SoCal Branch LEAF-Gathering Year 2 - #24c: 25 Aug 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
I'm currently in Naples, Italy,,where all the cars are diesel. The pollution from these modern "clean" diesels is bad. I'm tired of breathing it, and really like what California has done for pollution. Looking over the bay with the sun setting reminds me of LA in 1984 with a lingering layer of smog.

Good point, Tony. I have never considered diesel a viable alternative, so I haven't kept up with the emissions compared with other SULEV cars. I do recall that particulates have always been a problem for diesel emissions.

A belated Thank You to Mr. Gary for performing on-site, outpatient, diode-replacement surgery on my SOC meter at our last Leaf-Gathering. My meter was given a new lease on life and has been humming along since. :D

Also, thanks to Scott L. for letting me take a spin around the block(s) with his BMW ActiveE. In my quick drive, I was impressed with the sporty ride, tight steering and pick-up. The heavier regen was surprisingly easy to get used to. From moderate speeds, it can take you almost to a full stop without stepping on the brakes. This made it a joy to slow into and accelerate out of turns. I imagine this would be a joy to drive in the twisties. I also missed the luxury interior feel. It was enough to get me drooling again.

Though, for a family with other than a couple of infants, you may need a couple of dwarfy children for them to fit in the back seats without having to hold their knees to their chests.

I'm willing to bet that VERY few of those diesels are actually of the modern clean variety... I was in Italy last year and most of the ones I saw running around were crude and dirty by current U.S. standards... I still think that a clean diesel hybrid would be the ultimate in ICE hybrids and in talking to the folks at EVS yesterday, it appears we'll have at least a couple to choose from next year from VW and others...

TonyWilliams said:
I'm currently in Naples, Italy,,where all the cars are diesel. The pollution from these modern "clean" diesels is bad.

garygid said:
Reminder: Save this coming Saturday AM for our next
Gathering, at HTB in Cerritos.

For newcomers, an after-Gathering tour of the
Mitsubishi QC in Cypress is possible.

Gary,

What is the start time for your gathering?

I may try to make this one. I'd definitely need the QC to make it home... What is the actual address?
garygid said:

linkim said:
garygid said:

Gary,

What is the start time for your gathering?

I'll comment since I'm here and Gary hasn't yet. A few of us get there by 8 am, most by 8:30.

I try for 8:01 AM, and usually try to stay until at least 11:02 AM.

For you, a special deal: anytime between roughly 8 to 11.

Those that NEED the QC usually go there before the meeting,
to have a chance to QC after (or use L2) if the QC is occupied.
Note: the QC cable reaches at least two parking spots, and
"over-the-curb" is possible if the normal spaces are blocked.

Often somebody wants to see the QC, so a few go there after.

There is L2 charging at Cerritos Nissan, about a mile from HTB.
If you need a LEAF-Hopper to get to HTB, please let us know.

garygid said:
I try for 8:01 AM, and usually try to stay until at least 11:02 AM.

Thanks for the precise times. I will try and get to HTB by 8:02AM if I don't get lost.

Look forward to the interesting discussion and meeting some of you Southern CA LEAFers.
Should I also be looking forward to the taters?

Lots of food to choose from.

Arrive hungey, leave full. :) :D

You will not need lunch, and
possibly not dinner either. :eek:

LFTSYT (Looking Forward To Seeing You There)
Go Safely, Arrive anytime.
Cheers, Gary

I plan to make Cerritos tomorrow as well, but probably later than 8:02am because I am attending a JPL lecture at PCC tonight on "The Quest for Other Worlds Like Earth." I wonder how many of these worlds have convenient QC ? :) .

I will bring my bag of stuff from EVS26, including a blurb on a 11 kW 240V Single-Phase portable CHAdemo charger. When I was at the booth their English was too poor for me to realize they had these specs. IES-Synergy (French).

I had a great time meeting the SoCal LEAF group. Thanks to garygid for welcoming me to the gthering and also taking me to the QC at Mitsubishi. I had an opportunity to try the QC with gary's LEAF. Also thanks to tonywilliams for the LEAF shirt and Boomer23 for the raffle prize.

Got stuffed at HTB, but was scolded for trying to take pic of the taters, must be proprietary.

See some photos at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151688946070136.841208.754200135&type=1&l=ea85725e91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks everyone!

Kim

linkim said:
Got stuffed at HTB, but ws scolded for trying to take pic of the taters, must be proprietary.

Thanks everyone!
Thanks - I'll never go to another Leaf gathering without thinking about HTB's Proprie-Taters.... :lol:

Glad that linkim was able to visit with you and have a fun time. He may be the last of the BayLEAFs to see you for a while, but we'll hopefully send some others down your way soon.

Since the 3 DCQC's have been operational here in the Bay Area, they have seen very heavy use. I used the one at the VW Research Lab in Belmont twice on Friday--going up to, and coming home from, San Francisco. The funny thing was that, not 30 seconds after I pulled in the 2nd time (about 9:45 PM), another BayLEAF drove up and had to wait for me to finish. Luckily, he and his wife were good spirited about it. They are fast!

Back