Quite happy with the 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

I know some of these threads have spun out of control with theories and assumptions. Here are some of my thoughts that I've been wanting to put down on paper for a while.

1. The 2013 Leaf is more than a "mid-cycle" refresh. I mean, it is a mid-cycle refresh, but not in your typical automotive world fashion. There is real engineering here. I drive a 12 G37. The car was launched as on 07. The 07-08 were the same. For 09 they upped the engine size a tiny bit and added VVEL and went from a 5sp to 7sp auto. These aren't major feats. In 10' they tweaked the styling in and out...and thats it. 11, 12, 13...all the same. Take the Altima, they run that line (huge seller so no pressure) 5-6 years, and after three, they might up the hp a bit (ECU style tweak) and change the bumpers. With the leaf they've given us more price points/option levels, lightened the weight, upped the charging speed, increased efficiency and made connivence additions like an electric door for the charge port with light.

2. Not sure why all the hate towards the slight reduction in torque. Since the car has dropped LBS, even with the reduction in torque, the Japan spec graphic shows an actual IMPROVEMENT in zero-60.

3. Reduced motor whine. Nice touch.

4. More cargo space in the rear. Nice touch.

5. Faster charger. This is moot for home...but HUGE for public charging. 20-30 minutes at supermarket Level 2 charger will add some real miles.

6. There seems to be some discussion that the 13' wont be rated for more range. I can't see how. Since it's lighter, better overall regen braking, tweaked motor. I would imagine that will be released on Monday at Detroit.

7. B-Mode...cool, another nice touch.

8. Eco/B-Modes engaging on steering wheel, nice touch.

9. Nav/Carwings improvements, nice touch.

All this things add up to a significant step in the right direction. If all this can be accomplished in 24 dinky months, the future is looking good. On ANY message board there is always going to be the "I see no reason to upgrade my 11 or 12 mentality". And thats fine. You're right. Most folks aren't going to go out and trade their 306HP 08' G35 for a 328HP 09' G37 (I'm talking as if this is the year 2009). BUT for folks on the sideline, the changes to the 13' Leaf are SIGNIFICANT. Not that the 13' was meant to be a secret, but in the rapidly changing electric car market, buying a 12' now is like buying an iphone the week before the next one comes out..yearly. In the regular car market, change is happening more slowly, so there is less waiting.

Now...will Nissan let me trade in our Altima lease (18 months left) if I agree to lease a new 13' Leaf!?LOL.....I know, 18 months is too early.

Mike S.

You can get a quote from Nissan for early lease turn in after 12 payments (except in the People's Republik of Kalifornia).

I thought Google was the coolest new 2013 LEAF feature that "nobody" asked for.

I also agree that the 2013 had much more than a mid cycle refresh as well, but I also believe the real change for 2013 has not been revealed yet and that is the price.

I think the lower model S will be a huge hit with fleet managers who are trying to manage a budget but at the same time dont want to break the bank on purchase cost. State of WA has been big on alternative fuels and seems to own a million Priuses and that has been true for years.

I have a pix of the Dept of Ecology covered parking (which has 4 L2's for public and about a half dozen for employee use) from back in 2007 or 08 and from what I remember, I think I counted about 80 Priuses out of 120 state vehicles.

a lot of people wondered how Nissan would hit real volume? I think this is one way

the 2013 is tempting.
but i dont see a good reason to trade in the 2011, especially with give backs that are called for on the CA rebate and might be due the US Tax credit.

i am a non-leaser.

MikeS said:
5. Faster charger. This is moot for home...but HUGE for public charging.
I agree that this is huge for public charging. But it's also very relevant at home. Suppose you get home from work, or from a long drive, and want to go somewhere else for the evening. It is desirable to be able to add charge as quickly as possible.

Hopefully the price for the 6 kW charging option proves to be reasonable.

abasile said:
MikeS said:
I agree that this is huge for public charging. But it's also very relevant at home. Suppose you get home from work, or from a long drive, and want to go somewhere else for the evening. It is desirable to be able to add charge as quickly as possible.

you go somewhere after you get home from work? weird.

All of the new features are nice... but the REAL question has yet to be answered. The EPA range and the price. That will be the determining factor of the future of this product. If Nissan doesn't get it right, the Leaf will remain a niche product and vehicles like the C-Max will become the mainstream plug-in vehicle.

abasile said:
MikeS said:

The 6.0kW charger is standard on the SL.

MikeS said:
I know some of these threads have spun out of control with theories and assumptions. ...

Mike S.

Excuse the pun but I think the previous thread "spun" out of control with the discussion about the wheels. :)

I like the motor whine. :) Seriously, the lack of the whine was one of the things I didn't like about the Ford Focus Electric.

Add nicer interior options, new braking system, remote for charge door, new wheels and tires, same crappy NAV.

Yep, Nissan is barely catching up at this point. Our ICE has all of that plus much more. My favorite is the weather map overlays...

The biggest things I wanted to see on the 2013 are not there: A solution to the battery degradation/temperature issue and a new battery with a meaningful range increase...

To me, the 2013 is putting lipstick on a pig in many ways...

TonyWilliams said:
My Rav4 EV has Bing, Vehicle Finder, iHeart Radio, Pandora, OpenTable, Movie Tickets

adric22 said:
All of the new features are nice... but the REAL question has yet to be answered. The EPA range and the price. That will be the determining factor of the future of this product.
I was at the south SJ meet and Tim Gallagher of Nissan was there w/a '13 Leaf. He said the price is coming Monday.

As for EPA range, he basically said it'll be coming real soon so that they can print the Monroney stickers and all. He also gave a date of Feb 4th as to when it'll be available for sale. But later, I heard him just say early Feb.

EVDRIVER said:
Add nicer interior options, new braking system, remote for charge door, new wheels and tires, same crappy NAV.
Ah, but don't forget that with the S you can get rid of that stupid nav altogether. Yay!

[Well, OK, not everyone has my perspective. I've lived in the same area for 45 years. What good is a nav when I'm rarely more than 45 miles from home?]

Ray

ILETRIC said:
Range!
I was hoping they will finally cross that 100 mile barrier. Maybe 2014?

Can't do that and still have an MSRP of $30k (or $40k)--at least not yet. If Nissan wanted to sell a Tesla, they would have made a Tesla (and no one would have been complaining because no one would have been able to afford it)!

Well, OK, not everyone has my perspective. I've lived in the same area for 45 years. What good is a nav when I'm rarely more than 45 miles from home?

+1

Can't recall a single time I used it (other than looking at it admiring how amazing it is -- never having a Nav in a car before).

Won't need it until I can do some serious driving in that car.

Back