Schneider EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
I have had the EVLink for a year now with no problems. Even though we have no real complaints, if you are looking for feedback, here's some FWIW:
- I find the "user interface" to be unintuitive. Not sure what the point is of the circle of LEDs. The car has instrumentation for battery SOC and charge timing, and I just use the EVSE basically as an extension cord and ignore any UI on the box
- If you are going to provide a UI on the box, seems to me a simpler and better solution would be just a couple pilot lights, input power is present, and power being applied to the car (contactor closed)
- If you want to get fancy, a digital display would be good, amps/watts flowing and kWh delivered counters... three of them, lifetime, since reset, and since last connection was established
- Even though it doesn't really seem to matter, the flimsy plastic housing on the unit is doesn't give a good impression of product quality
- Not sure about that strain relief, looks cheesy, not sure it even meets the spec... isn't the cable supposed to have some breakaway safety feature?
- An LED light on the "nozzle" would be handy, and a good differentiator.

LTLFTcomposite,

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad to hear the EVlink has been working for you. I'll make sure that your feedback gets to the EVlink team.

I'm with you on a display with kWh delivered for some metering capabilities. Good suggestion for the three display types.

Hi all,

I just bought my Leaf at the end of November, and we are loving it so far. However, charging it each time with the L1 EVSE is becoming a pain for more than a few reasons and so it's time to get an L2. I was looking at this Schneider EVLink as it has received positive feedback and is one of the more inexpensive units (my dealership also recommended it).

After reading this thread, it appears that there is now a new version of the L2 charger. My question is, how can we tell if we are purchasing the new and improved unit over the 1st generation? Are the model numbers the same (EV2430WS)? I see that Home Depot is now listing this unit as a "First Generation" on their website, but are other retailers guaranteed to be shipping the new version at this point? Has anyone purchased directly from Schneider, and what was the price?

Thanks!

BoulderLeaf said:
Hi all,

I just bought my Leaf at the end of November, and we are loving it so far. However, charging it each time with the L1 EVSE is becoming a pain for more than a few reasons and so it's time to get an L2. I was looking at this Schneider EVLink as it has received positive feedback and is one of the more inexpensive units (my dealership also recommended it).

After reading this thread, it appears that there is now a new version of the L2 charger. My question is, how can we tell if we are purchasing the new and improved unit over the 1st generation? Are the model numbers the same (EV2430WS)? I see that Home Depot is now listing this unit as a "First Generation" on their website, but are other retailers guaranteed to be shipping the new version at this point? Has anyone purchased directly from Schneider, and what was the price?

Thanks!

Well, after some Google'ing and general sleuth work, I found my answer. There are even threads discussing the differences on this board (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10566 for example). Oops! :oops:

I'm probably going for the Gen 2 over the Gen 1, even though it's a bit more money ($50).

Thanks again for all of the great info here!

BoulderLeaf said:
Has anyone purchased directly from Schneider, and what was the price?

The major hardware stores carry the EVlink on their websites if they don't have them in your local store. The GEN 1 and GEN2 EVlink will look the same except there is a receptacle holster for the plug in GEN2. The indicator lights for the timer flash in a different way between the two generations. Gen2 also works at 208V or the original 240V. The GEN2 ground fault sensor has a new current and frequency profile to avoid some electrical noise sources in the home reported to the industry.

I have both GEN1 and GEN2 Schneider EVlink in my garage and the LEAF has charged the same for each. No difference noticed for me.

Gwizzz said:
BoulderLeaf said:

The major hardware stores carry the EVlink on their websites if they don't have them in your local store. The GEN 1 and GEN2 EVlink will look the same except there is a receptacle holster for the plug in GEN2. The indicator lights for the timer flash in a different way between the two generations. Gen2 also works at 208V or the original 240V. The GEN2 ground fault sensor has a new current and frequency profile to avoid some electrical noise sources in the home reported to the industry.

I have both GEN1 and GEN2 Schneider EVlink in my garage and the LEAF has charged the same for each. No difference noticed for me.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go the Gen 2 route for a variety of reasons.

BoulderLeaf said:
Gwizzz said:
BoulderLeaf said:

Thanks. I think I'm going to go the Gen 2 route for a variety of reasons.

I hope this isn't too late, but for future reference, the way to make sure that you know which generation you are getting:
Gen 1 model is EV2430WS
Gen 2 model is EV230WS

Gwizzz discussed the major changes (see quote above).

WarrenSE said:
I hope this isn't too late, but for future reference, the way to make sure that you know which generation you are getting:
Gen 1 model is EV2430WS
Gen 2 model is EV230WS

Gwizzz discussed the major changes (see quote above).

Nope, not too late, thanks for the info! I want to talk to my electrician about becoming a certified EcoXpert (I think all that is required is a webinar, but I'm not sure) and then execute.

I look forward to the new L2 charger, thanks for all of the info everyone!

I have the gen 1 and have had no problems. Has not caused any interference with my Enphase inverters.

Will it still work when I get my next EV? My '12 SL charges at 3.3 kW, 16A, but my next car will be 6.6 kW and 32A, and I believe the gen 1 EV Link only goes up to 30A, so will it stop there, but still supply my next Leaf?

I don't know how much overhead there is with the 6.6 kW chargers, but 30 amps at 240 volts is 7.2 kW. I would think that would be plenty (at least that's what I'm counting on, if I ever get an EV with a 6.6 kW charger).

My guess is if the Leaf gets a 6.6kW output charger, it'll need about 7.6-7.7kW input for full rate charging. (240v 32a) If you charge on an EVSE only rated for 30A, it will probably charge slightly slower at around 6.3kW into the pack. Still, that's likely well under 4 hours.

-Phil

when we first received our schneider units in 2010 we took one of the poor things and did unspeakable things to it!! these units will put out a consitant 32 amps. thats is land power,generators,inverters.208v will net 6.6kw ,230v-7.3 ,240v,7.6 and of course our favorite local voltage 251v-8.0. the drop out voltage is about 189v.and no we did not destroy this unit it is hooked up as our family charging unit and yes I still do unthinkable things to it,so is the life of a test unit!!! 6673 hrs and counting!!!

My Schneider gen 2 (EV230WS) EVSE is finally hooked up and working at the house. I had a couple of issues, but not with the EVSE. I opted for a tou-ev-1 rate with SCE, which meant that I had to have another meter installed, and get a permit from the city, and they had to approve the installation before Edison would hook me up. In my case the easiest way to hook things up was to add another meter enclosure with another weatherhead, and have Edison tie both into the incoming drop, which is one of the suggested methods by Edison. The city of Norwalk CA had never seen anything like this, so it took 2 visits, and I had to explain to them in great detail how the system worked. Edison came out yesterday, and instead of adding another meter to the new enclosure, they disconnected my house, ran the wires to the new service, and moved the meter to it. :eek: When another crew came out to straighten out that mess, they said that they had never seen an installation like that before.

Have pictures?

I've never seen this done either. I would have surmised they'd want you to install a new weatherhead with wiring capable of handling both loads (unless the wiring in your existing one was sufficient) and then mount a second meter box right next to the existing and just bridge the inputs.

There are even dual-meter boxes, which could have simply replaced your existing one, such as this setup:

20100305002_Wiring%20the%20dual%20meter%20socket.jpg

-Phil

No pictures right now, but I can post a couple in the next day or so.

The existing service was 100 amp, so I had plenty left over to charge my Leaf with the existing weatherhead, but Edison said that I couldn't just put the new box next to the old one and jumper the input side. My options were;

A)replace existing service entrance with a 2 meter box. That would have meant pulling the old box and re-wiring all the breakers. Didn't want to do that.
B)install 2nd meter box with gutter above feeding both boxes.
C)or install 2nd meter box with separate weatherhead and let Edison jumper them. That just seemed the easiest and cheapest.

I only lost power to the house for a few hours, so it worked out okay.

maximumnutrition said:
Hello fellow leaf owners,
I am looking in to buying a level 2 charger and I ran across this site.
The prices were a lot cheaper than home depot or lowes.
Does anyone know of this site or has ordered from them?Thanks.

http://www.sale-tools.com/categories/El" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -Chargers/

Pls don't post the same information multiple times in different threads.

Hi again,

I purchased the 2nd Generation Schneider EV Link (model EV230WS, as stated previously) and after receiving it I went on-line to register and just generally inspect it prior to installation Friday morning. I noticed that all was as expected, EXCEPT for the actual model number on the EV unit itself - the sticker on the unit itself still has the old model number (EV2430WS). The serial number (or what I suspect is the serial number) on that sticker matches what it stuck to the underside of the box, and the box has the new model number on it. And, the manuals all appear to be the new 2nd Generation ones. Plus, I received the new-style hose and connector holster with the female J1772 receptacle (but the bracket is missing the center mounting holes!). The actual EVLink housing also has the sticker for the free skin...

So, my question is, did I receive an actual 2nd Generation device, or did somehow a 1st Generation device get stuck in a 2nd Generation box (or something of the like)? Or, are the model numbers on the stickers of 2nd Generation devices still showing the model numbers of the 1st Generation devices?

Thanks for any help!

BoulderLeaf said:
Hi again,

I purchased the 2nd Generation Schneider EV Link (model EV230WS, as stated previously) and after receiving it I went on-line to register and just generally inspect it prior to installation Friday morning. I noticed that all was as expected, EXCEPT for the actual model number on the EV unit itself - the sticker on the unit itself still has the old model number (EV2430WS). The serial number (or what I suspect is the serial number) on that sticker matches what it stuck to the underside of the box, and the box has the new model number on it. And, the manuals all appear to be the new 2nd Generation ones. Plus, I received the new-style hose and connector holster with the female J1772 receptacle (but the bracket is missing the center mounting holes!). The actual EVLink housing also has the sticker for the free skin...

So, my question is, did I receive an actual 2nd Generation device, or did somehow a 1st Generation device get stuck in a 2nd Generation box (or something of the like)? Or, are the model numbers on the stickers of 2nd Generation devices still showing the model numbers of the 1st Generation devices?

Thanks for any help!

So, I figured this out and will post in case anyone else has the same issue.

I ended up calling Schneider today (and just as everyone else has said - they are super friendly and very responsive!). After some research by their tech and a callback after an hour or so, I found out that the deal is that at some point just before Christmas, when making the new 2nd Gen EVLinks, they ran out of the new model labels and so just used leftover labels with the old model number on them in order to not cause a delay in order fulfillment. There was a "pallet" or so worth of new 2nd Generation units that went out like this. The tech said that there is a date code on the lower right corner of the unit that they would go by for any warranty work, but I was at work when I called and not able to look at the charger to verify.

After I got home, I verified that I have the 2nd Generation by visually inspecting the housing differences that I found online with that unit I purchased. And yes, indeed, I do have the 2nd Generation device.

Strange, right?

BoulderLeaf said:
Strange, right?

Crazy stuff! My same device as yours arrived yesterday but I haven't yet had time to remove it from the box. My electrician friend is coming over tomorrow for install so I'll try to verify if mine is the same as yours. I'm in high hopes that all is right and well for my install and parts arrived correct. If going off the manuals I pulled from the box and the outside of the box, it is correct. But I didn't pull the actual hardware out of the box yet...

BoulderLeaf said:
BoulderLeaf said:
Hi again,

Thanks for any help!

So, I figured this out and will post in case anyone else has the same issue.

I ended up calling Schneider today (and just as everyone else has said - they are super friendly and very responsive!). After some research by their tech and a callback after an hour or so, I found out that the deal is that at some point just before Christmas, when making the new 2nd Gen EVLinks, they ran out of the new model labels and so just used leftover labels with the old model number on them in order to not cause a delay in order fulfillment. There was a "pallet" or so worth of new 2nd Generation units that went out like this. The tech said that there is a date code on the lower right corner of the unit that they would go by for any warranty work, but I was at work when I called and not able to look at the charger to verify.

After I got home, I verified that I have the 2nd Generation by visually inspecting the housing differences that I found online with that unit I purchased. And yes, indeed, I do have the 2nd Generation device.

Strange, right?

BoulderLeaf,

I apologize for not having a response sooner! You are correct, the first few Gen 2 models were mistakenly printed with the old catalog number. We apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience it may have caused.

To recap and help anyone else, if you purchased a Gen 2 model (EV230WS) but the unit has a sticker/serial number "EV2430WS" you do have the newer unit. The Gen 1 model (EV2430WS) does not even have a serial number, rather just the model and date code.

Again, we apologize for any confusion, and if there are still any concerns or questions about the EVlink products, feel free to contact our support at the following number: 1-888-778- 2733

Back