Sacramento - California Auto Museum group meet-up March 2nd

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

I am organizing a meeting in Sacramento at the the California Automobile Museum (formerly the Towe Auto Museum). This is more of an informal gathering of members from this group as there will be no formal meeting just a place to meet and chat with group members

When: Saturday March 2nd at 10am - whenever we have had enough.
Where: California Automobile Museum
2200 Front Street Sacramento, CA 95818-1106 Voice (916) 442-6802

http://www.calautomuseum.org/html/currentexhibits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2200...&cid=0,0,4188505119479696851&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

There is not any charging infrastructure on site, except they could run an extension cord to somebody in an emergency. For those who are traveling from out of town and would like to charge during their time inside the museum, we can arrange to give you a ride to the museum from a local garage with charging stations. I suggest that we all meet at 10am in the museum parking lot for a group photo of all the cars, and then we drive all those that need charging to the garage and then they can get a ride back to the museum by someone like myself who will not need to charge. It should be easy to organize in the parking lot once we are all there. Parking in these lots is $1.50/30 min with a $5 maximum charge on the weekend.

There are two garages that each have 6 J1772 EVSE’s. Capitol Garage at 10th and L Street, and City Hall Garage at 10th and I Street. Both of these are close to some eateries for after the museum tour.

After the museum tour we could bring the folks who parked in the garage back to their cars or we could meet for some food afterward on K Street. For now, I’ll suggest Pyramid Breweries
1029 K Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 498-9800

If there are other suggestions, perhaps we can change this. This location is 1-2 blocks from each of the suggested parking lots.

The museum has a large collection of vehicles from the teens through the 40’s as their core displays. Currently there is a nice display of cars from 1968 and also some microcars as their focus exhibits. But, why I suggested we meet here is because they also have a small collection of electric vehicles. One 1913 electric, one GM EV1, 2001 Nissan Hypermini, 2002 Nissan Altra, Nissan fuel cell Xterra, and a few others. The museum has a docent who will be on hand to give some details about the electric cars they have. If there is enough interest from the group in the other cars, we can arrange to have docents give tours of the rest of the collection as well. They really do have a fascinating collection of cars.

Because we are coming as a group, they have offered us a $2 discount on the admission. Admission will be $6 instead of the regular $8.

Here is the loose schedule (i’m sure things will slide a bit) 10:00am - meet in parking lot and arrange group photo of our cars.
10:30am - photos
10:40-11:00 - take those who need to charge to the parking garage
11:00-1:00 - museum tours
1:00 - head to pyramid for after party. This may start earlier since we may not take that long to tour the museum. Probably some folks will head over to lunch closer to 12 noon.

Please note if you are planning to attend and I’ll keep a log here of those planning to come so we can give an approximate head count to the museum.

Participants:
palmer_md (2)
Phoenix (2)
JeremyW (1)
Leafer (1)
guythall (1)
cleanauto (1)
waynekfong (1)

Tesla club forum :
Yes (3)
Maybe (2)

Rav4eb forum:
Yes (0)
Maybe (1)

Diyelectric
Yes (2)
Maybe (2)

20121028-221940.jpg

20121028-222005.jpg

20121028-222029.jpg

20121028-222053.jpg

20121028-222102.jpg

20121028-222127.jpg

20121028-222143.jpg

20130201-183912.jpg

20130201-183920.jpg

20130201-183927.jpg

20130201-183951.jpg

20130201-183939.jpg

Sounds like a fun event!
I think that many of us coming from the Bay Area (especially South Bay) would love to make the trip in our LEAFs. So, the off-site charging arrangements you described above sound good. It's doable if there is access to the Vacaville QC. Do you know if that's possible? Among San Ramon, Concord and Vacaville, that should be sufficient for most anyone from the Bay Area.

Another option might be to make the trip up more leisurely on Friday, overnight in Sac, then come home Saturday afternoon. Any recommended hotels for that option?

Of course, one can always take the gasser on such a trip, but that would seem to be somewhat hypocritical.

I don't know anything about the dcqc in Vacaville. I know ingineer has driven out to sacramento twice so he may have some insight about the trip in a leaf.

In autumn 2011, PG&E sent someone to turn on the DCQC that Saturday morning before a meeting at the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Research Center. However, the actual number of people from the Bay Area who showed up to use it was less than expected (2 or 3 LEAFs?) which shows the disadvantages of such an appointment system (still better than nothing). People want flexibility as to when they can come and use the DCQC (e.g., such as the night before the event through the day after the event).

If we had a reasonable count of LEAFs coming up that weekend (too many and we overtax the one QC if they all show up at the same time; too few and it doesn't seem worth the effort for PG&E), we could ask PG&E to turn it on that weekend. We could display signs showing where in northern California we hail from. Buy a 2013 LEAF and you can get to SF and back.

AND, if Nissan would sponsor the use of that DCQC for that weekend (Friday through Sunday), this could be a good PR event for Nissan, Vacaville & Eaton QC and the sale of 2013 LEAFs. This would be better than using a gas truck to move around Nissan's mobile QC as they seem to do for their various sales and marketing events.

Apply for your Sacramento EV parking pass ($10 processing fee) and you can park in their garages and charge your EV for free. Go to: cityofsacramento.org/transportation/parking/offstreetother.html
Send it in now and pick it up in person on Friday, March 1st before the event.

palmermd said:
JeremyW said:
Put me down for 1. Should be a fun event! I have added it to the general sac meetup thread.

Are you still going to make it to this meet-up? I hope your still here for this one last event.

I think so. I will fight tooth and nail to make it. ;)

So at this point we have only 8-10 people interested. I was thinking there might be more...even our monthly Sacramento meetings have a bigger turnout. Any others from the BayLeafs headed over to check out the Leaf ancestors (Altra, Hypermini)?

palmermd said:
So at this point we have only 8-10 people interested. I was thinking there might be more...even our monthly Sacramento meetings have a bigger turnout. Any others from the BayLeafs headed over to check out the Leaf ancestors (Altra, Hypermini)?

With the Vacaville QC up, there's no excuse now! :)

So far I'm seeing about 10 people who are interested in going to this event. Are there people out there who have not indicated they might be coming? I need to start communicating with the museum to let them have an estimated head count. I originally told them about 25 people, but right now its less than half of that. If you think you might be going, please send me a message or post it here, so I can have a good estimate for the museum (even if you just send me a "maybe").

palmermd said:
So far I'm seeing about 10 people who are interested in going to this event. Are there people out there who have not indicated they might be coming? ...(even if you just send me a "maybe").

I'm a "maybe", but the odds are probably only ~25%, and I wouldn't be able to confirm until that morning.

I'm still a (Chico) DC away from making the (early) morning ~182 mile drive. But I just may be able to fit it in with a Bay Area trip, my tentative planning for which is itself dependent on several factors, including weather conditions.

Are there enough LEAFs planning on using the Vacaville DC Saturday morning, that we need to think about staggering the times planned for charge sessions?

edatoakrun: you live in Chico? My brother, who bought a LEAF does as well. Maybe you guys can meet up at Sierra Nevada for a beer and charge. Chico need it's own LEAF meet up group?

BTW we're working to get fast chargers along 99.

Guy

guythall said:
edatoakrun: you live in Chico? My brother, who bought a LEAF does as well. Maybe you guys can meet up at Sierra Nevada for a beer and charge. Chico need it's own LEAF meet up group?

BTW we're working to get fast chargers along 99.

Guy

I live ~90 miles uphill from Chico, in the exurbs of the metropolis of Oak Run.

I have met a few Redding LEAF owners, but not any from Chico. Maybe we can meet at a Chico EAA event?

http://www.chicoeaa.info/Chico_EAA/Welcome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please post whatever info you have about fast chargers (or even new L2's) Here:

North California LEAFs

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3319&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted the last DC rumors I heard there, last month:

DC at North CA Nissan Dealers?

No luck yet. DCs at just the three Nissan dealerships on the Davis-to-Chico-to-Redding route (which I've driven several times on L2) would get you to within ~100 miles of Ashland, and from there CHAdeMO paradise on the "Electric Highway" all the way to Canada.

As to Crown, I was told their actual DC installation estimate cost was ~$27k, but total cost to "upgrade the service" would exceed $60 k. Neither Nissan corporate nor REU is offering them any incentives, and they just don't anticipate the LEAF sales volume to justify that cost.

I was also told Crown has sold 21 LEAFs so far, and expect to sell ~40 in 2013.

They are now sold out of LEAFs and (to their annoyance) haven't been able to get any since the big incentives on 2012 closeouts were announced.

They have five 2013 on order by March, all SVs and SLs, and while I was there they checked on delivery dates, and two of the march orders have been scheduled for earlier delivery (output from Tennessee ramping up?) are now expected in February, so four in total are now expected to come in next month.

I was told that Chico Nissan might have sold a few more LEAFs than they had in Redding, but since Chico is even more "out of the way" than Redding, A DC there is probably also doubtful...

Ed

We will be keeping folks posted through the SacEV.org mailing list (chapter off EAA). The Chico EAA president is on that list and I imaging he cross posts items of interest (maybe not as he doesn't have a leaf). If you want to be on our list, drop me a note at the president address at SacEV.org.

Guy Hall

Back