Rubber gasket in charging unit (male part)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaLeafy

I'm looking for the gray metal gasket that is at the bottom of the male part of the charging unit. I've been told I have to buy the entire charging unit ($1500) and that Nissan doesn't sell this gasket by itself. Does anyone know of an aftermarket part?

Take the portable charging unit with you to an auto parts store and ask for an O-ring that will fit in the groove. They should be able to sell you one that fits close enough. Unless you charge in the rain, it will not hurt to leave the O-ring out.

Hi Gerry, I can give that a shot but I don't think I've seen an O-ring at an auto parts store that looks like the one for the Leaf. I live in a rain forest so the gasket comes in handly. Thanks!

Is it the gasket shown at 11:43 here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzA5cpI-zNg

If so you are probably going to need to make it. Research time! And pressure test after assembly. Or get another PDM. The PDMs with QC are about half the cost of the ones without, for some reason.

No, that's not the gasket. My gasket is on the plug-in to charge the car. It's on the "male" part of the unit on the inside base. I wish I could post a picture but every time I try and click on the icon (above) for a picture, all it does it insert "
". Any suggestions on posting a pic of the gasket?

AlaskaLeafy said:
Hi Gerry, I can give that a shot but I don't think I've seen an O-ring at an auto parts store that looks like the one for the Leaf. I live in a rain forest so the gasket comes in handly. Thanks!
Just to be clear, you mean the O-ring/gasket that is in the handle that you plug into the car, correct? If so, try this link:
https://www.2040-parts.com/j1772-yazaki-replacement-gasket-seal-i1371920/

Edited to add: I am have not ordered from that link so don't know if it is legitimate. The Yazaki part number for the gasket is 7137-2344-60 so you may be able to search for it from other suppliers online. I found a couple of legitimate sources with minimum order quantity of 100 at $1.75 so that would be $175.00 and you could try selling the rest to others.

I've been dragging my feet on this because I'm busy with other things, but my housemate's '20 had what was obviously a misaligned gasket - but I also had to pull a similar part out of the car's charging PORT before the J-1772 plug would go in. This was following a trip to the dealer for annual service, and to buy the car off-lease... I'll take photos later and post them.

LeftieBiker said:
I've been dragging my feet on this because I'm busy with other things, but my housemate's '20 had what was obviously a misaligned gasket - but I also had to pull a similar part out of the car's charging PORT before the J-1772 plug would go in. This was following a trip to the dealer for annual service, and to buy the car off-lease... I'll take photos later and post them.

What can happen is that the gasket comes loose from the plug of a public charging station and gets stuck in the port on the car. Then the plug at home will not go all the way in to charge the car or the gasket in the home plug gets damaged from forcing the plug. Fortunately, it is easy to remove the gasket(s) from the port and plug with a small screwdriver, knife blade, ice pick, or small hook tool.

Although not ideal, the EVSE can be used to charge the car without a gasket if the gasket is missing or damaged.

If someone can tell me how to post a pic of the gasket I will. Every time I try to do it via this forum using the icon (above), it doesn't work.

It sounds like you have had similar problems with the gasket getting misaligned which prevents charging from occuring. Now, if I can just find a place to buy a spare gasket. The J1772 Yazaki Replacement Gasket Seal on 2040-parts.com might do the trick since it looks similar.

It's far easier to use a public image host like Imgur, and just post a link to it here.

Gerry, the one I found in the port looks fairly different from the one in the plug. I'm guessing that some J-1772 plugs have a slightly different configuration?

Leftiebiker: thanks for the tip about Imgur; I had never heard of it before. I hope this link shows the two pics of the gasket I'm looking for:

https://imgur.com/DZ218RR

AlaskaLeafy,
Except for the color, your gasket looks similar to the Yazaki part number that I referenced earlier. I would not worry about using your charging station without the gasket if you need to before you get a replacement (might want to put a plastic bag over the connector if you must charge in the rain). Your gasket does not look too bad in the one photo you posted on imgur so maybe you could just put it back into position. If necessary, you could use a thin application of clear GE Silicone Sealer (may be called Glue and Seal) to secure the gasket to the male plug. The silicone needs 24 hours to cure for maximum strength so don't use the plug for 24 hours after gluing the gasket.

LeftieBiker,
I have seen those gaskets get really torn up and flattened when they get out of place and the plug is repeated forced at a public charging station. I won't force the plug and I remember pulling one out of a public charging station (when I still had my 2015) that was so flattened and torn up that it was hard to recognize. I believe it was the same as the Yazaki part that I referenced.

Back