Should I make it 38 miles one way round trip?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkendt1989

This will be my furthest drive in our 2013 Nissan Leaf! One way to a spot is 38 miles. I need to get there and back....

If I charge to 100% and drive in eco mode should I be able to make it? Its a 2013 Nissan Leaf S model. I'll try and keep the heat off along with using regenerative breaking as much as possible. I shouldn't be going over 55mph. The drive is slightly hilly but also flat.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

check this out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293, It depends a lot on how you drive, but yeah that seems doable to me.

You actually don't want to use regen breaking if possible, as you don't get back more than 100% of your energy output. You want to only give it enough gas/electrons to go as fast as you need, braking implies you gave it too much (or hit a red light / idiot driver).

Based off of those charts, in theory if I keep it below 50mph I should be able to make it no problem.

I routinely drive between Menlo Park and San Ramon, which is just a hair over 38 miles each way. Though the option exists, most times I do not charge at Bishop Ranch. I rarely drive under 50 or over 65.

What Tony said. give us a route. there are a TON of factors to consider.

lately (due to boredom) I have been tracking my energy usage per mile and found I am roughly 12% more efficient driving North than South despite a gain in altitude. but my "North" is actually due East as I-5 bends around the Southern End of Puget Sound so I have the prevailing wind at my back, so its all in the details.

besides unless you live in the boonies and traveling to the boonies, there might be someone on this board that has already done very nearly the same trip you are planning

jkendt1989 said:
Based off of those charts, in theory if I keep it below 50mph I should be able to make it no problem.
Yes, I'd also say that you should make it no problem, and even at speed-limit speeds. Also, there is a (free) quick charger available almost right on your way at Fremont Nissan, in case you have to drive fast &or with the heat on, etc. and there is any doubt. Of course, that charger is only available during their business hours.

Good luck -- you'll learn a lot about the vehicle's limits by taking trips just like this. Let go of "range anxiety" and make it your goal/challenge to roll into your driveway after receiving the Very Low Battery warning! ;-)

^^^
OP never stated their route. We don't even know if they're in California, at least not from their user info.

I wouldn't depend on a dealer's QC as it could be down, have a long line, be in use, and one could be denied.

OP, can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

I don't think driving in eco mode will contribute that much to range. Better to keep one's speed down and the heat off.

mbender said:
"My bad"... I read Pushpak's reply and just assumed that it was the OP's. Doh!
From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14423&p=327511#p327511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it looks like they're in PA (not Palo Alto ;)). But they should really update their profile...

mbender said:
I'd still say that a 2013 should make almost any 76 mile round trip starting at 100%, with even the most basic energy-conserving skills.
I've been driving LEAFs for two and half years and have been below LBW nearly 100 times; below VLBW more than a dozen times. But I wouldn't attempt a 76 mile round trip in my 2013 without knowing where to find a backup charging station. And I don't have the kind of weather jkendt1989 could encounter right now, assuming he is in Pennsylvania.

Ray

I drive from Union City to San Francisco every weekend - 70 miles round trip, with about 13-15 miles still left around. So i think you should be okay. On the freeway it is mostly 65 miles(with not much traffic on the weekend early morning).

I do not put any a/c or heater. Only the radio/satellite radio. Your mileage might vary :)

jkendt1989 said:
This will be my furthest drive in our 2013 Nissan Leaf! One way to a spot is 38 miles. I need to get there and back....

If I charge to 100% and drive in eco mode should I be able to make it? Its a 2013 Nissan Leaf S model. I'll try and keep the heat off along with using regenerative breaking as much as possible. I shouldn't be going over 55mph. The drive is slightly hilly but also flat.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

You can make this in my opinion. I made several trips of 80+ miles this year.

-Know where 24/7 L2 charging is available.

-Have a plan A, B and C Bring your L1 cord; plug that in at your destination if possible.
-Drive in ECO

-Do not vary from your you plan (extra trips, or going out of your way) unless you plan on charging to make up for it.

-Until you have a better feel for the car do not drive faster than 55 on longer trips.

Your 76 mile trip will be fine when the car is new and with NO heater. By the way, on 2011-2012 LEAFs, you can't turn off the heater without modifications.

The range should be in the 81-89 mile range for freeway driving at 65mph on level terrain, no headwind, 70F battery or warmer, no heater. As the car ages, expect to lose 15-20% capacity (about 68 miles of range) on your battery at the end of a 3 year / 36,000 mile lease in your climate (in hot climates like Phoenix, that capacity will likely be drastically lower).

If you run the heater, encounter a headwind, have a cold battery (about 10% additional reduction in capacity at freezing temperatures), any of the tires have low pressure, you have an Xmas tree strapped to the roof, etc., the range will be reduced yet further.

Of course, you can slow down to compensate for virtually all these issues, however you then become a safety concern on the freeway. If you're only doing this occasionally, you might have the moxie to make this work. If there is charging opportunities that you can count on, then obviously it is very doable, but if you're doing this daily and needing to stop enroute, it will get VERY old fast.

goaliepride said:
check this out http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293, It depends a lot on how you drive, but yeah that seems doable to me.

You actually don't want to use regen breaking if possible, as you don't get back more than 100% of your energy output. You want to only give it enough gas/electrons to go as fast as you need, braking implies you gave it too much (or hit a red light / idiot driver).

True. You ideally want your "bubble" on the dash to be neither to the left nor to the right. I did a similar drive from Westminster MD to Hershey, PA, and to protect my charge I decided to try not to have more than two bubbles to the right, meaning accelerating. The only exceptions are to safely keep up with traffic and to take hills, which you do as gently as possible. By keeping an eye on your bubbles, you will develop the very light touch on the pedal goaliepride refers to.

TonyWilliams said:
Your 76 mile trip will be fine when the car is new and with NO heater. By the way, on 2011-2012 LEAFs, you can't turn off the heater without modifications. ...
Of course you can. You just turn off climate control. The fan will turn off and so will the heater.

davewill said:
TonyWilliams said:
Your 76 mile trip will be fine when the car is new and with NO heater. By the way, on 2011-2012 LEAFs, you can't turn off the heater without modifications. ...
Of course you can. You just turn off climate control. The fan will turn off and so will the heater.

Yes,thanks for the clarification... The heater won't turn off with the fan on without modifications on 2011-2012.

rumpole said:
goaliepride said:

True. You ideally want your "bubble" on the dash to be neither to the left nor to the right. I did a similar drive from Westminster MD to Hershey, PA, and to protect my charge I decided to try not to have more than two bubbles to the right, meaning accelerating. The only exceptions are to safely keep up with traffic and to take hills, which you do as gently as possible. By keeping an eye on your bubbles, you will develop the very light touch on the pedal goaliepride refers to.

All true. For an easy check on efficient driving, I use the "two bubble" rule--never more than two white bubbles or more than two blue-green bubbles.

You actually don't want to use regen breaking if possible, as you don't get back more than 100% of your energy output. You want to only give it enough gas/electrons to go as fast as you need, braking implies you gave it too much (or hit a red light / idiot driver)

In the real world, you have to slow and stop the car, and regen is the best way to do it. I think a better way to put this is "Coast as much as traffic allows (don't make people hate EVs!) and use Regen when you have to slow down.

Back