Rear bumper removed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEG said:
davewill said:
...I see no problem with not getting it fixed...
So, having just gone through this... It is a hassle even if the other guy has good insurance and admits fault.
I had to recount the story to 3 different insurance people, schedule with the repair shop, rental agency, etc.
Plus they had the delay getting the replacement part, so overall I probably spent 5 hours dealing with people, and a week stuck in a gas rental car. Definitely some hassle in getting it made right.
I guess the double negative threw you. I said I that not getting it fixed was OK with those two caveats.

HighDesertDriver said:
...it was 1973 during the oil embargo and we pushed the cars forward to save gas while waiting in line. :lol: ...

I also recall when emission controls started to become more intense and mandated (leading up to catalytic converters) some of the manufacturers had some problems getting their cars to comply and still perform. People watched as HP numbers on Corvettes dropped from year to year. It wasn't until electronic fuel injection came into its' own in the 80s that performance and new emissions controls started to play nice together.

Remember those NOx reduction add-on devices in California?
http://books.google.com/books?id=otQDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA144&dq=%22will+clean+air+cops+confiscate+your+car%22&hl=en&ei=Wh43TvXeI4HirAeo__0Z&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22will%20clean%20air%20cops%20confiscate%20your%20car%22&f=false
http://law.justia.com/cases/california/calapp3d/96/340.html

davewill said:
TEG said:
davewill said:
So, having just gone through this... It is a hassle even if the other guy has good insurance and admits fault.
I had to recount the story to 3 different insurance people, schedule with the repair shop, rental agency, etc.
Plus they had the delay getting the replacement part, so overall I probably spent 5 hours dealing with people, and a week stuck in a gas rental car. Definitely some hassle in getting it made right.
I guess the double negative threw you. I said I that not getting it fixed was OK with those two caveats.

No, I got it. Was just adding "fuel to the fire" of the suggestion that it might be OK to leave a scratch rather than going through the rigmarole of repair hassle.

TEG said:
davewill said:

exactly too much hassle.. and then what do I show them... there is literally no visible damage that most companies will look at me and wonder what am I really claiming for....

Also did you have to get the high voltage system unplugged or since it was the bumper that was not required?

csriram45 said:
Also did you have to get the high voltage system unplugged or since it was the bumper that was not required?

I wasn't there to see what they actually did when the repaired it, but I am fairly sure they didn't power anything down. It is in interesting question though - what level of repair would trigger a shop to disconnect the battery? Possibly most shops wouldn't even realize that they should do such a thing even if the repairs were substantial. I bet it will be a learning process in the future, hopefully without any high voltage incidents along the way.

By the way, I had seen videos of gas cars under repair catching on fire from welding and/or smoking near the vehicle when gas fumes were present. You have to be diligent of the energy stored in a vehicle when working in or near the energy storage system.

TEG said:
People watched as HP numbers on Corvettes dropped from year to year. It wasn't until electronic fuel injection came into its' own in the 80s that performance and new emissions controls started to play nice together.

My new 1989 Corvette (red, ZF 6 speed, L98) was a horsepower pig.

Two decades of horsepower were lost. The 1990 ZR1 Corvette was powerful, but virtually impossible to insure, and cost twice the money of a "normal" Corvette.

Has anyone been in a wreck so bad that it triggered the fail-safe system that shuts down the battery (rendering the car undrivable)?

Back