should i lease for 24months or 36mo?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
acegreatone said:
is it a better deal to lease for 24months or 36 months. including the tax rebate.
you get the same tax rebate on either lease term so that isn't an issue what determines which is better is what incentives Nissan is giving to the dealers. Last month the 24 month lease was offered at a slightly lower cost than a 36 month deal. Odd but many people went with that term.

acegreatone said:
is it a better deal to lease for 24months or 36 months. including the tax rebate.
I assume you mean the Federal tax credit, not rebate. When you lease, the company that owns the car gets that credit, not you, but if you use Nissan financing (NMAC), they pass the credit on to you as if it were an additional down payment. California does have a rebate in addition to this, which is lost on a two-year lease, further complicating the calculation there, but that doesn't apply to you in New York.

But I have to disagree a bit with apvbguy here. The passed-on Federal credit does matter between a two-year lease and a three-year lease. The first question is, do you want to get a $7500 gift once every two years, or once every three years? The second question is, how long is Uncle Moneybags going to keep handing out those gifts? I think it is a safe assumption that once NMAC can no longer plan on getting the credit next year on their income tax they will stop giving it to you a year ahead of time.

I would say the chances of the law being changed or Nissan hitting their 200,000 vehicle limit before 2017 are quite slim. So NMAC will quite likely be passing on the credit through 2015. Depending on where you think EV sales, politics, and the issue of global warming are going in the 2016 presidential election, that could well change in 2017, meaning you might not get the credit pass-forward in 2016. So a two-year lease now, and another one in 2015 is a fairly safe $15K for you. A three-year lease now might be the last pass-forward you would get.

Ray

planet4ever said:
But I have to disagree a bit with apvbguy here. The passed-on Federal credit does matter between a two-year lease and a three-year lease. The first question is, do you want to get a $7500 gift once every two years, or once every three years?
are you saying that the $7500 tax credit can be taken multiple times on the same car? if so that is news to me

No, I believe he means that you can get another one each time you lease a new replacement car, be it two or three years...

apvbguy said:
are you saying that the $7500 tax credit can be taken multiple times on the same car? if so that is news to me

If it costs the same or less, 2 year lease is a no-brainer.
- You get a new car every 2 years !
- You will get a better car every time, as I expect EVs to rapidly evolve

The main question is for CA residents as to whether they can get the state rebate or not (or has the CA rebate money run out ?).

BTW, 7,500/3 = 2,500
and 7,500/2 = 3,750

So, that is the amount per year you are getting from federal tax credit. As you see the difference is about 1.25k, less than what CA gives as rebate that is available only for a 3 year lease.

evnow said:
If it costs the same or less, 2 year lease is a no-brainer.
- You get a new car every 2 years !
- You will get a better car every time, as I expect EVs to rapidly evolve

The main question is for CA residents as to whether they can get the state rebate or not (or has the CA rebate money run out ?).

BTW, 7,500/3 = 2,500
and 7,500/2 = 3,750

So, that is the amount per year you are getting from federal tax credit. As you see the difference is about 1.25k, less than what CA gives as rebate that is available only for a 3 year lease.

this is an offer i got from a dealer in pa (keep in mind i would have to pick it up and im coming from long island ny)
24 month/ 12,000miles per year
2,000$ down
324$ a month taxes included.

acegreatone said:
this is an offer i got from a dealer in pa (keep in mind i would have to pick it up and im coming from long island ny)
2,000$ down

you should be able to get it under $300 a month with zero or 1k down, keep on looking, since you are out to PA think DE and MD as well, for some unknown reason LI people never think of going south.

apvbguy said:
acegreatone said:
2,000$ down

you should be able to get it under $300 a month with zero or 1k down, keep on looking, since you are out to PA think DE and MD as well, for some unknown reason LI people never think of going south.
i dont know. before i know it, i will be in florida.... lol i might have to think about waiting a while.

acegreatone said:
apvbguy said:
acegreatone said:
2,000$ down

i dont know. before i know it, i will be in florida.... lol i might have to think about waiting a while.
Ok we split the difference now its
2013 leaf sl black on black no options
24month/12, 000
1, 000 down
312 a month taxes included.
What would you do? :?

acegreatone said:
24month/12, 000
1, 000 down
I got a quote of $193 w 1k down, 24/12k for an S with the charger package. Hard to resist at that price if its real.

dm33 said:
acegreatone said:
24month/12, 000
1, 000 down
I got a quote of $193 w 1k down, 24/12k for an S with the charger package. Hard to resist at that price if its real.
Yea that's a great deal for the s. Do you think you have any more room to get it lower?

can dealers transport cars to different dealerships out of state? the car i want is in pa and im trying to find routes from long island ny to pa with charging stations in between.

acegreatone said:
can dealers transport cars to different dealerships out of state? the car i want is in pa and im trying to find routes from long island ny to pa with charging stations in between.
you will need to truck the car, regardless of who handles the trucking you will be paying for it.
as for the 313 lease offer, make the dealer a final off of $295 a month all inclusive, I bet he takes it before he lets you walk

You guys are lucky... No 24 month leases in Canada.

I had to do 48 months to get the $8000 govt rebate. 3 yrs you only get 6k

I would do 24 if I could then get a new and improved in 2 yrs

apvbguy said:
acegreatone said:
you will need to truck the car, regardless of who handles the trucking you will be paying for it.
as for the 313 lease offer, make the dealer a final off of $295 a month all inclusive, I bet he takes it before he lets you walk
he let me walk

acegreatone said:
apvbguy said:
acegreatone said:
he let me walk
how long ago? see if he calls back this week, end of the month and all that

Latest posts

Back