Re-plugging some one else's Leaf to L2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if at a two nozzle gas station and someone goes inside to use the restroom..... do you take the nozzle that has clicked off out and put it into yours because an electric vehicle blocked the other pump? Of course you would put in your own credit card but still most people will wait patiently for the space to become free.

smkettner said:
So if at a two nozzle gas station and someone goes inside to use the restroom..... do you take the nozzle that has clicked off out and put it into yours because an electric vehicle blocked the other pump? Of course you would put in your own credit card but still most people will wait patiently for the space to become free.
Of course, if it were the only pump for miles, and the other driver was likely to be in the can for hours, there would be a little more temptation. :lol:

Trying to keep it all straight:

The original problem was caused by an ICEd EV station - I say call for a tow and take the fight to the source of the problem.

Then measure carefully your immediate needs over the needs of someone who was there first. Proceed with caution. I would probably not have unplugged him for fear his timer was set. But to each his own. Glad it worked out.

Nissan needs to take a lesson from the iPhone and use a GPS Geo Fence option to trigger timers only when LEAFs arrive home. A bit of code like that would have prevented this problem as well.

Honestly, I think until there is more charging infrastructure, it's only polite to put a contact information card on the dashboard when charging. I always do so at public chargers!

How about posting on this or some EV owner web site a cross reference of license plate number to cell phone number for these kind of situations? That way we don't need to leave our phone number on the dash for passers-by to see or abuse.

gmuzhik said:
How about posting on this or some EV owner web site a cross reference of license plate number to cell phone number for these kind of situations? That way we don't need to leave our phone number on the dash for passers-by to see or abuse.
Somehow, posting my number online doesn't seem like an improvement to me...

Yes, I agree that on line is not secure. Perhaps posting an email which anyone who has a smart phone would be able to get. OR perhaps The old fashioned hard copy directory mailed only to EV owners. We definitely need a way to contact each other in the field for situations like this.

Just brainstorming here. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have been thinking that a "please plug me in" card might be useful in situations where a car is already charging and you can park next to it. Leave the card on the first car asking the owner to plug you in when he/she returns. Yes, there's no guarantee that the first owner will return before you do but at least there's a chance.

And yes, what the OP tried to do was logical and reasonable - the timer issue was an unexpected snag.

TangoKilo said:
If you have set your timer on a public charger then you are an inconsiderate hog. If you have a Volt and you are plugged in for an hour or more and my LEAF is empty, then I'll unplug your car and put a note under your windshield wiper. It's very unfortunate that we have to deal with this all due to a woefully inadequate charging infrastructure... :ugeek:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1065314_gm-riles-ca-electric-car-world-again-over-ab475-charger-sharing-ban/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, but it gets MUCH worse. Legislation was just passed recently in CA (don't forget, some states merely follow CA law automatically - for example with CARB rules) regarding "charge stations". It used to be that charge stations were the exclusive privilege of EV's. Most EV'rs would employ a typical courtesy placard that notified folks needing a charge after you plugged in, if and/or when you could unplug another, and plug your self in. Now? With the plugin Volt, and the plugin Prius, rules are different. Legislation was pushed through (By GM of course) that if you DARE unplug any vehicle (even if it's charge lights show it's all done charging ... even if a charge protocol placard on the vehicle says 'go ahead and unplug if needed) you are committing a misdemeanor. It was GM's lackey legislator Betsy Butler that pushed this legislation through ... with no better response other than, "that's what GM wanted". But GM is government owned - so what do you expect?). So ... if you got the parking sticker for LAX, you might as well throw them out because they are now worthless. If a Volt has charged at LAX ... and it's full ... and has been fully charged for even a WEEK ... not only are you legally FORBIDDEN permitted to unplug it - you are legally considered a vandal if you were to DARE unplug the Volt ... even if you are bone dry crawling forward on turtle mode. Unplug any other fully charged car and you are screwed. Unplug the Volt and the Volt's alarm will go off. You will be charged with a misdemeanor (as though you had smashed out its windshield or slashed its tires, or both) and you will be fined accordingly.
Thank you
GM.
Now ... what has changed, since GM crushed EV1's, in preference to hummer production?

I am not sure why the timer override was unexpected.

I have my timer set to charge at night to use off peak power. Any opportunity charging I use the timer override. I am not going to reset the timer every random time I pull up to a public charger.

smkettner said:
I am not sure why the timer override was unexpected.

I have my timer set to charge at night to use off peak power. Any opportunity charging I use the timer override. I am not going to reset the timer every random time I pull up to a public charger.
If someone unplugs your car for a couple hours (to plug THEIR car if for an hour or two because they're bone dry), and then plugs you back in, it will be fruitless. Your timer (after disconnection) will we worthless. You have effectively caused an 'incident' worthy of being labeled a misdemeanor ... especially in CA, and states following CA law.

smkettner said:
OK, your choice, but I will. Even apart from a manual disconnect, what if there is a momentary power failure or a hiccup in the EVSE? Actually "reset the timer" makes it sound worse than it is. To turn it off:

Zero Emission Button -> Charging Timer -> Timer 1 -> Yes
[or Timer 2 if that's the one that's active]

To turn it back on, use exactly the same sequence, though the prompt looks a little different. All of your settings will have been preserved.

Ray

hill said:
Legislation was pushed through (By GM of course) that if you DARE unplug any vehicle (even if it's charge lights show it's all done charging ... even if a charge protocol placard on the vehicle says 'go ahead and unplug if needed) you are committing a misdemeanor.
I don't think it says that; I've only heard that from GM apologists trying to explain the law. In any case, even if AB475 does make unplugging someone a crime, the penalty stipulated in the law is applied to the victim of the crime, not to the perpetrator. It is the car that gets unplugged which can be ticketed and towed. AB475 outlaws sharing what you have; taking what you want without permission is just fine. There's a long thread on the subject: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5288

Fortunately, AB475 only applies if the "right" signs are posted. We can hope that very few charging sites will post AB475 signs before the next legislative session has a chance to repeal it and re-write it correctly - like the last draft Plugin America saw before GM slipped in their last minute changes.

I think the reason GM did this, rather than simply making Volt eligible for EV parking stickers, was to sabotage the public charging infrastructure in an attempt to make Volt more desirable versus Leaf. Ironically I think the greater effect of GM's bill will be to make the Prius PHV more desirable versus Volt. After all, a Volt without a plug is just a 27 MPG Chevy Cruze with a $20,000 pair of fuzzy dice, whereas a Prius PHV without a plug is still the world's most efficient hybrid.

The protocol card I use does give someone else permission to unplug after a certain time, however it goes on to say

'Please reconnect the charger if you return before I do'

So someone who is aware of the need to share, should already have re-programmed or disabled timers to allow for a re-connection. I still maintain that the OP is only partly at fault, some of the responsibility rests with the first LEAF to plug up to anticipate sharing may be required and both communicate and setup his/her vehicle appropriately.

The whole thing can be avoided if people use the protocol cards. I'm surprised by how many LEAF owners don't have one. I keep extras and put one on every LEAF I run across. COSTCO will print them cheaply. You do have to convert it to a JPG though. http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf

In my view the OP was absolutely correct to move the cords. The protocol cards would have made it a non-event. No man is an island.

I would be more inclined to double park behind the ICE if the cable length permits charging.
And if a vehicle code enforcement sign was posted I would call to have it enforced.

Back