Seattle - home charging info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannamc

Hello! We are in Seattle and thinking about getting a Leaf very soon. We actually might get it this weekend, but I'm guessing the home charging setup takes a few weeks, so I guess we would just have to slow charge/find places around to charge in the meantime. One thing I am not sure about is getting the home charging station set up. Is there anyone in the area who has done this and can tell me about the process? We have a friend who works for the city and said we might be able to get a charging station for less if we allow them to monitor the usage, wondering if anyone has experience with that (the way he worded it was that it was just a Seattle thing). We are in the city proper and have a single family home. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Yes, there are, maybe were, attractive EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) programs available, but I am not familiar with the details since my location did not qualify.

So why am I posting? Just to 'bump' the thread to the top so others who know will see it. Your dealer should know, but if not, many here will help. Hope you get a LEAF.

I think any programs Seattle City Light may have had have ended now. Or at least I couldn't find any on their website. You might want to ask your friend again to find out the name of the program.

Nothing Seattle-specific listed here:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/state_summary/WA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.seattle.gov/environment/EV.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This page mentions the permitting process:
http://www.seattle.gov/light/electricVehicles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!

Your friend might have been referring to the federal grants to install EVSEs and study their usage. Ecotality did this but AFAIK they have installed their last free one. There is still a federal tax credit though.

No need to rush regarding the charger (seems to me you can find some other options here in the forum). I've had my Leaf just over a month and have gotten by quite nicely without a charging station at home. I am able to trickle charge while at work and since I shop at Freddy's, I can use their quick charger while I'm shopping. Actually who cares if I'm shopping or not.

Verne

mannamc said:
Hello! We are in Seattle and thinking about getting a Leaf very soon. We actually might get it this weekend, but I'm guessing the home charging setup takes a few weeks, so I guess we would just have to slow charge/find places around to charge in the meantime. One thing I am not sure about is getting the home charging station set up. Is there anyone in the area who has done this and can tell me about the process? We have a friend who works for the city and said we might be able to get a charging station for less if we allow them to monitor the usage, wondering if anyone has experience with that (the way he worded it was that it was just a Seattle thing). We are in the city proper and have a single family home. Thanks!

sign up for Seattle LEAF owners group on Facebook. you will be able to ask 300 people how they took care of their charging needs

Back