Range drop by 50% after 2 years?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francistaft

Interesting
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082483_japans-electric-taxis-falling-out-of-favor-with-drivers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That article doesn't leave us with much hard data to go on. So is impossible to really quantify the amount of battery degradation.

I do not find it surprising, however, that the LEAF batteries would not hold up well for those taxi drivers assuming heavy usage and frequent quick charging. Essentially, those battery packs would heat up considerably and probably not have adequate time to cool down. My impression is that the biggest caveat of quick charging is not the speed of charging per se, but the heat that is generated in the battery. This should not be a big deal in "typical" usage where the amount of time the battery spends at high temperatures is limited.

My sense is that an EV with a thermally managed battery pack would do just fine in taxi duty.

abasile said:
My sense is that an EV with a thermally managed battery pack would do just fine in taxi duty.
Off topic, but I just noticed that your Gid numbers exactly match mine. Our cars are about the same age, I believe, but mine has only 15,000 miles on it. Looks like calendar aging is the main culprit for capacity loss at this stage of our Leafs lives.

Temperature is more of a factor in mine, I believe...

Stoaty said:
Off topic, but I just noticed that your Gid numbers exactly match mine. Our cars are about the same age, I believe, but mine has only 15,000 miles on it. Looks like calendar aging is the main culprit for capacity loss at this stage of our Leafs lives.

Stoaty said:
abasile said:
Your LEAF is only a couple of months younger than mine, with half the miles and most likely a higher average pack temperature. I suspect that, in my case, the cycling losses are significant, with potentially smaller calendar losses than yours. My LEAF's pack is undoubtedly cycled much harder than yours (deeper cycles, with lots of regen and higher discharge rates).

One thing I've noticed is that my gid count seems to drop more rapidly after LBW than in the past, though I'm not absolutely sure. It's possible that my actual range loss is a bit greater than 9%. That's really not too bad, given the battery chemistry and my usage.

Back