Siemens Versicharge - my first impressions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttime4four

After reading the forums, watching YouTube videos and considering several options, I chose the Siemens VC30BLKR Versicharge 30-Amp Rear Fed EVSE and purchased it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30B...8&qid=1382591907&sr=8-1&keywords=seimens+evse

The price after using a Amazon Visa promotion was $749 to my door and I expect my net cost to come down to $309 (after Federal and State credits). In considering cost, I was weary that the Gov't would deny credits on the EVSE Upgrade and the ClipperCreek LCS-25P units as they may be considered "portable". I also liked that the Versicharge had 7.2kW output to take advantage of my Leaf's 6.6kW onboard charger.

The other consideration was that I already had a 240V/50A receptacle on the wall in my garage (previous owner did some welding). This had the required NEMA 6-50 outlet which is what the Versicharge required. I tested the outlet with a multimeter before making the purchase to make sure the line was good -- and -- score. No need for an electrician. The other options would have required switching out the wall outlet AND circuit breaker OR getting adapter dogbones. So for a grand total of just over $300 for the Siemens, I was going to have a quick charger at home AND I still have the supplied EVSE in the trunk. I was leaving the trickle charger at home anyway ('cause I'm lazy to pack it up every morning).

I reviewed the online installation manual before it arrived and was ready to go. After two days, my new home EVSE arrived and I was literally able to get it installed in less than 20 mins. I even took my time, used the level on the bracket, pre-drilled holes, etc. It was that easy.

The spot where the outlet was just about optimal -- about 6 feet from the garage door entrance (so that I could leave the car out and still reach) and the J-Plug still reaches the front of the car when the car is in the garage.

When I plugged the unit into the car, the sequence of noises and lights was just as expected and I was pleased to have quick charging at the house. Later that evening, I was asked to run an errand about an 80 mins after I plugged it in for the first time. When I got in the car, the battery gauge showed 100% (dash charge indicator lights were still on though) so I think it was just about finished. I thought this was awesome since it started at 58% when I plugged it in. Eighty mins to add 41% -- cool!

Some have complained that the wall bracket is plastic and flimsy. I realized though, the bracket really needed to flex a little to get the top and bottom pieces to mate together. A metal bracket would have made the installation more difficult. The last step was to drive two drywall screws into holes at the top and bottom of the unit. This really snugged the unit up against the wall for a solid mount. The ONLY negative (and it's a micro nit) -- the directions said to use two drywall screws as I described. The bag of hardware only had one.

I went for about 3 weeks giving the tricker charger only routine a try, but a couple of days I would get home after 8p with <25% left and realized I couldn't get back to 100% by 7a with just the trickle. This limitation could turn out to be a problem as it is getting colder and I expect to be using more range as winter approaches.

ttime4four said:
I was weary that the Gov't would deny credits on the EVSE Upgrade and the ClipperCreek LCS-25P units as they may be considered "portable".

I'm just curious why the "portable" property would not allow the LCS-25P to qualify for the tax credit. Is there specific language in the tax code about that?

-Karl

ttime4four said:
The other consideration was that I already had a 240V/50A receptacle on the wall in my garage (previous owner did some welding). This had the required NEMA 6-50 outlet which is what the Versicharge required. I tested the outlet with a multimeter before making the purchase to make sure the line was good -- and -- score. No need for an electrician.
Did you verify that the 6-50 receptacle is on a 40 amp breaker as required for a 30 amp EVSE? If it is on a 50 amp breaker, it should be changed to 40 amps.

Cheers, Wayne

Back