Shifter Control Module replacement on 2019 SL plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apk

Hi all -

A newbie Leaf owner here. We recently purchased a 2019 SL plus with 23k miles on it. Earlier this week, the Leaf got stuck in parking gear with the dashboard/console giving the warning "When Parked Apply Parking Brake". Initial google search indicated it is sometimes caused by a low 12V battery. The rest of the dashboard, battery, all would turn on as expected but we could not get the car get into Reverse, Neutral or Drive. After towing to the dealer and having it checked, we were told the "Shifter Control Module" needs to be replaced. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Additional search hasn't given a lot of hits on what would cause the shifter control module failure in a fairly new car.

We are trying to determine if this is a bad part or a sign of larger issues in the car. Is this an issue specific to EVs and Leaf? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, APK

Welcome. The shifter control module does occasionally fail, but I don't know of it happening with a newer Leaf. A low 12 volt battery is more likely, IMO. Check the voltage with the car off for 30 minutes with the hood open, to avoid opening the doors. If voltage at rest like this is below 12.2 volts, the battery is too low. Do you leave the car plugged in for many hours after charging ends?

The car is at the dealer, will ask them to check the battery as well. We have charged the car only once with an L2 charger at home. Since it is pre-owned, hard to say how it was charged previously.

2019 SL Plus should still be under full 3-year, 36,000-mile warranty (including the 12V battery) since the plus models were not available until early in calendar year 2019. Since you bought it used, ask the dealer for the in service date so you will have it for future reference.

We've just experienced a very similar problem with our 2018 Leaf. But ours cleared after 30 minutes or so and driving ok since. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, which has left me in a rather awkward position, feels like I've got a ticking time bomb on my hands. Would be interested to know what happens with yours.

Just got a quote from the dealer to replace the shifter module - £858 fitted including VAT. So not crazy expensive, but probably should wait to see if it really is the problem before getting it done. It's tempting just to do it though....

Any news on your car apk?

Back