Saw a truck full of RAV4 EVs in the Port of Long Beach area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

I saw a truck full of RAV4 EVs in the Port of Long Beach area today. I think there were about 8 on this car-transporter. I have never seen that many RAV4 EVs at one time. Makes me wonder why they were heading towards the shipping docks?

Here's some pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61217367@N05/5575904646/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61217367@N05/5575903830/in/photostream/

We got 8 yesterday at Santa Monica. Chris Paine's LEAF is one of them. It's fun when we get to call people and tell them their car is here. To date, we'd only delivered 10, but as of tomorrow, that will be 18. More to come...

PaulScott said:
We got 8 yesterday at Santa Monica. Chris Paine's LEAF is one of them. It's fun when we get to call people and tell them their car is here. To date, we'd only delivered 10, but as of tomorrow, that will be 18. More to come...
PaulScott said:
Whoa! I just realized you were talking about RAVs. I did a double take. They are definitely fleet RAVs, might be SoCal Edison's. They have the world's biggest fleet of EVs, at one time around 300. I think some of the cars may be hitting their "wall". The replacement NiMH packs are probably dwindling in number. With new packs, these could be very long lived EVs. Mine is still going strong at 8 years, 90K miles.

PaulScott said:
They are definitely fleet RAVs, might be SoCal Edison's. They have the world's biggest fleet of EVs, at one time around 300. I think some of the cars may be hitting their "wall". The replacement NiMH packs are probably dwindling in number. With new packs, these could be very long lived EVs. Mine is still going strong at 8 years, 90K miles.
I zoomed up the pics and I can make out the "EDISON" on the door. Boy, they look awfully clean for cars that have been in service for several years.

davewill said:
PaulScott said:
They are definitely fleet RAVs, might be SoCal Edison's. They have the world's biggest fleet of EVs, at one time around 300. I think some of the cars may be hitting their "wall". The replacement NiMH packs are probably dwindling in number. With new packs, these could be very long lived EVs. Mine is still going strong at 8 years, 90K miles.
I zoomed up the pics and I can make out the "EDISON" on the door. Boy, they look awfully clean for cars that have been in service for several years.

Ed Kjaer at SCE says they averaged $200/year maintaining each RAV. I haven't spent a dime on mine in years. All the kWh came from sunshine and zero maintenance.

AndyH said:
Paul - any idea where they're going? Auction? :shock:

Unlikely. They could be going to another user somewhere, but they also could be going for scrap. It's hard to tell. You'd have to call the folks at toyota in Torrance.

When we negotiated the stopping of them crushing these cars, there were about 800 left (Toyota had already crushed about 500-600 RAVs). The deal was that whoever was leasing them could continue to do so at $300/month until such time as they no longer wanted them. I know all the fleets liked them, so pretty much the only reason they'd be turned in is if there was a financial reason, in other words, a significant repair along the lines of needing a new pack.

They would sure make good project cars for colleges and high schools.

PaulScott said:
AndyH said:
Paul - any idea where they're going? Auction? :shock:

Unlikely. They could be going to another user somewhere, but they also could be going for scrap. It's hard to tell. You'd have to call the folks at toyota in Torrance.

When we negotiated the stopping of them crushing these cars, there were about 800 left (Toyota had already crushed about 500-600 RAVs). The deal was that whoever was leasing them could continue to do so at $300/month until such time as they no longer wanted them. I know all the fleets liked them, so pretty much the only reason they'd be turned in is if there was a financial reason, in other words, a significant repair along the lines of needing a new pack.

They would sure make good project cars for colleges and high schools.
They're perfect lithium conversion candidates!

Back