Range Issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
I don't see why some are calling me pessimistic.
Not me. I'm calling you ignorant.

OP reaches 6 temp bars by the end of the day in the summer. That is not a recipe for heat related accelerated battery degradation.

powersurge said:
I don't see why some are calling me pessimistic. The original poster lives in a hot climate, and I am sure he uses A/C daily. He does a round trip rising 3000 ft. of elevation, and pulls into his driveway with lights flashing and no range left (Daily). Then there is something wrong with that picture.

So you are saying that it is perfectly fine to be in a hot climate, push the battery to climb mountains (heat), and get home in "turtle" mode every day?? How long before he uses "a little more" energy, or A/C/ that day, and is stranded going home... More significantly, what will he do when the battery even only "starts" to deteriorate in capacity?? He will be stuck.

I think the best that he could hope for is that he finds a place to charge midway on the trip, however, he will still be forced to sit around waiting for a charge for 1+ hours every day just to get home.. I have traveled long distances with my Leaf and know the routine...

PS - I think that too many members here on the forum seem to perpetuate a fantasy by telling new posters (no matter what situation they present) that all is well... Sometimes, our wishes (or needs) cannot he handled by the technology or tool we "want" to use. You can't tell someone that it is fine to use a 1 pound hammer to do a job that a 10 pound hammer can do..

Pessimistic (adj): tending to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen.

You are assuming that his car will completely fail him in a short amount of time. Yes, all batteries degrade, but his climate is not actually all that hot, driving up his mountain does not heat the battery as much as you imply, and A/C usage has a pretty much negligible effect on the Leaf's range.

Regarding the bolded parts, they are simply untrue. Look at the picture he posted a few responses up. He has two charge bars left, and 12 miles on the GOM. That 12 miles assumes he will continue to climb up a steep mountain, which clearly he will not. In fact, I would wager he has enough charge left to get back down the mountain to work the next day without charging (not that I'd recommend trying!)

GerryAZ said:
I don't see why powersurge and Scaramanga are so pessimistic. The 2015 "lizard" battery should last a long time at 6 temperature bars in Hawaii. My 2015 still has 11 capacity bars after 28 months and 42,700 miles in Phoenix.

I thought I was being optimistic!
:)

I would charge to about %60 at night, with the cost of power in HI. this will make the drive to work easier and save some money. easier to charge at work! I think you can set the low fuel warning to set it a bit lower not to go off every day. The car will be good for years, enjoy your new car.

speedski97 said:
I would charge to about %60 at night, with the cost of power in HI. this will make the drive to work easier and save some money. easier to charge at work! I think you can set the low fuel warning to set it a bit lower not to go off every day. The car will be good for years, enjoy your new car.

+1 It is too bad that Nissan does not give the option of setting charging to stop at particular SOC in 10% increments because that would be ideal for someone like you who lives at the top of a mountain. Since you have an SL, you can set start and end times on the charge timers so you should be able to get close to 60% or 70% at home by limiting charge time to 3 hours (240 volts, 30 amperes). I would shoot for 80% to start and work your way down depending upon how much charge you have left when you get to work. Also, make sure you use B mode going down the mountain to save wear on your brakes.

IMG_1909_zps5mjj6i17.jpg

This was after the drive today on the slightly less graded road.

I am to get my hands on a evse from a 2012 leaf. Will that hold me over while I send mine into @Ingineer for retrofitting? Asking for a friend :mrgreen:

Out of curiosity, I checked out your route on the EV trip planner:

https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner

Using default settings, other than bumping external temp to 85F, this is the output:

Distance: 51.7 miles
Driving Time: 1:10
Charging Time: 0:00
Total Trip Time: 1:10
Total Energy Used: 15.2 kWh
Average Efficiency: 294 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change: 2667 feet

Pretty close to what you are getting.

Here's what it predicts for 50F, all other settings default:

Total Energy Used: 16.1 kWh

So, about an extra 1 kWh

I think you are sweating this too much. The GOM reading is pessimistic due to the last steep hill, it sounds like you've got approx 20% SOC by the end of your commute. Even in bad weather (for Hawaii), you should still be able to make it.

Also, noticed that you have a DCQC charger in Waimea - hopefully you've got a CHADEMO port to take full advantage.

Perhaps in a pinch you could trickle charge at LAI NANI RESORT on your commute. At a 1.4 kW charging rate though, it would take awhile to add any significant charge to the pack...

alozzy said:
Perhaps in a pinch you could trickle charge at LAI NANI RESORT on your commute. At a 1.4 kW charging rate though, it would take awhile to add any significant charge to the pack...
My sister law owns a business on my commute so I plan on putting in a 220v plug at some point so I can stop and plug in if I need to

HaoleBilt said:
alozzy said:
My sister law owns a business on my commute so I plan on putting in a 220v plug at some point so I can stop and plug in if I need to

Great plan. It'll work out and I agree with what the group is saying about your GOM reading, it's probably not as bad as you may think.

HaoleBilt said:
I am to get my hands on a evse from a 2012 leaf. Will that hold me over while I send mine into @Ingineer for retrofitting? Asking for a friend :mrgreen:

Send the 2012 unit in for upgrade. They can be upgraded to higher current than the new ones. Also, the new ones have a temperature sensor in the plug which helps to protect from overheating when charging from a defective 120-volt outlet. The temperature sensor is eliminated when a newer unit is upgraded.

Edited: My comments were assuming you purchased the 2012 EVSE. If you are just borrowing it, the it will charge at the same rate as your unmodified unit. Modifying your unit is still a good way to have both 120- and 208/240-volt portable charging.

IMG_1923_zpss3nkzjfa.jpg

After today's drive home. Getting the hang of this EV world. Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I've always been a tuned/modded car guy who drove hard and autcrossed. This is my first foray into this world. I did almost buy a Prius a couple years back but opted for my Corolla S.
Even my truck is tuned/modded with a CAI intake, supercharger and full exhaust to go with a leveling kit & old school wheels and oversized tires. :mrgreen:
image_zpsdkhbbo9s.jpeg

The EVSE is borrowed from a buddy so I can send mine in. I did almost score a free first gen one but before I could claim it one of my techs called dibs... :shock:

Even my truck is tuned/modded with a CAI intake, supercharger and full exhaust to go with a leveling kit & old school wheels and oversized tires:

Wow supercharged! Cool truck, I'd like we see engine pics of that. Is the boost pressure fixed or does it come on at a certain rpm with a waste gate like a turbo would?

Scaramanga said:
Even my truck is tuned/modded with a CAI intake, supercharger and full exhaust to go with a leveling kit & old school wheels and oversized tires:

Wow supercharged! Cool truck, I'd like we see engine pics of that. Is the boost pressure fixed or does it come on at a certain rpm with a waste gate like a turbo would?
null_zps1aa4484d.jpg

6psi with stock pulley...304 hp 334 lb-ft before Intake and exhaust.
Fixed boost pressure kicks in at about 2500 rpm.... :mrgreen:

Back