SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
z0ner said:
garygid said:
8-foot L6-20P to 12/3 wire end, 20A, $13:
http://www.stayonline.com/nema-20-amp-locking-plug-208v.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reeler, Gary is a regular Nostadamus. That is the exact pigtail I bought for this. Make sure that you get the ROJ connector, of course.
Or you could get a short L6-20P to L6-20R extension cord, cut it somewhere in the middle, and have not only the plug pigtail for the EVSE, but a socket pigtail for making an adapter...

:p SPX finally found the tracking number for my EVSE... Now it happens that it was delivered days ago at the management office and it was there today.

I still wish I had received more information to retrieve it on time.

amtoro said:
:p SPX finally found the tracking number for my EVSE... Now it happens that it was delivered days ago at the management office and it was there today.

I still wish I had received more information to retrieve it on time.

This is great news! I need to know what you think of the unit. I'm not sure if I want the
SPX or the GE WattStation. Would love to hear from some of you that have used both.

My main reason to choose SPX is that it has a plug, therefore I could take it to the camp ground and use it with an adapter. ;) It is less expensive than the Leviton 160 by about $350 if you count Leviton's mounting plate.

GE's looks very sharp, I like it and it could be fitted with a plug, but it seems a bit too bulky to pack and carry.

amtoro said:
My main reason to choose SPX is that it has a plug, therefore I could take it to the camp ground and use it with an adapter. ;) It is less expensive than the Leviton 160 by about $350 if you count Leviton's mounting plate.

GE's looks very sharp, I like it and it could be fitted with a plug, but it seems a bit too bulky to pack and carry.

Also don't forget the SPX can be set to go up to 32Amps, where the Leviton 160 is limited to 16Amps, so you get more for less $.

SPX Power Express installed!

I was a bit surprised in regards to the attention to details on this unit and its packing. A very compact box without any styrofoam inside, just a very well designed cardboard system of spacers and compartments.

The unit comes with the small front cover removed (and in a small plastic bag), all necessary screws and wall anchors are included, the pigtail comes separate and you decide from which side you want the cable to come in (or from the back if you are hard-wiring it), therefore, you have to drill a 1-1/8" hole on the case but it then gets covered by the tightening assembly.

It was a pleasant surprise to see that the unit comes with a mounting plate that attaches to the wall, very convenient. It took me about 30 minutes to have it all wired and tightened; the only thing I'd ask for is a hook to hang the cable.

I like this unit, it looks very well made, it feels solid and durable. A+

Thanks for the update on your installation. This is all good news. Looks like SPX will be the way to go for my installation. I had been leaning towards a GE unit but I'm now reassured by this review.

SPX Power Express installed!

I was a bit surprised in regards to the attention to details on this unit and its packing. A very compact box without any styrofoam inside, just a very well designed cardboard system of spacers and compartments.

The unit comes with the small front cover removed (and in a small plastic bag), all necessary screws and wall anchors are included, the pigtail comes separate and you decide from which side you want the cable to come in (or from the back if you are hard-wiring it), therefore, you have to drill a 1-1/8" hole on the case but it then gets covered by the tightening assembly.

It was a pleasant surprise to see that the unit comes with a mounting plate that attaches to the wall, very convenient. It took me about 30 minutes to have it all wired and tightened; the only thing I'd ask for is a hook to hang the cable.

I like this unit, it looks very well made, it feels solid and durable. A+

garygid said:
Has anybody been able to get a 25-foot cable yet?

Last I read, SPX only offered a 16-foot cable.
Is that still what SPX is supplying?

That is the length on mine; I placed it in the middle of the wall, it reaches front or back with plenty to spare should I decide to park front in or otherwise. I think even for a vehicle with the connector on the side, if you place it well, it can reach around it.

The cable to the J1772 is heavy, probably 10 lbs by itself.

Where and how to buy it, online/phone?
How much in shipping do they charge?
When do they normally ship after ordering?

Thanks

Call 1-877-805-EVSE (1-877-805-3873)

The EVSE is called the Power Express

Shipping is $25

Price is $749 + tax + shipping

They sent mine in two days and arrived in two more

I have been asked by my employer to make suggestions as to what charging system they should install. The charging stations should be rugged, easy to use, affordable, and compatible will current and future EVs or plugin hybrids. The installation would be in the open parking lot and exposed to Chicagoland weather. Is the SPX a good option for this? Or are there better alternatives?

lukati said:
I have been asked by my employer to make suggestions as to what charging system they should install. The charging stations should be rugged, easy to use, affordable, and compatible will current and future EVs or plugin hybrids. The installation would be in the open parking lot and exposed to Chicagoland weather. Is the SPX a good option for this? Or are there better alternatives?

If it's a BUSINESS, you should have them contact Blink and ChargePoint to at least get quotes. Then you can compare some of the "do it yourself" methods. However, when you start mentioning things like "rugged" in the harsh winters of Chicago, I think you need to seriously consider maintenance/repair issues.

Maybe your employer can qualify for some kind of gov't subsidy to help offset the cost of installing the charge stations by contacting the EV Project. They can probably hook your employer up with the right contractors and recommend the right products to install.

My employer is a private non-profit University. There are skilled electricians on staff who deal with much more demanding issues than simple 240V appliances. It is just a matter of identifying the right equipment to install, the rest the staff will take care of.

Is your employer considering offering the charging service for free, or do they want to charge for the use? this would significantly determine the price range of the units that you would be looking at.

lukati said:
My employer is a private non-profit University. There are skilled electricians on staff who deal with much more demanding issues than simple 240V appliances. It is just a matter of identifying the right equipment to install, the rest the staff will take care of.

How many are they installing? Do you want to be part of a public network with a map with access cards and ability to charge $$ for time connected? Access charges probably apply.

I am not certain SPX has a theft resistant attachment system. Leviton 160 has a theft resistant attachment with the ability to bolt to the wall from within the lockable case. And of course the commercial units (Blink, Chargepoint) are theft resistant.

There is also an issue of circuit amps. If you install ten Leviton 160 you need ten 20a circuits (200a). With the commercial units you need ten 40a circuits (400a). Cars will eventually be able to use the 40a but all cars will still charge fine on 20a even if a bit slower. Or with limited amps you could have twice as many Leviton 160s. And Leviton 160 is about half the price(or less) as the commercial units.

smkettner said:
There is also an issue of circuit amps. If you install ten Leviton 160 you need ten 20a circuits (200a). With the commercial units you need ten 40a circuits (400a). Cars will eventually be able to use the 40a but all cars will still charge fine on 20a even if a bit slower. Or with limited amps you could have twice as many Leviton 160s. And Leviton 160 is about half the price(or less) as the commercial units.
I could see a market for a device that communicated with the other EVSEs on the same feed to limit current based on demand. Say you have 10 40A EVSEs - you'd need a 400A service panel to handle the load.

But if they could automatically ramp down based on actual usage, I'd bet that a 200A panel would be more than sufficient - especially considering that the most popular car on the market only pulls 16A right now!

This could also be used to avoid large demand charges by commercial customers - demand charges can be a substantial part of their electricity bill.

Yes that would be huge for big providers. I think LAX with 100 charging spots could probably share 100 amps just fine for long term parking. Especially if they did away with EV only parking and just put them in general spots.

Back