Should I Buy an Electric Car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdhauser

Leaf Supporting Member
Well, actually, I have one;). However, here is a link to an Excel Spreadsheet developed at the University of Minnesota Extension Office. It uses a lot of inputs and accounts for several variables to estimate the accumulated costs of ownership over a 15 year period.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/M1269.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably more work than the average buyer wants to go to, but we can say that with the reasonable default values in the model, electric cars are the least expensive. The point of the model, I think, is just as much to evaluate the result of changes to the default assumptions as finding the least expensive option. The types of vehicles included are: Conventional (ICE), Hybrid, Electric and Extended Range (Volt).

in a two car household an electric is a no brainer. what we really need is to re-evaluate what we pay for gas, taxes associated and make some hard decisions as to our long term transportation/financial needs.

right now, EVs sell due to subsidies despite being a GREAT idea. only a handful of people i have talked to would have purchased the Leaf without the sales tax waiver or fed tax credit. that needs to change.

what should happen is a step increase in the gas tax. use the money to fund alternative transportation options that are home grown. EVs, mass transit, electrified rails, etc. make driving a gas car a luxury. make it so if you want to buy gas made from foreign oil that you pay what it ACTUALLY costs including interest on the loan, military support, etc.

sales tax waiver? Not in NC.

Our state makes these generous allowances for our vehicles:
we can use the HOV lane (there are a couple near Charlotte)
we do not need an emissions inspection - just a safety inspection each year

we have had no other incentives/tax credits/rebates/what-have-you.

There is a grant given by the state to an non-profit called "Advanced Energy" for a pilot program of
40 Leafs to be given an extra $7500 credit beyond the federal one. This is in the "Triangle" area of NC
(where I live). People who already had a Leaf were not eligible because they have "special cars" that
have quick chargers and Nissan has arranged for the non-profit to get the drivers' data.

Alas, for the general public, there is no extra $2500 or $5000 or whatever y'all on the left coast
have received.

my sale tax waiver was essentially a $3000 credit from the state. we have no state income tax so our sales tax is high. we also are among the leaders for tax rates on gas, liquor and cigarettes. all of which i am proud to mention!@!

DaveinOlyWA said:
what we really need is to re-evaluate what we pay for gas,

Right now $2.89 but not sure how long will that last so I am still determined to go electric, and beside that I want a piece of advanced technology at affordable price. Numbers are important but to some extend.

e="EdmondLeaf"]
DaveinOlyWA said:
what we really need is to re-evaluate what we pay for gas,

Right now $2.89 but not sure how long will that last so I am still determined to go electric, and beside that I want a piece of advanced technology at affordable price. Numbers are important but to some extend.[/quote]
$2.89?? Wow I figured our taxes were higher and definitely higher than yours which I believe its one of the lowest. I pUT & 34 in the tank yesterday at $3.539

That has continued a steady decline from the $3.80s

DaveinOlyWA said:
$2.89?? Wow I figured our taxes were higher and definitely higher than yours which I believe its one of the lowest. I pUT & 34 in the tank yesterday at $3.539

Dave, if you like tornadoes and earthquakes (actually not that bad but scary, we still have aftershocks) come on in, but have to warn you is going to get cold (lowest temp on Mon 18F)

If it was just about low cost all vehicles would sell for less than $15,000.
Yet I believe most people spend far more.

I did not read the spreadsheet but there are plenty of advantages in an EV that are not monitary.

EdmondLeaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Dave, if you like tornadoes and earthquakes (actually not that bad but scary, we still have aftershocks) come on in, but have to warn you is going to get cold (lowest temp on Mon 18F)

PASS!. Its about 32° right now and that is plenty cold enough thank you

Back