recovering from red emergency stop button on CHAdeMO DC FCs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

Is there a wiki or thread discussing this already?

I wanted to compile a list of directions on how to recover from the big red emergency stop button being pushed on DC FCs.

My only personal experience has been with http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I accidentally pushed the big red button myself. :oops: :shock: I first thought I hosed myself. The Walgreens store the non-networked (not on Chargepoint) DC FC was outside was closed. And, I didn't know who to call for help. I think it just said to contact an administrator. Who?

After some experimentation, digging around on Plugshare and trying various methods, I found that if I turned the big red button (clockwise?), coupled w/power cycling the big breaker behind the DC FC, I was good to go again, after the reboot. The big red button had some faint arrows on it, IIRC, indicating direction you're supposed to turn it.

I've noticed some complaints about someone having pressed emergency stop on Plugshare, making the DC FC "offline", including the very Walgreens unit above.

If I return there, I might affix a sign or label advising of the hint.

How about other brands and models of CHAdeMO DC FCs? Please list directions here, esp. if it's possible w/o calling anyone.

I agree. I hear some have a key that needs to be used to unlock the emergency stop. I had good luck flipping the safety disconnect on an AV DCQC that was locked up.

I heard that pressing the stop button for at least a few seconds can also trigger a reboot, but don't know if that will get it to recover from the emergency stop button.

drees said:
I heard that pressing the stop button for at least a few seconds can also trigger a reboot, but don't know if that will get it to recover from the emergency stop button.
Yeah, I remember seeing something like that.

I mucked around w/some of the hints on Plugshare when I thought I hosed myself.

Here are some of the hints for the specific http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I was at that haven't been purged/aged off:
IslandHonu 11 days ago
Error message was on the display, but all you have to do is press and hold the STOP button to reset. Good to go!
Joel 22 days ago
To avoid error message, plug in CHAdeMO first and then hit start. If you get an error message, hold STOP until it resets and then try again!
I think the next time I'm there and able to charge, I will experiment to confirm my directions. Last time I dropped by, someone was using it (and wasn't anywhere near taper).

Last Fall, Blink changed out all of their emergency stop buttons so that they could be manually reset by twisting the button clockwise and allowing it to pop back out. When resetting the emergency stop switch, the Blink will then reboot and perform some self-checks to make sure everything is okay, taking a couple of minutes.

Some emergency stop switches have a piece of plexiglass in front of them, these cannot be reset without internal access to the machine since the plexi will keep you from grabbing the switch and twisting it.

cwerdna said:
My only personal experience has been with http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I accidentally pushed the big red button myself. :oops: :shock: I first thought I hosed myself. The Walgreens store the non-networked (not on Chargepoint) DC FC was outside was closed. And, I didn't know who to call for help. I think it just said to contact an administrator. Who?

After some experimentation, digging around on Plugshare and trying various methods, I found that if I turned the big red button (clockwise?), coupled w/power cycling the big breaker behind the DC FC, I was good to go again, after the reboot. The big red button had some faint arrows on it, IIRC, indicating direction you're supposed to turn it.
After charging there, I experimented. Turning the red emergency stop button wasn't enough to get it out of the contact the administrator state. I also had to power cycle the big breaker switch behind it. It seemed good to go after it booted up.

I forgot to bring a sign. :(

DarkStar said:
Last Fall, Blink changed out all of their emergency stop buttons so that they could be manually reset by twisting the button clockwise and allowing it to pop back out. When resetting the emergency stop switch, the Blink will then reboot and perform some self-checks to make sure everything is okay, taking a couple of minutes.

Some emergency stop switches have a piece of plexiglass in front of them, these cannot be reset without internal access to the machine since the plexi will keep you from grabbing the switch and twisting it.

Likely because their crap design locks the cable to a LEAF even when power is cut so you can be stuck unless they come out or you cut the cable off. The default on their solenoid is to lock on even with the breaker cut.

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:

After charging there, I experimented. Turning the red emergency stop button wasn't enough to get it out of the contact the administrator state. I also had to power cycle the big breaker switch behind it. It seemed good to go after it booted up.

I forgot to bring a sign. :(

Since Walgreens is a major client of ours, I say with certainty that they cannot help you in any way or anything concerning the charging stations installed at their location.

Thanks for posting this. I found the Stanford QC stuck like this and the note about rotating the button help me reset it.

As Jeremy noted some time ago, someone decided to change "red means stop" to "green means stop", and well, that's supposedly OK because then they changed "go" so that "blue means go" :? Some people think they have to hit a red button to stop charging.

If you use the EvOasis unit at San Juan Capistrano, that one is made by Fuji. And is likely the source of some of this (it is, in fact, what I remembered). So, here's what Angus wrote about it originally:

Evoasis said:
Warning: If anyone gets a "red screen" fault message on the EVSE unit, make sure the car is turned off and hold the "green" (I know; it's counter-intuitive) Stop Charging button down for 3-4 seconds and it should reset the EVQC. This has only happened twice in 230+ charging sessions, but under no circumstances should you hit the Emergency Stop (Red) Button which requires breaking the glass cover to activate. Unless of course there is a fire in the vehicle...
Again, this advice applies to the Fuji Electric unit. And by the way, you stop the charge there by waving your card past the reader again.

Back