Some questions about maintenance/warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
I have gotten quotes from $89 all the way to $300, and the $89 was originally around $200 but I insisted that the brake fluid didn't need a flush after just 1 year of use. I only paid $20 for the 6 month one and that was just a tire rotation, plus I had the free software update done. I felt the suggested inspections for the "Severe Service" schedule weren't necessary.
So, $20 for the tire rotation. And with brake fluid and cabin filter change excluded, what could they have claimed the other $69 was for. A car wash? The manual says you are entitled to a free multi-point inspection every time you visit a dealer. Now, the manual doesn't promise that it will cover all the inspection items listed in the annual check, but some dealers certainly seem to be treating it that way.

Ray

donald said:
There is a compound set of gears in the Leaf, so 'more opportunities' for wear-and-tear than just a single gear pair. I would like to get my reduction box oil changed after 1yr/10k, but not really for wear and tear, rather because by then any manufacturing burrs or minor cleanliness issues will have flushed into the oil, if there were any. Then, oil changes every 6-8 years, or so, simply due to the physical age of the oil should do.
I guess one intermediate shaft does qualify it as a compound set, but two gear pairs rather than one isn't all that much. Any manufacturing burs would get picked up by the magnet in the plug, and wiped off during an inspection. An inspection would also expose any cleanliness issue. So, yes, inspect annually, but no need to change "just in case".

Ray

planet4ever said:
RonDawg said:
I have gotten quotes from $89 all the way to $300, and the $89 was originally around $200 but I insisted that the brake fluid didn't need a flush after just 1 year of use. I only paid $20 for the 6 month one and that was just a tire rotation, plus I had the free software update done. I felt the suggested inspections for the "Severe Service" schedule weren't necessary.
So, $20 for the tire rotation. And with brake fluid and cabin filter change excluded, what could they have claimed the other $69 was for. A car wash? The manual says you are entitled to a free multi-point inspection every time you visit a dealer. Now, the manual doesn't promise that it will cover all the inspection items listed in the annual check, but some dealers certainly seem to be treating it that way.

Were you able to convince your local dealer to give you the annual service check for free that way? And if not, what did you pay?

planet4ever said:
Any manufacturing burs would get picked up by the magnet in the plug, and wiped off during an inspection.
Oh, I would agree with that - an inspection would be sufficient for that purpose. But most gearboxes require top-up/refilling after such inspections. Seems easier just to say 'change the oil' and there are no subjective assessments required by mechanics, then. Just easier to ask for an oil change, really!

I had a [2nd hand] car with a Getrag gearbox replaced ~15k miles before I bought it. One of these 'sealed for life' with no drain hole on it. I called the shop that did the work and I asked why it needed replacing (in this case, with a brand new gearbox). 'Oh, these boxes simply fall apart every so often'. Gee! Really? I sucked the oil out with an oil extractor (for marine engines, that also don't have sump plugs!) and it was absolutely filthy. This, from a gearbox new only 15k miles ago. I have a similar anecdote with a Quaife box. I dunno where the crap comes from, but I now aim to change gearbox oil as a matter of routine, after a bedding-in period on boxes. I can't recommend doing so highly enough.

RonDawg said:
planet4ever said:
... The manual says you are entitled to a free multi-point inspection every time you visit a dealer. ...

Were you able to convince your local dealer to give you the annual service check for free that way? And if not, what did you pay?
My service dealer (not the dealer I purchased the LEAF from) did a free multi-point inspection at the same time they did my two annual HV battery tests.

They also always test the 12V battery capacity, although that is NOT part of the standard Nissan multi-point inspection, and not all dealers do that. But Mountain View Nissan has learned that it is the right thing to do for the customer, and as we have seen in the LEAF, the LEAF does not do a good job of maintaining the 12V battery. The dealer replaced my 12V battery under the 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty at no cost to me when they discovered its capacity was badly degraded at the two year inspection.

Warranty work performed by the dealer at no cost to the customer is reimbursed by Nissan, if it is done within the Nissan warranty requirements. My dealer let me schedule my first annual HV battery inspection two days prior to my one year in service date. Seemed like that was about right for one year to me, and probably seemed that way to the dealer. But Nissan's policy on the one year HV battery inspection is that they will only reimburse the dealer AFTER one year of service. So they were not reimbursed by Nissan for that one, and had to eat the cost of doing it. Still did it at no cost to me. Mountain View Nissan in Chattanooga has a superb service department.

Interesting... I was under the impression that the battery check window was plus or minus three months of the due date...

TimLee said:
My dealer let me schedule my first annual HV battery inspection two days prior to my one year in service date. Seemed like that was about right for one year to me, and probably seemed that way to the dealer. But Nissan's policy on the one year HV battery inspection is that they will only reimburse the dealer AFTER one year of service. So they were not reimbursed by Nissan for that one, and had to eat the cost of doing it.

TimLee said:
RonDawg said:
planet4ever said:
... The manual says you are entitled to a free multi-point inspection every time you visit a dealer. ...

My service dealer (not the dealer I purchased the LEAF from) did a free multi-point inspection at the same time they did my two annual HV battery tests.

So it's sounding like for the one year mark, I should just have them do the free/mandatory battery inspection, pay $20 for a tire rotation, and ask them to do the "free multi-point inspection?"

^ I'd also skip the tire rotation as some tire shops will do it for free. If you have America's Tire in your area check with them.

The dealer may be reluctant to do the "free" check if I don't spend at least a bit of money somewhere. Plus then I'd have to spend more time going to a separate tire store for that, or doing it myself. I'd rather just spend the $20 and be done with it.

^ The dealer just bills Nissan for the battery check so it is free to you but they still get paid, so there's no need to feel obliged to spend any of your money there. As for convenience, sure.

I was counting on my service cost would be lower for the Leaf than a ICE. A few months ago I took my Honda in for a 30k service and it cost 184. But Premier Nissan of San Jose cost of 30k service with nothing else was 189.

It cost me $149 for general service inspection, plus changing the brake fluid and cabin filter for the second year service (33,000 miles...I was a little late). Maybe the brake fluid didn't need it, but who wants to find out the hard way? Besides, I didn't want to hear any complaints about neglected service when I turn the car in. Since they removed the wheels to inspect the brakes (wear just noticeable), it turns out they would have rotated the tires at no additional cost, but the tire shop had already done it.

For my car's first anniversary, I ended up doing just the mandatory battery check (5 stars...woohoo!) and paid $20 for the tire rotation at Glendale Nissan. No pressure at all from the service writer to try to do more than that, though he did suggest a brake fluid flush at the 15k mark (my car has barely 10k on it).

I met another Leafer who was getting hers serviced as well, and we chatted for a short while until the shuttle was available to take her to the train station.

quote]I've been curious about something. Since you can go to any Nissan dealer for warranty service, it doesn't make sense that the cost of that would come out of the dealership. So who does pay for the time and parts? My suspicion is that the dealers bill Nissan NA, but does anyone know if that is true?

Ray[/quote]

Yes Ray, the manufacturer pays the dealers for parts and labor costs incurred when performing a repair under warranty.

Back