Shouldn't The EV Project Be Tracking Our ICE Cars As Well?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaslessInSeattle

Seems that the EV project should be keeping close tabs on our ICE cars, not just our Leaf's to better understand when, where and why we opt to use them over EV. I would be happy to have a GPS locator installed in my ICE and log miles as part of the EV project. There is an opportunity in these early days to see how a lack of charging network effects our use of our LEAF's. I would think precious information could be deduced about what types of charging stations should be placed in given locations. What do you think?

GaslessInSeattle said:
Seems that the EV project should be keeping close tabs on our ICE cars, not just our Leaf's to better understand when, where and why we opt to use them over EV. I would be happy to have a GPS locator installed in my ICE and log miles as part of the EV project. There is an opportunity in these early days to see how a lack of charging network effects our use of our LEAF's. I would think precious information could be deduced about what types of charging stations should be placed in given locations. What do you think?

I could see that being useful, but there are a lot of variables that could make the info difficult to interpret - for instance I used my ICE last weekend to take some tools and lumber over to the mother-in-law's for a little project - then out to dinner after, could easily have done the trip in the LEAF less the tools and wood

GaslessInSeattle said:

first, they should get the Blinks to work right.
let's not confuse them with more tasks.
Mine has had a hardware problem of recording no useful data for almost three weeks.
It still charges, and that is the important thing.

it would be expensive, hard to interpret without significant user input meaning data should be entered in real time for options like

could have used Leaf but had to haul, or Leaf already taken, or too far.

Yeah, I can see there being challenges, but I would think they could be worked out. Without the information, the expense of putting in the wrong type of charging stations in the wrong places, multiplied across the country could be even more expensive than figuring out a way to more closely track even a subset of the EV project folks to help determine where the need for charging truly is.

Certainly, the reason for using one's ICE would need to be tracked. For us, sometimes it's used because we need a second car, sometimes it's because it is an SUV and holds more people, especially when family is in town, which seems to be nearly monthly. Other times it's for the hauling capacity of the vehicle and yet other times it's simply because it can go further and be refueled more quickly. Certainly it's not always a range issue, actually, it's rarely because of range.

maybe a study for layout of the initial charging infrastructure is needed although i expect that has already been done and at a cost much higher than i would have preferred to spend.

but i dont want a "pinpoint" charging network. i want charging to pepper the map like gas stations currently do now and if this study prevents one station from being installed then i am against it.

there has already been some planning and forethought put in for L3 charging but i would dread the thought that someone decided against L1 or L2 because there was already a station installed around the corner.

DaveinOlyWA said:
maybe a study for layout of the initial charging infrastructure is needed although i expect that has already been done and at a cost much higher than i would have preferred to spend.

but i dont want a "pinpoint" charging network. i want charging to pepper the map like gas stations currently do now and if this study prevents one station from being installed then i am against it.

there has already been some planning and forethought put in for L3 charging but i would dread the thought that someone decided against L1 or L2 because there was already a station installed around the corner.

I would agree with you on that, I guess the word precision is all relative. I would hope the studies are done/being done, then again, I thought that the EV project was supposed to be the main one gathering such information. I'm still a newb at this whole thing but the change in my thinking about what is needed for a charging network is changing so rapidly it makes me a little worried that a lot of money could get wasted on the wrong type and/or poorly placed charging stations. I just hope there are people out there doing the studies who are way ahead of us in their experience level of what is actually needed... it's rather counter intuitive, at least it has been for me. ... and it would seem to me that knowing when people are opting to use their ICE cars may help focus the efforts... I could be wrong.

the ultimate goal of the EV Highway Project i am hoping is to examine the rollout of both private and public charging and its effects on the grid.

i think we are first simply because we either have the highest demand (CA) or the most excess power on the grid (WA), best Solar (AZ) best mental environment for EVs (OR) and a plant (TN)

but then again, it could also be because we whined and cried the loudest!

First the EV Project needs to get reliable data from the residential Blinks (without data lost from crashes), and from the public charging stations. Next I think it could be useful for them to have the Carwings data, and I'd be happy for them to access mine.

Then I agree it would be helpful for them to know what we're doing with ICE cars. I think this information could be collected voluntarily through a web form that could also capture other pertinent information. I.e.

Code:
Date: ___
[] Drove an ICE car, because...
   [] insufficient charge in EV to make the trip
      [] I could have driven the EV if there were an L2 charger at ______
      [] I could have driven the EV if there were an L3 charger at ______
      [] I could not have driven the EV regardless of charging locations
   [] other reason
[] Failed to charge at public location _______ because (check all that apply)...
   [] charging stations all occupied
   [] one or more charging stations occupied by ICE car
   [] one or more charging stations not working
[] Charged at home during peak time because...
   [] Needed extra range
   [] Timed charging not reliable enough to trust
   [] Not on a TOU rate

DaveinOlyWA said:
the ultimate goal of the EV Highway Project i am hoping is to examine the rollout of both private and public charging and its effects on the grid.
i think we are first simply because we either have the highest demand (CA) or the most excess power on the grid (WA), best Solar (AZ) best mental environment for EVs (OR) and a plant (TN)
but then again, it could also be because we whined and cried the loudest!

Actual reason had to do with state and local governments being willing to accommodate. Help with infrastructure and streamline the permitting process.

GaslessInSeattle said:

http://fueleconomy.gov/ does a pretty good job of tracking ICE cars. I was also able to enter my 'calculated' MPG-e for the LEAF. Maybe the EVProject should team up with the DOE.

Back