range gains from weight reduction?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the 12v system is topped up when on AC charge, then you can probably get away with a pretty small battery for extended garage parking.

BAD idea. The charging algorithm is not well designed and the accessory battery is already small. The safe way to reduce battery weight would be to use an expensive 20-25AH lithium battery in place of the OEM 20AH lead-acid battery. That might save you 10-12lbs.

LeftieBiker said:
If the 12v system is topped up when on AC charge, then you can probably get away with a pretty small battery for extended garage parking.

BAD idea. The charging algorithm is not well designed and the accessory battery is already small. The safe way to reduce battery weight would be to use an expensive 20-25AH lithium battery in place of the OEM 20AH lead-acid battery. That might save you 10-12lbs.

A good lightweight racing battery will probably be AGM and is more tolerant to charge than a flooded lead acid. The prius has similar 12v battery concerns and many have (including myself) put an optima AGM yellowtop in place of the factory battery.

Braille batteries at tire rack, 6-11.5 lbs $160-180. I have one for my mini, it's a high compression engine with an old style starter that needs more CCA than new style reduction gears, I think it's the 9lbs one and it starts no problem. I used it in a Miata for a year and it started no problem every time.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/brand.jsp?brand=Braille

Generally you can save 100-200ish lbs of interior bits when people talk about stripping a car for the track. Part of that is always the spare tire and jack so the leaf will be less. A lot of that is comfort stuff you'd never want to give up (like rolling all four windows down). Sound deadening for example I bet the leaf has extra because it's a quiet BEV.

You're better to tackle aero and rolling resistance. Try a grill block, lowering springs/coilovers (I'd recommend Megen coilovers over the tein springs I have) and pump up those tires.

GroundLoop said:
I understand there is a scissor-jack but no spare wheel? Leave that thing home. It's a AAA towing event, or a hail-mary can of Fix-a-Flat.
The car does not come with a jack or wrench.
You can order one.

Don't ever use the "repair kit" can of leak sealant unless it is a life threatening situation.
It destroys the tire pressure monitor sensor.
If the leak is bad enough that it will not hold pressure just using the 12 volt air compressor better to have someone bring you a spare and Jack or have it towed.

If you want the Nissan designed spare tire rack they will not sell it to you in the US.
Only way to get it is order from Australian dealer and pay for them to ship it to you.
Pricey. With shipping probably $500.
And it might not fit.

But the LEAF isn't the only one abandoning spare tire.
A significant % of all new vehicles are doing it to get that small efficiency improvement.

Weight reduction will have a minor affect on range. Unless you drive less than 30MPH and do virtually all of your driving in stop and go conditions. Since an EV drivetrain is so much more efficient than an ICE, the losses of accelerating the mass of the car is MUCH less. In other words, weight is much more important to an ICE, than it is for an EV.

At 30MPG the aerodynamic drag becomes the majority of the load on the drivetrain. And at 55MPH, aero drag is over 75%. Aero drag is a TOTAL LOSS.

The moving mass of the car can be (partially) used - by coasting most importantly. This is the whole point of driving, so once you have the car moving, the kinetic energy can be used to keep it moving. And when you need to slow down, we can use regen, to regain some of the energy invested in the moving car; with the additional losses of the motor to battery chain.

Don't ever use the inflator unless it is a life threatening situation.

It gets confusing with a PIP and Leaf in the family, but I'm 90% sure that the Leaf is the one with the built-in inflator that will also work *without* the expensive, TPS-ruining goop canister. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering it wrong.

LeftieBiker said:
Don't ever use the inflator unless it is a life threatening situation.

It gets confusing with a PIP and Leaf in the family, but I'm 90% sure that the Leaf is the one with the built-in inflator that will also work *without* the expensive, TPS-ruining goop canister. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering it wrong.

It has been mentioned on MNL before that the pump can be used without the goop, and getting a tire plug kit for less than $10 can get you back on the road without having to ruin the TPS.

LeftieBiker said:
I corrected my post.
The LEAF has a very good small 12 volt air compressor.
OK to use that.
Just don't use the "repair kit" can of goop unless it is a life threatening situation.

TimLee said:
OK to use that.
Just don't use the "repair kit" can of goop unless it is a life threatening situation.

Good to know - thanks for posting.

NeilBlanchard said:
TimLee said:
OK to use that.

Good to know - thanks for posting.

When I had a flat I left the screw in the tire. I pumped up the tire to 50PSI. I had to stop once to pump it up again. This was for a 5 mile trip. The stock pump worked fine. Interesting, when the low tire warning goes on it turns on the emergency flashers!

Back