Schneider EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darthracing said:
Anyone see the outdoor unit available online?
Could this version from HD be installed outdoors (under roof eve, in N California)?

Looking for a cabinet for my modded EVSE at the moment...

No, the EV2430WS is indoor rated only, it's a plastic cabinet with no weather seals.

If you go back a few pages, there is a post with links to the "Grainger" website (I may have even posted it), they do make outdoor units, however, they are 4-8 times more expensive. Your probably better off with the SPX or the AV EVSE-RS for outdoor use.

Mitch, did you get this evse early to get the 2011 30% tax credit? I was pondering getting one now for ghat reason, bug then I figured there will
likely be a better evse that is more than 30% less on the market by 2012...

Erik

essaunders said:
Mitch, did you get this evse early to get the 2011 30% tax credit? I was pondering getting one now for ghat reason, bug then I figured there will

Erik

Yes, that was the reasoning behind it. Its still something, at the final price was 729.00 - $50.00 HD coupon code + tax (721.44 total), the installation parts cost me about $60 total (40A SquareD Homeline breaker, 20' 3/4" PVC, fittings, #8 THHN wire, etc), so total of 781.44, figure I get to reduce it by %30 or $234.43, I don't think we are going to see sub $550 L2 EVSEs in 2012 (installed price), even if we do, from reading about AMT, its better to take the EVSE credit in a different year from the Vehicle credit, to make sure you can use the entire credit in each tax year. Besides, now every time I walk into my garage, I'm going to say "where is that PHEV/EV!", also I like the Schnieder because its a 7.2KW EVSE (30A), thats better than the Leviton which is out now for more $ and is only a 3.6KW capable EVSE, the GE Wattstation is still nearly $1,000, the SPX PowerExpress is nice (also a 30A EVSE), and has adjustable amperage on it, but its $749 + shipping and looks rather industrial

I was going to do this at the end of 2010, but the only options availble to me then where the Clipper Creek CC-40 or CC-100 for $2200 and $2550 respectivly, using the eaa discount, even getting the %50 2009/2010 tax credit on those it was still too much money. Its dropped enough in price now, that I just decided to get it done now.

essaunders said:
Erik
I assume you are referring to a 30% state-specific tax credit and not the 50% Federal tax credit?

aqn said:
essaunders said:
Erik
I assume you are referring to a 30% state-specific tax credit and not the 50% Federal tax credit?

No state credit that I know of. The tax credit reverted to the %30 federal credit after the 2009/2010 special %50 credit expired.

aqn said:
essaunders said:
Erik

I would think he was referring to the Federal tax credit incentive (from pluginamerica.org):

http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives#federal

"For Charge Stations

The EV infrastructure tax credit was extended for one year until 12/31/11 at prestimulus levels. This means that the tax credit on an EV charge station is 30% up to $1000 for consumers and 30% up to $30,000 for businesses rather than 50% up to $2,000/50% up to $50,000 as it has been for the past two years. Applies to equipment installed before the end of 2011. Plug In America is currently working to extend and raise this important tax credit."

EdmondLeaf said:
Schneider EVSE in stock again at http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 and still $50 discount coupon so $679 before tax with free ship. Look so nice and hopefully works same way
da02ad52-b65a-4dca-8793-5d2eff110bbf_400.jpg

+1 as mentioned a bit earlier in this thread, ordered but immediately went to backorder from HD but as they no doubt drop ship these, I got my UPS tracking info late today (free shipping) so its on its way and will be here in plenty of time for my electrician on 10/7

just placed my order for mine at home depot online. Figuring It'll be better to take the 30% this year when we know it'll be available rather than betting on a 30% cheaper option in early next year....

essaunders said:
just placed my order for mine at home depot online. Figuring It'll be better to take the 30% this year when we know it'll be available rather than betting on a 30% cheaper option in early next year....
Best to take the credit in a year that you do not buy the LEAF. EVSE credit is subject to alternative minimum tax triggered by the 7500 purchase credit.
Of course if leasing there is no issue.

perhaps not the best place to ask this (buried at page 26 of a fairly narrow thread), but were there any reported problems in the 2010 tax year with people "putting into service" and EVSE for which they didn't own a car yet?

smkettner said:
essaunders said:
Best to take the credit in a year that you do not buy the LEAF. EVSE credit is subject to alternative minimum tax triggered by the 7500 purchase credit.
Of course if leasing there is no issue.

Also, unless you plan to be REAL close in using the entire $7,500 for the car, the extra $300 or so additional tax credit for the charger + install should not put you over enough to fall prey to AMT but of course everyone's situation is different. Lastly, as this is really the Schneider EVSE thread, I thought I would also check on it's journey to Chicago -- first stop was Port Allen, LA and then New Orleans, I would imagine I'll see it 9/30 or 10/1.

UPDATE: Port Allen, LA > New Orleans, LA > Jackson, MS > Chicago ('burbs) at 2:36 PM TODAY 9/28 !

The biggest question I have is whether there will even be an EVSE credit in 2012. I certainly won't get a car in 2011, but I might be able to get an EVSE...

Strictly by definition, an EVSE is placed into service if it is energized and ready to charge a vehicle. You do not need to have the vehicle yet.

essaunders said:
The biggest question I have is whether there will even be an EVSE credit in 2012. I certainly won't get a car in 2011, but I might be able to get an EVSE...

The federal tax credit is supposed to extend until the manufacturer has produced 200,000 units of its electric vehicle. http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=206875,00.html

Plug-in Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (Section 1141): The new law modifies the credit for qualified plug-in electric drive vehicles purchased after Dec. 31, 2009. To qualify, vehicles must be newly purchased, have four or more wheels, have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 14,000 pounds, and draw propulsion using a battery with at least four kilowatt hours that can be recharged from an external source of electricity. The minimum amount of the credit for qualified plug-in electric drive vehicles is $2,500 and the credit tops out at $7,500, depending on the battery capacity. The full amount of the credit will be reduced with respect to a manufacturer's vehicles after the manufacturer has sold at least 200,000 vehicles.

Given that no politicians seem to be able to agree with any other politicians and that everything seems to be stalemated in Washington, it is unlikely that this tax credit will be elimintated any time soon. IMHO

Wrong credit -- The vehicle credit is good through the 200000 vehicles. It's the 30% EVSE credit I believe is only good through 2011. That same credit had been 50% in 2010.

essaunders said:
Wrong credit -- The vehicle credit is good through the 200000 vehicles. It's the 30% EVSE credit I believe is only good through 2011. That same credit had been 50% in 2010.

the credit was %30 before 2009/2010, when it was tempoarily raised to %50, its likely to stay at %30 for a while.

redLEAF said:
aqn said:
essaunders said:
Erik

I would think he was referring to the Federal tax credit incentive (from pluginamerica.org):

http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives#federal

"For Charge Stations

The EV infrastructure tax credit was extended for one year until 12/31/11 at prestimulus levels. This means that the tax credit on an EV charge station is 30% up to $1000 for consumers and 30% up to $30,000 for businesses rather than 50% up to $2,000/50% up to $50,000 as it has been for the past two years. Applies to equipment installed before the end of 2011. Plug In America is currently working to extend and raise this important tax credit."

Correct -- as mentioned earlier; again we're not talking about a lot of money but I'll take whatever credit I can against taxes -- if you know for sure that you'll be going electric I would install a charger this year -- similar % of install/equipment credit was given for energy upgrades for home improvements and I was able to take one for energy efficient skylights last year, it helps offset the cost a bit and saves energy as well in the long run -- these credits are fickle and don't automatically get renewed so you may not count on seeing them next year.

essaunders said:

Oh. Sorry. I missed that you were talking about the EVSE not the vehicle. :oops:

It looks like that percentage EVSE credit is for businesses installing that equipment. 50% in 2009 and 2010. 30% in 2011.

Individual consumers can take $1000.

But I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last. ;)

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/351

... The credit amount is up to 30% of the cost, not to exceed $30,000 for equipment placed into service in 2011. Equipment placed into service in 2009 and 2010 may receive a credit in the amount of 50% of eligible costs not to exceed $50,000. Fueling station owners who install qualified equipment at multiple sites are allowed to use the credit towards each location. Consumers who purchase qualified residential fueling equipment may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000. ...

essaunders said:

Here is a link to "Plug In Amercia" which has all of the various State & Federal incentives and rebates listed, even by state...

http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back