Rear-ended... need help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the comment is NOT racial, but accurately describes many irresponsible people.
One of these almost killed my wife a few years ago, and totaled her car.
Perhaps too few understand what "illegal" means?

QueenBee said:
garygid said:

One of what?

Perhaps somebody from a Mexico? But of course, to many Americans, identifying or saying "Mexican" or "people from Mexico" is just racism toward some monolithic "other race", different from us, or it wouldn't be racism I guess. Sad and ignorant. Which race does "Mexican" attack?

"...on average, Mestizo Mexicans (80% of the population of Mexico) are (genetically) 58.96% European, 35.05% Amerindian, and 05.03% African. Sonora shows the highest European contribution (70.63%) and Guerrero the lowest (51.98%) where we also observe the highest Amerindian contribution (37.17%). African contribution ranges from 2.8% in Sonora to 11.13% in Veracruz. 80% of the Mexican population was classed as mestizo (meaning being racially mixed in some degree)."

Now, if Gary is referring to a person from Mexico (or frequently likely from a country south of Mexico) who entered the USA illegally, as MILLIONS have, and is driving without a drivers license or insurance, as many of those illegal aliens do, let me guess? Gary is a racist.

Let me also guess that they're all "Latinos" (another pet peeve of mine), even when they are neither speak or racially have "Latin" origins.

TonyWilliams said:
QueenBee said:
garygid said:

One of what?

Perhaps somebody from a Mexico?

The race, English ability, home country, or immigration status doesn't add any value to this thread other than to add prejudice. Unless you want to move this to a constructive discussion about how to decrease the number of uninsured motorists I don't think it's appropriate to be throwing around stereotypes here.

I'll also reiterate thankyouOB and Stoaty.

thankyouOB said:
it is disturbing to see posters turn this site and, in particular, this post about car accidents into a home for racist slurs.
Stoaty said:
I think the characterization is accurate. Uninsured drivers come in all colors, ethnic backgrounds and immigration status. Beyond that, you are getting into the realm of prejudice:

noun: unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group

agree 100%.

This thread is about accidents and repairs, not about pet peeves or targeting one particular racial or ethnic group for causing accidents.

The problem in my case was an inexperienced driver who wasn't paying attention.
He had insurance, thankfully, (even though he is a brown person).

And as others have observed on another accident thread, in CA there are now pretty strong restrictions and regulations to enforce the insurance mandate. (HT to Phil, who most here agree is a saint, even though he lives in Berkeley and is prolly a dirty hippy.)

(CA DMV now gets electronic notification from the insurance company if your policy lapses, and will refuse to renew your registration, and in addition, will cancel it mid-year if the insurance company lets them know your policy is cancelled.
-Phil)

Boomer23 said:
So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope that everyone was okay. It is such a shock, as Ii well remember from the last time it happened to me.

I'd contact your dealer first, after your insurer, of course. The LEAF must have its batteries removed, as far as I know, if it is going to be placed in a high temperature paint booth. If it were just a bumper replacement, that wouldn't be an issue, but since you have actual body damage, you'll need to be careful about the batteries.

This issue of batteries being removed or drained (as the Volt recommends) after an accident... My question deals with "will the batteries be hurt" if they are drained and left empty for an extended period? Such as time to repair the vehicle or long time to wait to get enough money to repair the vehicle?

Worst case for the batteries would be if the accident happened right after a full charge. The Leaf batteries will hold their charge for months (while waiting for parts, etc), but it is best if the state of charge is less than 80% during storage.

Gerry

i am having my repair done by a shop associated with the Nissan dealership. They are removing the batteries and checking on any issues with Nissan.
I dont have a storage issue as batteries are at 5 bars at time of crash.
I will see what I can learn, however.

Got the HOV stickers replacements from DMV . Took about 10 days. I did follow the recommendations and asked the body shop to removed them from the bumper at the time I dropped of the car... good advice ...!

i sent in for my replacements friday, with the required repair order showing the bumper to be replaced.
i did not include the stickers. they offer that option if you can prove you lost your bumper.

i have heard here that someone got asked to send in the stickers, anyway. It was unclear if he/she included the shop order in the original mailing.

I'd like to see a citation for that... If true, how does one explain the large number of people in California - yes, a good percentage of them illegal, like it or not - that are driving around with current registration and stickers but no insurance? Regardless, the minimum requirement of 15/30/5 would not even replace the rear bumper on a Leaf in case of a collision from such an "insured..."

thankyouOB said:
CA DMV now gets electronic notification from the insurance company if your policy lapses, and will refuse to renew your registration, and in addition, will cancel it mid-year if the insurance company lets them know your policy is cancelled.

TomT said:
I'd like to see a citation for that... If true, how does one explain the large number of people in California - yes, a good percentage of them illegal, like it or not - that are driving around with current registration and stickers but no insurance? Regardless, the minimum requirement of 15/30/5 would not even replace the rear bumper on a Leaf in case of a collision from such an "insured..."

thankyouOB said:
CA DMV now gets electronic notification from the insurance company if your policy lapses, and will refuse to renew your registration, and in addition, will cancel it mid-year if the insurance company lets them know your policy is cancelled.

would not even replace the rear bumper on a Leaf

good joke, tomt.
now, i know u r just fooling around.

TomT said:

thankyouOB said:

i was quoting ingineer.
you want to challenge his credibility here?

-Phil

Sure, no one is always right about everything...

By the way, I do know for a fact that not all insurance companies yet provide electronic notification to California... I had a neighborhood watch meeting last night and asked our local CHP watch commander who was in attendance. Because of this, they still require paper proof of insurance if you are stopped and they can not verify it in their computer. He was, however, unsure about the registration cancellation proviso, stating that as of a year ago that was not true but it may have changed since then. He said he would check and get back to me. He did say that their computer currently can not confirm if insurance is still in affect after the registration anniversary date, regardless. He even took me out to his cruiser so we could run the plate on my car and I could see exactly what they can see when they run you and your vehicle... His cruiser also had the automatic license plate scan system which he demonstrated for the group and it is pretty cool. Ironically, one in the group came back as having a number of outstanding parking tickets! He was cool though and did not cite them, though he told them to take care of them asap or next time he would have to have it towed...
thankyouOB said:
TomT said:
thankyouOB said:
i was quoting ingineer. you want to challenge his credibility here?

Latest on my rear-ending.
They have decided NOT to remove the battery for painting, but will disconnect some electricals and otherwise prepare the car. the cost difference is $250 versus $2000.

Apparently, Nissan says battery should some out if painting oven will be at 140 or 130 degrees. Insurance company wont go for that.

High-end collision shop says they can do my car last in the day, bake for an hour at 100 degrees and leave it to cure overnight.

I wonder what fbarbat experience is?
also any thoughts on whether I should make a stink about this based on:
-- paint wont do as well if not baked at high heat
-- battery could suffer from 100 degrees for a couple of hours.

thanks.

My guys told me from the beginning that they will bake at lower temperature. They knew already that ... because as soon as I mentioned that I'm concerned about the painting he told be right away about lower temperature ... They didn't remove the batteries from any of the previous cars they had in for repair.

fbarbat said:
My guys told me from the beginning that they will bake at lower temperature. They knew already that ... because as soon as I mentioned that I'm concerned about the painting he told be right away about lower temperature ... They didn't remove the batteries from any of the previous cars they had in for repair.
Sounds like the BKM will be to ask them to discharge the battery to 50% if my LEAF gets in any accident especially before they do any paint. I wouldn't want my battery sitting around at 11bars for a week and then baking at 100deg.

Does Nissan have the same 'discharge the battery post accident' recommendation as the Volt?

I have to correct my previous statement as I just called the bodyshop and they told me that they had to have the battery removed at the dealer and they will finish the repair first and then have the battery placed back on the car. But the reason for that was the trunk bed which was bent and it is too close to the battery to safely work on it...

well, in some ways -- once again -- we are the beta testers and, regardless, we'll never really know if leaving the battery in and "baking" at lower temperature mattered.

Back