Replacing NissanConnectEV with OVMS in a Gen1 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Since this is essentially a wholesale swap of the telematics, would this be a solution for S owners who want some of this functionality or are other parts required to make it work?
I have not seen anything that leads me to believe it wouldn't work for all trim levels...so yes.
The only changes/restrictions are across model years.

Stanton said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Since this is essentially a wholesale swap of the telematics, would this be a solution for S owners who want some of this functionality or are other parts required to make it work?
I have not seen anything that leads me to believe it wouldn't work for all trim levels...so yes.

Well, if that is the case, I would be interested. Is there any subscription fees? I thought about doing the wifi only but wondering if that would interfere with my current wifi connection although it has yet to do anything? But appears the 4G option is not much of a cost increase, so?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Well, if that is the case, I would be interested. Is there any subscription fees? I thought about doing the wifi only but wondering if that would interfere with my current wifi connection although it has yet to do anything? But appears the 4G option is not much of a cost increase, so?
The only "subscription fees" involve air time (if you use the cellular option); for me that's <$10/month.
All you have to buy is the hardware (I spent ~$200)...and there's nothing that says you can't buy the 4G modem and not use it (that's where the SIM card comes in).
Basically, for about the price of Nissan's 2G->3G TCU upgrade (which is now obsolete), you can install a 4G OVMS solution that provides almost as much data as LeafSpy (with access from anywhere).

Stanton said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:

The only "subscription fees" involve air time (if you use the cellular option); for me that's <$10/month.
All you have to buy is the hardware (I spent ~$200)...and there's nothing that says you can't buy the 4G modem and not use it (that's where the SIM card comes in).
Basically, for about the price of Nissan's 2G->3G TCU upgrade (which is now obsolete), you can install a 4G OVMS solution that provides almost as much data as LeafSpy (with access from anywhere).

Who do you pay the subscription fees to or is it simply another "line" added to your personal cell account? From what I can tell, this is a feature upgrade from the Nissan app which makes it compelling.

EDIT

Ok, looks like Gen 2 support is still in the works so guess I am shelving this for now.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Who do you pay the subscription fees to or is it simply another "line" added to your personal cell account? From what I can tell, this is a feature upgrade from the Nissan app which makes it compelling.
Same idea as a cellphone/data plan (albeit to a provider you may never have heard of before--like Hologram).

Remote pre-heating is a nice perk, but the ability to stop charging at 80% SoC (or other SoCs, I think) is a killer feature for the LEAFs that do not have it out of the box and are supported by OVMS.

SageBrush said:
Remote pre-heating is a nice perk, but the ability to stop charging at 80% SoC (or other SoCs, I think) is a killer feature for the LEAFs that do not have it out of the box and are supported by OVMS.

EXACTLY the reason I am interested.

SageBrush said:
Just to confirm the start/stop charge control is initiated from the app; details can be found on the Leaf support page in the "additional features" section (https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html).

Not to sound stupid or anything, but before I go ripping the TCU out what exactly does it control? I can't use what ever carwings is (I don't think I even have that) or the EV Connect, or anything with EV connect. So the TCU seems rather useless to me, but I don't want to loose my satnav or the ability to let the car precondition its self before heading out for the day.

Jim74656 said:
Not to sound stupid or anything, but before I go ripping the TCU out what exactly does it control? I can't use what ever carwings is (I don't think I even have that) or the EV Connect, or anything with EV connect. So the TCU seems rather useless to me, but I don't want to loose my satnav or the ability to let the car precondition its self before heading out for the day.
Without 3G coverage, the TCU won't do you any good. However, whether you remove it is up to you; it doesn't have anything to do with the Nav or Timers (charging/climate control), but leaving it connected may affect some OVMS functionality. Additional details can be found here https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html

Stanton said:
Jim74656 said:
Without 3G coverage, the TCU won't do you any good. However, whether you remove it is up to you; it doesn't have anything to do with the Nav or Timers (charging/climate control), but leaving it connected may affect some OVMS functionality. Additional details can be found here https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html

Thanks for the information, I was reading through that document earlier today, which is what triggered my question that you just answered for me, but I do appreciate the assistance with getting an answer as I have a better understanding, and can now make a better more informed decision as to if I wish to leave the module connected or disconnected.

So just to make sure I’m understanding you correctly the only thing it does is provide communication, is this correct?

Jim74656 said:
So just to make sure I’m understanding you correctly the only thing it [TCU] does is provide communication, is this correct?
Basically: that's why it is called the Telecommunications Control Unit.

Stanton said:
Jim74656 said:
So just to make sure I’m understanding you correctly the only thing it [TCU] does is provide communication, is this correct?
Basically: that's why it is called the Telecommunications Control Unit.

ok, cool, just wanted to be 100% on that before i yeet it out of the ca, thanks for the help.

Another novice here. I bought the OVMS module, Finally after three tries and a replacement OVMS module ( the other one did not have a SIM card) I am ready to plug it into my car. But where do I plug it in? I have a 2016 Nissan Leaf. Instructions are pretty detailed on the set up, but then leave you hanging when it comes to actually using the module.

Nissan Leaf- Juist found this on the web.
Step 1: Installing the C2 Device ( OVMS)

Remove the C2 Device from its box. Retain the box for future reference to the C2 ID number and Activation Code.
Turn on the vehicle.
Locate the OBD-II port in your vehicle. The OBD-II port is located in the driver footwell, above the brake pedal.
Attach the extension cable to the C2 device. Press firmly to ensure a secure connection.
Attach the opposite end of the cable to the OBD-II port and press firmly to ensure a secure connection.
Tuck the C2 device in the space above the black plastic panel, and zip tie the device to a piece of metal nearby. Tug on the cable gently to ensure it is placed securely.

and this video is great: https://youtu.be/Z9Fsbvd1Kfg

I just published a blog about my OVMS experience here (https://www.myeva.org/blog/add-ovms-to-your-nissan-leaf).
I will add it to my initial post (or two) if I get positive feedback; otherwise I'll just leave it here.

I just discovered this thread and am interested in replacing my TCU with the OVMS, all items. Is it still necessary to do the hardware mod (pins fix) for my 2012 SL? I want the most functionality I can get from this piece, but would likely need help with that.

Thank you!
Kathy

eclecticflower said:
I just discovered this thread and am interested in replacing my TCU with the OVMS, all items. Is it still necessary to do the hardware mod (pins fix) for my 2012 SL? I want the most functionality I can get from this piece, but would likely need help with that.
The hardware mod (for 2011-2012 Leafs) is only necessary if you want to remote start climate control when not plugged in and actively charging. You can do just about everything else without that mod.

eclecticflower said:
Yes, one of the perks I miss is prewarming the car in the parking lot at work to melt ice in winter. Definitely not plugged in there, no plugs.

You should be able to do that now, with the climate control timer, if you know when you'll be leaving work.

Back