Real World EV Range Listings

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I think a 2-3kWh reserve is a good idea, as it both creates some low end battery protection, and chances of getting stuck For those who live on the edge. More then that, and you undercut the range of the car to much.

The ONLY thing I need is an effective way to monitor ALL my range and lucky me; that is exactly what I have. Not saying it works for everyone since several thousand people a day still run out of gas but...

FYI; I don't live on the edge but I have visited the glass platform that extends beyond the edge several times :lol:

The psychology of a reserve is complicated and diverse. I'm a numbers kind of guy so I don't care one way or another, so long as I know how large any reserve is. My wife is most solidly in the NOT-numbers camp and had no idea that the Tesla has a reserve until I told her about it the other week during travel in rural Colorado when a strong headwind looked to thwart our trip planning and leave us short of our destination. As a plan 'D' to get to a charging location she was very appreciative of the reserve since it allayed her anxiety about getting stranded. For those curious, it worked out this way for us:

Plan 'A' -- drive to destination at usual speeds -- aborted, bailed to plan 'B'
Plan 'B' -- drive to destination at reduced speeds -- aborted, bailed to plan 'C'
Plan 'C' -- Find convenient L2 charging and add a couple more hours of kWh
Plan 'D' -- Stop for the night at the nearest plug

Plan 'C' worked well. This is the second time in 2.5 years of Tesla driving I have invoked a plan 'C' backup. Each time added 1.5 -- 2.0 hours of unplanned for extra charging and travel time. I've yet to experience range anxiety, and I have not dropped below "5% SoC" (not including reserve) to any destination. The experiences are from driving in rural NM/Colorado.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I think a 2-3kWh reserve is a good idea, as it both creates some low end battery protection, and chances of getting stuck For those who live on the edge. More then that, and you undercut the range of the car to much.

The ONLY thing I need is an effective way to monitor ALL my range and lucky me; that is exactly what I have. Not saying it works for everyone since several thousand people a day still run out of gas but...

FYI; I don't live on the edge but I have visited the glass platform that extends beyond the edge several times :lol:

The psychology of a reserve is complicated and diverse. I'm a numbers kind of guy so I don't care one way or another, so long as I know how large any reserve is. My wife is most solidly in the NOT-numbers camp and had no idea that the Tesla has a reserve until I told her about it the other week during travel in rural Colorado when a strong headwind looked to thwart our trip planning and leave us short of our destination. As a plan 'D' to get to a charging location she was very appreciative of the reserve since it allayed her anxiety about getting stranded. For those curious, it worked out this way for us:

Plan 'A' -- drive to destination at usual speeds -- aborted, bailed to plan 'B'
Plan 'B' -- drive to destination at reduced speeds -- aborted, bailed to plan 'C'
Plan 'C' -- Find convenient L2 charging and add a couple more hours of kWh
Plan 'D' -- Stop for the night at the nearest plug

Plan 'C' worked well. This is the second time in 2.5 years of Tesla driving I have invoked a plan 'C' backup. Each time added 1.5 -- 2.0 hours of unplanned for extra charging and travel time. I've yet to experience range anxiety, and I have not dropped below "5% SoC" (not including reserve) to any destination. The experiences are from driving in rural NM/Colorado.

Yeah, not sure where I would be in your case. Your challenges are extreme. As for me? I realistically don't have any to speak of. For several hundred miles in any direction, I have many charging options. I don't even really plan that much any more. A few times I took off last Summer on a lark including a few trips leaving home with 20%... I made it.

Back