SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My own trip from Laguna Hills to Cerritos is 35 miles each way,
and I have always made it no problem, starting with 100% charging.

However, I do try to keep my speed down a bit on the way there (low
60's), but I often go a bit faster on the way home (back to the barn
and the feed trough).

If somebody cannot make it to either location, let me kow and we will try
to set up some form of LEAF-frogging to get you there. :D

KeiJidosha said:
The Electric Vehicle Association of Southern California (EVAoSC) meets 10am - noon on the third Saturday of each month at the Southern California Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) facility in Diamond Bar, CA.

Our August 20th meeting will have Wally Rippel as the keynote speaker. An expert in EV propulsion research and development..
I counted almost 50 people at this meeting, including at least 6 who have attended one or more of our OC Breakfast Club meetings. Unfortunately Wally couldn't make it. Paul, who sells Leafs at Santa Monica Nissan, was the moderator.

The most interesting topic for me was the announcement that Sunday, Oct 16, is National Plug-in Day. Paul is planning quite an event for Santa Monica. He wants to have an all-EV parade to show folks how quiet and emission-free an EV future could be. He wants all available EVs, including as many Leafs as possible to show up. He hopes to get a couple of big-name celebrities to attend. He has KTLA on-board.

I am planning to attend. It is 50 miles one-way, and it sounds like counting on getting charged in Santa Monica on that day will be risky. My current plan is to get some charge at Downtown Nissan on the way there, and stop off at Pasadena City College for a longer charge on the way home. Does anyone have better charging suggestions, ones that are near decent food ? Kataphn, how is the charging environment at Downtown Nissan ?

A smaller Plug-in Day activity is planned for OC.

tbleakne said:
KeiJidosha said:
The most interesting topic for me was the announcement that Sunday, Oct 16, is National Plug-in Day. Paul is planning quite an event for Santa Monica. He wants to have an all-EV parade to show folks how quiet and emission-free an EV future could be. He wants all available EVs, including as many Leafs as possible to show up. He hopes to get a couple of big-name celebrities to attend. He has KTLA on-board.

A smaller Plug-in Day activity is planned for OC.
Similar sort of thing happening up North--major event will be in San Francisco but there may also be satellite events in San Jose. We talked about a parade of LEAFs down Lombard St. Would be good to find places with very public charging stations.

Tom downtown nissan has good availability of 2 stations in their front park lot. Also stations at calif science center though $10 to park. I plan to go to parade. Anyone who wants to use our L1 or L2 before or after is welcome. Tom u get first dibs. Why not come before then u will be all set. We are 1/2 way between santa monica and downtown just south of 10 fwy. Pm me to arrange. Anyone know parade start time? Also those near by on plugshare may be willing to help or others on this forum?

I expect to have the first upgrade of the SOC-Meter firmware
at our Gathering this coming Saturday at HTB in Santa Ana.

Ver F1.08 should show some Battery Pack values:
Probably Amps and Volts, and maybe Power (kW).

I will be prepared to have a Firmware-Upgrade workshop.

I'm in!

Tom

KeiJidosha said:
The most interesting topic for me was the announcement that Sunday, Oct 16, is National Plug-in Day. Paul is planning quite an event for Santa Monica. He wants to have an all-EV parade to show folks how quiet and emission-free an EV future could be. He wants all available EVs, including as many Leafs as possible to show up.

garygid said:
SOC-Meter Firmware Update F1.08 seems to check out OK.
So, I will be prepared to do "flashing" on Saturday.

I may show up on Saturday, IF I need something interesting for the video diary for that one consumer research panel. Otherwise....probably not. And even if I do, I'm not sure if I'm going to take my unit apart so it can be re-flashed...I'm happy enough to have it keep doing what it is right now. :)

To flash the SOC-Meter, just remove the lid (4 screws) ...
and that's all the "disassembly" needed.
No extractions or disconnections needed.

I try to avoid moving the AVR-CAN card, but it usually moves a little.

I couldn't find it posted elsewhere, what time is the meeting starting on Saturday? We might be heading down to Orange on Saturday and if so will try to swing by.

Devin said:
I couldn't find it posted elsewhere, what time is the meeting starting on Saturday? We might be heading down to Orange on Saturday and if so will try to swing by.
See the first post on this thread. Gary updates it for each meeting. Hope to see you there.

Oops, just checked it and the time isn't there! I think some arrive at 8am. I usually get there at 8:30am.

91040 said:
Devin said:
See the first post on this thread. Gary updates it for each meeting. Hope to see you there.
I checked that but it doesn't have the time, just the date.

Boomer23 said:
That's great, Gary. I'll bring my (unassembled) kit for you to flash. Thanks!
Glad to see you have a kit. It would be great if you could bring one of your latest SCE TOU statements to compare with mine. Aug was the first time I hit Level 2 (just barely). I want to compare the various rates, and see where you are getting all that huge credit. Thanks.

On Monday my new, very modest add-on solar went on-line. 1.4 KW DC added to my present 3.2 KW. Note the nice color match with my car. The new panels have southern exposure, so they will perform proportionately better than the originals. Just in time for my high A/C season.

IMG9422-L.jpg

Because of this installation's small size, I went with the new 3rd generation micro-inverters from Enphase. They have better MPP tracking and other improvements. DC goes in on the left, and 240V AC comes out on the right. A nice gateway inside displays output.

IMG9400-M.jpg

tbleakne said:
Glad to see you have a kit. It would be great if you could bring one of your latest SCE TOU statements to compare with mine. Aug was the first time I hit Level 2 (just barely). I want to compare the various rates, and see where you are getting all that huge credit. Thanks.

On Monday my new, very modest add-on solar went on-line. 1.4 KW DC added to my present 3.2 KW. Note the nice color match with my car. The new panels have southern exposure, so they will perform proportionately better than the originals. Just in time for my high A/C season.

I'll bring a printout of my most recent bill, Tom. With your beautiful new panels, you'll have close to as much PV as I have. Congratulations, a very nice looking home, car and PV installation!

Reminder:
LEAF-Gathering tomorrow (Saturday) at HTB on 17th St. in Santa Ana at about 8:30, to 11.

I should be there about 8, and will be prepared to flash new Firmware into SOC-Meters.

Back