Recommended Maintenance on LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used mine for my 7500 mile tire rotation/ check. Battery didn't need to be rotated, it's on scheule 3.

At sign in, the service writer, looking at his screen, says, " I see you bought your car here six months ago, but you've never had your oil changed?"

Me: "Nope, never gonna change it either."

Service guy, and everybody else in earshot, look at me like I'm crazy, while I'm chuckling at him.

He looks back at the screen, sees its a Leaf, and says, " Oh!"

Love it.

Well now I am feeling kinda duped. Just signed a 36 month lease on a 2013 Leaf and dealer pushed a prepaid maintenance plan saying the car will automatically notify me every six months that a battery check is required and that process takes about an hour and they charge $120 labor per hour, plus the tire rotation and general inspection, and cabin filter replacement, all of which must be done at a Nissan dealer, therefore, the $460 charge is a good bargain vs. $120 x 5 or 6 times over the course of three years, saves ~35%. Anyone hear a similar tale or have their Leaf demand an inspection every six month?

13Leafster said:
Well now I am feeling kinda duped. Just signed a 36 month lease on a 2013 Leaf and dealer pushed a prepaid maintenance plan saying the car will automatically notify me every six months that a battery check is required and that process takes about an hour and they charge $120 labor per hour, plus the tire rotation and general inspection, and cabin filter replacement, all of which must be done at a Nissan dealer, therefore, the $460 charge is a good bargain vs. $120 x 5 or 6 times over the course of three years, saves ~35%. Anyone hear a similar tale or have their Leaf demand an inspection every six month?
There must be a dozen or more posts on MNL regarding routine maintenance. Yes.....you got ripped big time. Other than recommended tire rotation @ 7500 miles, there is absolutely NO routine maintenance required on the Nissan Leaf for the first couple years. Anybody who purchases a "prepaid maintenance plan" is a sure candidate to buy :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: a bridge in the New York area.

Scheduled Maintenance from the Service Guide:
7500 Rotate tires
15000 Rotate tires/replace cabin air filter/inspection
22500 Rotate tires
30000 Rotate tires/replace cabin filter/replace brake fluid/inspection
37500 Rotate tires
36000 Rotate tires/replace cabin air filter/inspection
Estimate $20-30 per tire rotation, $150-200 for brake fluid, and $50-70 for cabin filter & replacement at the dealership. Inspections should be free according to Nissan (For the ultimate in preventative maintenance, ask your Service Advisor for a complimentary Multi-Point Inspection (MPI) every time you visit your participating Nissan LEAF certified dealer) and I have no information whatsoever on a fee for checking the status of the main battery, as claimed. So scheduled maintenance at the dealership for the above would reasonably cost $420-590. Of course, service outside the dealership or do-it-yourself would cost less.

13Leafster said:
Well now I am feeling kinda duped. Just signed a 36 month lease on a 2013 Leaf and dealer pushed a prepaid maintenance plan saying the car will automatically notify me every six months that a battery check is required and that process takes about an hour and they charge $120 labor per hour,
The car will notify you at a fixed increment in miles (not months) only if the dealer programmed it to do that as a part of their duping. The Owners Manual tells you how to set that up if you want it, or remove it if you don't. It's in Chapter 2, under the Maintenance section of the TRIP COMPUTER. The battery check is required, but once a year, regardless of mileage. The first two checks are free, so as derkraut said, you shouldn't have to pay anything for it until you've had the car for three years. Unless, of course, you fall for their 6-month nonsense. Then you will probably have to pay for your two-year check.

13Leafster said:
plus the tire rotation and general inspection, and cabin filter replacement, all of which must be done at a Nissan dealer,
Blatant lie. It's a car, and that stuff is like any other car. Anybody, including you yourself, can do those things.

My advice, if you really want a dealer to take care of your car, is to find a different dealer. That one is out to rip you off every way they can.

Ray

Since you will be changing dealers, I suggest you also file a complaint with your state's BBB, and if that doesn't work, Attorney General. Allege that you were deceived about what maintenance is required and at what intervals. If the dealer offers to refund the difference between what you paid and what service you will actually have to have done, with the contract modified to reflect that, consider accepting it.

Note that the annual battery test should be scheduled after the end of the year.
My dealer scheduled it a day or two early the first time and had to eat the cost as Nissan wouldn't pay for it. They didn't make that mistake the second year.
The frequency for change of the cabin air filter varies among different people, depending on climate, dust conditions, pollen, etc.
Mine did need to be changed at the 1 year mark, but your experience may vary.
There are several other threads on MNL that give details on the filter part # and how to change it if you want to save $ by doing it yourself.

13Leafster said:
Which dealer is this? Dealers like that should not receive our business, so if yo don't mind sharing :)

I'd complain via Twitter/Facebook if you can't get your money back via regular channels.

Back