SAE J2954 - Wireless EV Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

http://projectgetready.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SAE-J2954-Wireless-Charging-Dec.-2010_2.pdf

Nissan's involved.

Next gen road-mounted inductive makes cross-country by EV possible without 6.6kW L2 or L3. Are we there yet? Are we there yet?!

inductive.jpg

Here is another thread on the topic.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1739&start=0

I still like this idea. Not sure how close you need to get the pickup to the road to get any kind of decent efficiency, but I'm interested to know the results of the testing they are planing. (they have a 1/28 scale model now).

Construction of a demonstration section of “charging road,” and a full-scale test track, are in the planning stages in the German state of Lower Saxony.

Based on their name for the concept of "Vision 2050" it does not sound like they think this will be a quick solution.

The other issue they have is billing the customer. I like the idea of power distribution using the highways since power goes to where the most people are anyway, and charging this way means that we'll never have to worry about fast charging because 40 miles is enough for city driving and when we go from city to city we can just use the lane with the power lines under it and we can pick up a charge as we go and were ready for city driving in the next town.

http://www.iav.com/us/4_events/event.php?we_objectID=15760
http://www.iav.com/us/4_events/event.php?we_objectID=14652

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jfAzpMrTw[/youtube]

This would be awesome! Billing could be done via FastTrack type transponders for charging lanes that are used. Hope this materializes in the near future.

I would even settle for a drive through tunnel carwash type set up. Swipe your card, Drive through food and gas, and a car wash too.

I gotta say, all the "drive over" charging pix I have seen so far would leak magnetically in a huge way, as witnessed by reduced efficiency. I would not want to stand anywhere near one in operation. It's not clear to me how this would be solved without close metal-to-metal proximity, certainly a lot closer than the ground clearance of a typical vehicle.

Standard to be published by 2014, but hopeful companies have to start their design work before that.

Before we get sidetracked on efficiency, on the road efficiency is probably around 90%, the efficiency goes up and down as the car goes over the emitter.. but stationary applications like stops lights and your garage will be higher. In any case it does not matter if the thing is 80% efficient, as long as we generate the power using nukes.. zero CO2 emissions and zero oil imported. Sorry Canada!

An 18 wheeler needs about 120kw when its cruising on the hwy at 60mph or so. It would be nice if the system could supply that and a bit more. Presently they use a 325hp diesel on flat country.

DeaneG said:
I gotta say, all the "drive over" charging pix I have seen so far would leak magnetically in a huge way, as witnessed by reduced efficiency. I would not want to stand anywhere near one in operation. It's not clear to me how this would be solved without close metal-to-metal proximity, certainly a lot closer than the ground clearance of a typical vehicle.
If PMAC motors can activate some coils as needed and turn the others off, why can't the road? They don't need to be on 24/7.

Off the top of my head...what if...

Limited-access road - think HOV-type lane or section of tollway. Kept clear of big truck tire chunks. ;) Coils in the road and fully protected - sweeping, plowing, etc. Metal shoe mounted under Leaf battery box that drops down to a couple inches above the road. Ultrasonic sensors, IR, or other can be used to control an 'active shoe' to maintain spacing. Add a deflector near the front of the car that has less clearance than the shoe - knocks things out of the way if necessary (don't want to damage the inductive pickup with an armadillo...).

Probably not the best idea for Northern Michigan in the winter, but if we solar-heat the charging sections of the smart road... ;)

AndyH said:
Metal shoe mounted under Leaf battery box that drops down to a couple inches above the road. Ultrasonic sensors, IR, or other can be used to control an 'active shoe' to maintain spacing.

That would work for inductive charging at 60hz, but high frequency magnetic resonant systems have done 90% efficiency at a meter airgap separation.. but your idea would work, you could also have brushes that would pick up power directly from road metal strips that way. The car would need periodic maintenance.

Your shoe could also retract quickly if it detects an obstruction... no messy stinky armadillo parts all over.

This sounds promising! As for the billing aspect, just how badly does the government want clean air and reduced oil imports?

*free* *cough* *cough* :lol:

Herm said:
AndyH said:
Metal shoe mounted under Leaf battery box that drops down to a couple inches above the road. Ultrasonic sensors, IR, or other can be used to control an 'active shoe' to maintain spacing.

That would work for inductive charging at 60hz, but high frequency magnetic resonant systems have done 90% efficiency at a meter airgap separation.. but your idea would work, you could also have brushes that would pick up power directly from road metal strips that way. The car would need periodic maintenance.

Your shoe could also retract quickly if it detects an obstruction... no messy stinky armadillo parts all over.
A small robotic attachment that is leased at the beginning of a long-distance trip. Drive over the pit, the unit is snapped into place. The rental fee (er, ahem, rental free) includes the pickup and electricity for the trip. Inductive, conductive, rollers, brushes, whatever!

We can call it ... "Much Better Place" as we're not swapping the pack we're just standardizing the removable power pickup. ;)

Hey - this is fun! :lol:

Back