SoCal Branch Year 4 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 5

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Is 9 Aug your most EVs meet-up day?
Sorry, l have already forgotten.
Please post the details here, or a link to them.
Thanks, Gary

August 9, 2014
9am - 12 noon

Courtyard by Marriott
Irvine Spectrum
7955 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, CA

There will be an EventBrite sign up that will be setup in the coming month.

How about 16 and 30 Aug for Gatherings in Cerritos and Santa Ana,
with Gatherings on the 13th and 27th of September, leaving the 9th for
the big event at the Irvine Spectrum?

Like this:

------ 49th month Gatherings ------ (starts our 5th year of Gatherings)
Gathering #49a: 13 Sep 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast. 
Gathering #49b: 27 Sep 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

------ 48th month Gatherings ------ (ends our 4th year of Gatherings)
Gathering #48a: 9 Aug 2014 Tony Williams Big EVent at Irvine Spectrum.
Gathering #48b: 16 Aug 2014 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast. 
Gathering #48c: 30 Aug 2014 at the HTB on 17th St in Santa Ana.

As info for our newer participants, and a reminder for all...

Our Orange County Gatherings at HTB generally start at 8 AM, when
the Hometown Buffet opens, not 8:30, although some folks just drift
in later whenever they can get there - no problem.

Both of our HTB locations have been carefully selected for
consistant good quality, a good variety of food to suit almost
everybody, friendly staff and management, meeting rooms if
we need them (often booked by other larger groups),
plenty of paved parking, and inexpensive breakfast prices.

Cerritos Nissan has a QC (now NRG eVgo) and 3 free J1772s
just a mile away from HTB, and a free QC 8 miles away.

There are a growing number of QCs in the general vicinity of the HTB
in Santa Ana, although I do not know of any free QCs nearby.
Perhaps the Mitsubishi QC (to the West) is the closest free QC.

Cheers, Gary

Title fixed, now says Cerritos for June 14.

Thanks to those who help with my various senility problems. :)

My "invasive" procedure went very well yesterday at Kaiser, and I requested
no amnesiac and minimal pain killer, so I was wide awake and able to
view the whole looonnng procedure on a high resolution color flat screen
monitor nearby. :eek: Facinating, indeed.

Quite glad I chose to watch and remember.
Nothing unexpected found.

Just as the doughnut hole is both internal and external to the doughnut,
the humoid alimentary canal is both internal and external to the body,
just a substantially elongated hole.

Do you know where the Pearlfish sleeps?

QCs closest to Santa Ana:
eVgo stations-
Larwin Square 654 E 1st St Tustin, CA, 92780 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Outlets at Orange 20 City Boulevard West Orange, CA 92868 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tustin Nissan 30 Auto Center Dr, Tustin, CA 92782 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
?Network:
Stadium Nissan 1140 W Katella Ave, Orange, CA, 92867 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~8-10miles from Santa Ana:
Mitsubishi 6400 Katella Ave, Cypress, CA 90630 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/3151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CSU Fullerton 800 N State College Blvd. Fullerton CA 92831 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Connell Nissan 2850 Harbor Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/1427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May be free:
Schneider 1660 Scenic Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/42957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't be a CCP (CHAdeMo Chauvinist Pig) some may need CCSs but I will leave that to them that have it.

garygid said:
As info for our newer participants, and a reminder for all...

There are a growing number of QCs in the general vicinity of the HTB
in Santa Ana, although I do not know of any free QCs nearby.
Perhaps the Mitsubishi QC (to the West) is the closest free QC.

Cheers, Gary

Repost for those who don't follow much on the forum:

I did a drive yesterday afternoon from Pasadena to south Orange County to see family. Usually I would get down to the Spectrum at low battery warning or even better (and going 65 or higher). But yesterday... in heavy traffic (mostly stop and go with a few bursts to 60 mph) I got there in about two hours just over VLBW! :evil:

I'm not sure what has changed. I'm down to 53.8 Ah and 66% Hx, sure, but even my last run down there I wasn't that much better battery wise. I haven't crunched the numbers but the seat of the pants feeling is that I'm down significantly more capacity just over the last few months. Part of that is probably the wheels and tires. Part of it might be I'm hitting a "psychological" threshold. Whatever it is man... it's really starting to suck.

I'm considering getting an old Honda Insight or Prius or something for longer trips. :|

JeremyW said:
I'm considering getting an old Honda Insight or Prius or something for longer trips. :|
Ummm...
3f35fe94a6078bcbef5a24af97f6c9cf.jpg

Thanks buddy.

Looking more at the Honda Insight first gen now. Prii are harder to get/hold their value more. This will basically be used for two things: seeing family down south and seeing my girl up in Sacramento (until I get a job at hq). I simply need a better tool for the job than the leaf for those two things right now. I was flying a lot for work but that's mostly stopped now and I've burned through most of my accrued miles.

1st Insights go for SUPER dirt cheap prices.. I've always wanted to pick one up to hack on... dat aluminum body :cool:

Tons of mods avail and they can be made all electric as well.. 150+mpg is easily attainable on gas! :mrgreen:

Last week at Santa Ana HTB was great, but I will have to miss June 14 at Cerritos. Flying to DFW Thursday, return Saturday, for family wedding.

If Tesla would finally deliver on their promise of their QC Adaptor, and eVgo delivers on many CHAdeMO sites now listed as "coming soon" I might consider getting an eVgo card.

JasonA said:
150+mpg is easily attainable on gas! :mrgreen:

Hmmm not on just gas alone. You'd have to do some sort of PHEV upgrade for that. Hypermiling to 70-100 MPG is possible though. For my usage I'll see probably 50-60 MPG depending if I get a stick or CVT. It is exciting though, to be able to drive far distances again if I need to.

See you this coming Saturday in Cerritos at the Hometown
Buffet on South Street, just 2 blocks East of the 605 freeway.

I try to arrive shortly after they open (which is at 8 AM).

Sorry to 'threadcrap' and go off topic, I was planning on making it to this meet to get first hand experiences of Nissan Leaf Owners and their feedback on prices but realized last minute that it was Father's Day!

Anyhow, if anyone has experience during the 'hotter days' 90F+, with full AC, what was your range on the freeway & city? Also, if anyone has recommendations for a price, I've gotten $0 down, $240/mo, 12k miles S w/ QC, I'd appreciate any tips. I hope to be joining the team soon!

The affect of AC on a 2011/2012 is negligible and I rarely give it much thought. On a 2013+ SL/SV it is about 25% less efficient due to the heat pump but still not bad.

DisturbedAle said:
Anyhow, if anyone has experience during the 'hotter days' 90F+, with full AC, what was your range on the freeway & city?

Technically, l think that Saturday is Flag Day, and Sunday is Father's Day.
But, it will be Father's Day Weekend.

One of the main reasons that we have 2 Gatherings each month
is so that most folks can usually attend at least one of them,
even when they have real-life schedules.

Back