Speculations on the 2012 model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milanski

Hi all,
Although I'm a reservation holder, I'm in the less-than-lucky state of Colorado, USA. So my order is likely to be a 2012 model. But maybe there is a plus side. Some have speculated that the 2012 model will be compatible with the Level 3 chargers (providing the standard gets worked out by then).

What other things do you think Nissan might change for the second model year (2012)? What do you think Nissan should have put in the 2011 model but left out? Speculations and wishes encouraged (this could get lively!)

Since they need to tool up Smyrna, I don't expect the 2012 to change much. They haven't had time to digest how the current model is doing. Small stuff, design changes, and MAYBE a better charger (6.6kw).

I wasn't going to type this... but.. oh well.

Depending on how politics go, it is possible the switch to turn off the VSP will be removed in the 2012 model.

Dav said:
Since they need to tool up Smyrna, I don't expect the 2012 to change much. They haven't had time to digest how the current model is doing. Small stuff, design changes, and MAYBE a better charger (6.6kw).

I'm guessing we won't see the 6.6kw charger until 2013 at the earliest and to be frank, it won't make much of a difference to most of us. The Lvl 3 charger inclusion might become standard though and that would be very cool.

Oh and one other thing.. to bring back a dead horse. Please Nissan - bring HD Radio to your car line.

During the road trips and reviews so far, haven't there already been concerns about some minor things that could be easily changed? For example, other interior colors, improve quality of the interior trim, too heavy? Other things that the Volt is expected to have, that the Leaf must counter? Seems like the 8yr, 100k warranty would be one example of a change they've already had to make in response.

Thoughts?

I have worked with (not for) Nissan for about 15 years. From first year production to second year production expect to see negligible changes. LEAF 2.0 will likely not be for three years or more - more typically five. Usually around the three year point you will see a "minor refresh". That is when we may see the onboard charger go to 6.6. Smyrna won't come online until late 2012. This means essentially 2013 production. You may see the 6.6 charger then but that is pure speculation.

From what I have learned of EVs, interior color is more important than exterior color in managing interior temperature. Expect to see only this interior initially, and maybe a light beige at some point.

The most significant factor of the weight is the battery pack. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Battery technology continually improves. It seems plausible enough that certain improvements could easily be worked into the production line, meaning greater range, lighter weight, etc, at any time. Especially if those improvements are ready before the US plant starts pumping out batteries.

Hello,
I'm confused, the current AV and Ecotality charge docks are for L2 or 6.6 kW charging drawing 32 amps @ 230 volts (32A * 230 = 7.36 kW & 90% efficiency of that is 6.6 kW). The actual charger is built into the Leaf and the dock just switches on and off the power. So it seems to me it already has a 6.6 kW charger or are you referring to a FREE charge dock?

Don

Hi Don,
You are correct in that the ECOtality EVSE will have the capability of delivering enough AC to the car to support a 6.6kW charger. But actually, the charger is in the car itself, and the EVSE device on the wall provides a safe way to deliver the house AC to the car.

It's actually the Leaf itself that has the built-in charger and the battery management smarts, and unfortunately, the Leafs that will be delivered will only be able to support L2 charging at the 3.3kW level. So that will be the limiting factor, and the garage EVSE will not be drawing 30 amps with that charger in the car. The good news, though, is that the ECOtality Blink EVSE will be able to deliver more AC when/if the car can accept it or for a future EV purchase with a larger built-in charger.

Right.
An L1 or L2 EVSE "tells" the car how much current is (or should be) available out of "the wall".

The charger in the car decides how much current to draw, and when to draw it (when to charge), depending upon what stage of charging it is going on.
Also, the car's charger should respect the "max-current" limit communicated to the car from the EVSE (via the Control Pilot signal).

Typically the AV (or Blink) EVSE, installed on a 240v, 40-amp breaker will "offer" the car 30 (or 32) amps.

However, the LEAF's built-in charger is not very powerful, and is designed to actually "draw" (use) less, only a maximum of 16 (or 15) amps.

Back