SD Card Slot - Audio Files?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmeljeff

Perhaps this has been covered, but I did do a search and didn't find any results.

I was unable to get the empty SD Card slot to work as a audio file storage / playback location. I'm curious if anyone has been successful in getting this to work yet. I'm guessing it's not a function of the LEAF, so anyone been able to do a mod?

I'd love to be able to have the SD Card slot store audio files, while leaving the USB port available for iPhone charging / additional audio file storage / playback.

As for as I can tell, the "A" SD Card slot is only for moving Nav data...though, not entirely sure for which purpose...backups?

Anyways, if someone has a definitive answer as to whether the SD Card slot can / could be used for audio file playback, I'd love to know.

As far as I can tell, the two SD slots are unrelated to audio functions.
They are for Nav only.

The best way to get SD audio into the car is via the USB port.

I use a microSD with a very small USB adapter. The whole thing is just a nub on the USB port and stores 16GB of music.

I don't know what the second SD slot is for -- possibly map expansion, or firmware updates, or undecided future use.

GroundLoop said:
I don't know what the second SD slot is for -- possibly map expansion, or firmware updates, or undecided future use.
Firmware updates and backing up NAV data (address book, charging locations)

An SD card in the normally-empty SD slot can be used
to backup (and load) ... mostly your "address book".

There might be other functions we have not discovered yet,
but this address-backup and restore is a tested function.

GroundLoop said:
If nav (map) updates are over the air, they're probably just overwriting the data that's already on the existing single card, no?
Updates are not OTA... Just like all the other nav systems, we get to shell out some $$ for updates every year... :(

rawhog said:
Navteq say there is a DVD used to update the system. But, it also says that upon purchase you get an activation code that is used at the dealer. So, it appears that after you pay $99 for the update you need to pay the dealer to install it.
The activation code style is the straight HD nav system with compact flash card slot. The newer systems you just replace the SD card with a updated one purchased from Navteq.

danmeljeff said:
I was unable to get the empty SD Card slot to work as a audio file storage / playback location.

As for as I can tell, the "A" SD Card slot is only for moving Nav data...though, not entirely sure for which purpose...backups?

Anyways, if someone has a definitive answer as to whether the SD Card slot can / could be used for audio file playback, I'd love to know.

I can confirm from my own experience that what you say is true: no audio files on the empty SD slot. I was hoping to copy the hundreds of music files from my compact flash card that inserts and hides in my Honda Civic nav and in essence functions as my iPod. No luck, so I am going to purchase a USB flash card, looking for at least 8GB storage and as small and fast as possible. I'm figuring about $39. But to have this thing sticking up and occupying the USB port on the console is disappointing.

Otto

704HOV1095 said:
No luck, so I am going to purchase a USB flash card, looking for at least 8GB storage and as small and fast as possible. I'm figuring about $39. But to have this thing sticking up and occupying the USB port on the console is disappointing.

Otto

8GB USB sticks can be had @ Fry's for <$15. Myself, I'll be plugging in my iPhone/iPod (tested the interface and like it).

garygid said:
$15 very Low-Profile 8 GB flash drive at Amazon:
Lexar Echo ZE 8 GB USB 2.0
I've got a Lexar Echo 32 GB. When I drove the Hertz rental LEAF in NYC, it worked fine. It's physically so small you hardly know it's there. As a matter of fact, my big concern was forgetting to take it with me when I returned the car.

garygid said:

Has anyone been able to import an address book? I saved mine off the Mac
onto an SD in vCard format but the LEAF can't see it.

I have tried to initialize several different SD cards in the 'empty' slot using the navigator SD initialization menu and it will not recognize the card. Has anyone been able to get the slot to do anything or do I have a malfunction to deal with? I've used 8M, 128M, 1G, 2G, 4G, 6G, 8G sizes all work fine with FAT directory system and I have tried with and without the write protection. I would like to expand the available phone / address book space and was hoping the 2nd SD slot might be able to help.

garygid said:

I attempted to do exactly this today. I want to back up the address book, including the 200+ telephone numbers which are stored and visible when the "handset contacts" is pressed. See, my Android phone had a major melt-down and even the on-line backup for the phone is missing the telephone data. Anyway, I did fresh format of an SD card and inserted it into the "B" slot. Nothing. I then removed the A card with map data and inserted the cards in reverse order. Received a message on the screen that navigation system was not present. I removed the new SD card and reformatted it in EXT file format rather than FAT. Still nothing.

I am really itching to figure out how to do this including pulling the unit out and attaching appropriate connections to it and using my Linux box to have it spill it's guts as I did with the Blink Unit.

Any recommendations or pointers in the correct direction???

Thanks in Advance

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
garygid said:

I attempted to do exactly this today. I want to back up the address book, including the 200+ telephone numbers which are stored and visible when the "handset contacts" is pressed. See, my Android phone had a major melt-down and even the on-line backup for the phone is missing the telephone data. Anyway, I did fresh format of an SD card and inserted it into the "B" slot. Nothing. I then removed the A card with map data and inserted the cards in reverse order. Received a message on the screen that navigation system was not present. I removed the new SD card and reformatted it in EXT file format rather than FAT. Still nothing.

I am really itching to figure out how to do this including pulling the unit out and attaching appropriate connections to it and using my Linux box to have it spill it's guts as I did with the Blink Unit.

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Format it on a PC for FAT then remove from the PC and plug the SD into the 'B' slot. Don't bother with the Nissan NAV formatting stuff and go straight to the phone book transfer menus.

Nekota said:
CWO4Mann said:
garygid said:

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Format it on a PC for FAT then remove from the PC and plug the SD into the 'B' slot. Don't bother with the Nissan NAV formatting stuff and go straight to the phone book transfer menus.

Thanks for the comeback answer ... However, I did exactly what you recommended and with a new OTB card which I tried without formatting (it is supposed to be already formatted as a FAT partition). No go. System did not recognize it. So, I went ahead with the lap top ain the car and did a format as FAT, MTFS, EXT3, EXT4, MAC, LSMFT and every other format I have on my Linux box. Then tried each one in turn. Nada. OK, I am not waiting for delivery of a Micro SD Card adaptor which is a USB on one end and a modified SDHC card on the other end. Plug it in and go to command line and root around. Will report back with the results of that. Meanwhile, I am looking at pulling the whole unit and cloning a bunch of stuff and also finding a way to use that second video input connector so I can use it to control the graphic interface on my Ham Radio Rig.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Nekota said:
CWO4Mann said:

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Thanks for the comeback answer ... However, I did exactly what you recommended and with a new OTB card which I tried without formatting (it is supposed to be already formatted as a FAT partition). No go. System did not recognize it. So, I went ahead with the lap top ain the car and did a format as FAT, MTFS, EXT3, EXT4, MAC, LSMFT and every other format I have on my Linux box. Then tried each one in turn. Nada. OK, I am not waiting for delivery of a Micro SD Card adaptor which is a USB on one end and a modified SDHC card on the other end. Plug it in and go to command line and root around. Will report back with the results of that. Meanwhile, I am looking at pulling the whole unit and cloning a bunch of stuff and also finding a way to use that second video input connector so I can use it to control the graphic interface on my Ham Radio Rig.

Dave

The SD card I am using is a Class 4 - 4GB "Patriot" formatted on windows 7/64 as FAT32 with 4K bytes in each allocation unit. I stored or backed up the locations using the information from the Navigation manual page 3-67 'Transferring Information to/from address book'. What I see is a directory 'userdata' with 3 files, homelocation.hlc, storedlocation.slc and stsfile with 8 bytes 'exp_fin'. The hlc and slc files are binary with some ascii data, the homelocation has my GPS location and some other information I haven't bothered to decode. I tried to format or initialize several SD cards in the LEAF and could not get that feature to work. So I just tried to transfer the address book information and it worked.

Now has anyone decoded the format of the slc file?

Back