Red or White?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prberg said:
I am wondering the same thing. If I choose Red, will my car (and the battery) be alot hotter than if I chose Silver?

-Peter

It probably won't make a lot of difference where you are, but here it hits over 100 or higher often. Right now, the ave. is around 104, but we've been having much higher than normal for quite some time.

But Red and Black look the coolest (at least in the pics on the site)

We may still go with the Blue though... I'm in the same wife picks the color situation too. :)

Also in regards to colors being hotter - ideally we'll be plugging into the grid and "pre-cooling" right? :)

Actually I am in Los Angeles... and it's about 100 right now. I'd say we get about 2 or 3 months where the temps are in the 85-105 range. Rest of the year it's not as warm.. just sunny. I'm just wondering if the battery life will be shorter if I pick Red over Silver. I guess Nissan isn't too worried as they offer dark colors, but I'm curious what kind of longevity hit (if any) I would see. Or am I worried about nothing? I like blue.. but it's just a little too light for me. So it's Red or Silver.

-Peter

I think it is more important where you park than what color your car is. The batteries are underneath. Park on hot asphalt and you will cook them. Park on concrete painted white or on grass and they will be cooler.

Although in Arizona you'll still cook them! :twisted:

Dav said:
I think it is more important where you park than what color your car is. The batteries are underneath. Park on hot asphalt and you will cook them. Park on concrete painted white and they will be cooler.

Although in Arizona you'll still cook them! :twisted:

LOL, that's why I'm leasing. :D

Glad to hear that the exterior color shouldn't effect battery life. I have been searching for more pictures of Cayenne Red. I found some pictures of 2011 Rogues and the color almost looks like burgundy. Like this one:

http://dealerrevs.com/gallery/35297152.html#photo

Maybe the white balance is off on this image?

Anyone have any more real life clear images. Thanks.

To reduce cabin heating from the sun, the white is the best.

Will a cabin temperature of 155º instead of 135º affect the battery very much? The "Battery-Temp" display should give us some good data, but performance and lifetime impact will be much more difficult to measure.

The amount of solar heating while driving (mostly through the windows, but some through the "body/roof") will affect the A/C usage, and thus lower the range, or increase the need for "deeper" discharge/charge cycles.

All-day parking in the shade instead of the sun would probably be helpful to lower battery temperatures to near the "ambient" temperature.

Most of the heat, cold, hill, traffic, speed, wind, rain, etc. effects are "small" (a few percent each, perhaps up to 5%, 10%, or more in some cases), but a number of small effects can still add up to a substantial, noticable impact on the EV's "base" performance.

The colors are still listed as "unofficial". Wonder if they will be "official" before ordering starts, or if we really won't know the exact color of the car until it shows up in our driveway.

I thought we had to pick our color when we place our order. Which could be as soon as next week right? You heard the colors were not official? On the Nissan website they list the specific color names. You think they will still change them?

-Peter

Back