to your smartphone. It communicates only with the CARWINGS data center via a GSM cellular data connection. Currently, there is an iPhone app that will allow you to access your CARWINGS account to send commands to and receive data from your LEAF. I would think that Android and Blackberry apps are being planned. Also, a web-based interface is being developed. That leads me to the following question:

8) Will you be able to communicate with your LEAF if there is no adequate GSM or 3G cellular signal where your car is located?

BruinLEAFer said:
chuffpdx said:
question: Connecting to the car via smartphone (android, blackberry, etc.) vs. iPhone. Are there any differences?
The LEAF does not directly connect to your smartphone. It communicates only with the CARWINGS data center via a GSM cellular data connection. Currently, there is an iPhone app that will allow you to access your CARWINGS account to send commands to and receive data from your LEAF. I would think that Android and Blackberry apps are being planned. Also, a web-based interface is being developed. That leads me to the following question:

8) Will you be able to communicate with your LEAF if there is no adequate GSM or 3G cellular signal where your car is located?

I don't think so. No. But it will give you text messages supposedly if it gets unplugged or it can text you reminders to plug in.

lettcco said:
7) what is the price of the carwing service after the 3 years complimentary period is over?

last thing I want is to pay for another cellular service when I am already carrying a 4G smartphone.

I was told it would be "affordable".

I remember looking it up somewhere and it was $40/year. But pls don't quote me. I could be completely wrong and misremembering.

Although I don't think they'll have answers for these since they are "delivery" related but it doesn't hurt to ask:

1) a) When will the Cold Weather Package be available?
b) How much will it cost?
c) What is included? Heated Seats?

2) When will the 6.6kW charger mentioned by Mark Perry be made available and for how much will this upgrade go?

Will the car have a spare tire?

Will the web-based application (for those of us without a smart phone) be strictly browser based, or will we need to install proprietary software of unknown security and stability (like all the garbage software from Micro$oft)? And will it be as buggy as the dashboards on the Leaf web site?

And on a related note: Will we be able to turn Carwings off when it turns out to be so buggy that it keeps sending false messages to the car?

cdub said:
lettcco said:

I remember looking it up somewhere and it was $40/year. But pls don't quote me. I could be completely wrong and misremembering.

The only affordable option for me will be WIFI. I sure hope someone learns how to hack the system to enable direct wireless communication.

smkettner said:
The only affordable option for me will be WIFI. I sure hope someone learns how to hack the system to enable direct wireless communication.
Some towns and cities are fortunate enough to have free wide area WiFi, but not many. Only a cellular connection would work for a system like CARWINGS, because cellular service is available in most places nationwide (or worldwide).

lettcco said:

Chances of them answering that question are very low. Few companies announce a price so far in advance. Nissan may start offering it as an option on other models - and if that case we will know the price.

The same way, they won't give us a battery replacement cost in 8 years.

cdub said:
lettcco said:

Cost is $28-42 per year in Japan.

http://www.telematicsupdate.com/articles/carwings.pdf

Back