SPX Charger problem or Nissan Leaf OBC?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccheng

The problem I've seen is that during the course of charge, the charging process stopped
(I get notification SMS text to help me tracking the status)

then I've to re-plugin (often several times and sometime connected on the 1st try)

has anyone seen this before? Where the charge just stopped and does not resume.

last night was particularly strange where I get two notification about charge complete.

Was this on a timer or were you using the override button? If you were on override, then a small power glitch could cause charging to stop. However, if it was on a timer, it should restart automatically.

Perhaps there are certain powerline conditions (such as brownout) which will cause the LEAF or the EVSE to give up, but that is purely conjecture on my part.

RegGuheert said:
Was this on a timer or were you using the override button? If you were on override, then a small power glitch could cause charging to stop. However, if it was on a timer, it should restart automatically.

Perhaps there are certain powerline conditions (such as brownout) which will cause the LEAF or the EVSE to give up, but that is purely conjecture on my part.

The SPX with older firmware was known to have a problem with the LEAF timer. This was supposedly fixed with the latest SPX firmware.

it is not on a timer.

it is on setting 3 (24 AMP on 10 AWG)

but thank you for the notice about firmware.

I think the firmware you talked about what with Nissan Leaf which was done several month ago
at the dealership.

ccheng said:
I think the firmware you talked about what with Nissan Leaf which was done several month ago
at the dealership.

No, my understanding is that it was the SPX firmware that resolved that issue. But if you're not using the timer, it's a moot point.

You say the charge is just stopping. What pattern do you see on the SPX lights?

The SPX User Guide shows what the LED patterns indicate. See page 11.

solid green on both light when it is stopped.

which suppose to mean it waiting to charge..

so go from
green and amber before plguin

green and green blink .. at charging

stopped

become green and solid green

ccheng said:
solid green on both light when it is stopped.

which suppose to mean it waiting to charge..

so go from
green and amber before plguin

green and green blink .. at charging

stopped

become green and solid green

Earlier, RegGuheert asked if you were on a timer. You answered no, but I think you were talking about the SPX. Is your LEAF on a timer (are your three blue lights racing?) If so, try pressing the Charge Timer Override button in the LEAF.

immediatechargeswitch.png

Also, does your LEAF charge using the L1 cordset?

there is no timer on the spx charger
and no timer been set on EV (nissan leaf)

as far as L1 cordset.. I have to research to understand what is L1 cordet to respond

ccheng said:
there is no timer on the spx charger
and no timer been set on EV (nissan leaf)

as far as L1 cordset.. I have to research to understand what is L1 cordet to respond

I'm asking if you're able to charge using the Nissan cordset that came with the car.

Nissan_29690.jpg

Just a guess, but your LEAF onboard charger diode may be bad.

Some EVSE (eg. Blink, Chargepoint, Schneider) do a diode check and will not charge if it fails. The Nissan L1 cordset (and Aerovironment EVSE, like at Nissan dealers) do not do this check. I'm not aware of whether the SPX does the check or not.

Easy way to check this would be to try charging at a Blink, Chargepoint or Schneider station to see if that fails too.

Another avenue to pursue would be to try your SPX on a different LEAF. If it fails there too then the SPX would be suspect.

richard said:
ccheng said:
at the dealership.

No, my understanding is that it was the SPX firmware that resolved that issue. But if you're not using the timer, it's a moot point.

Do you have info on where I can update my SPX firmware?

richard said:
Just a guess, but your LEAF onboard charger diode may be bad.

Some EVSE (eg. Blink, Chargepoint, Schneider) do a diode check and will not charge if it fails. The Nissan L1 cordset (and Aerovironment EVSE, like at Nissan dealers) do not do this check. I'm not aware of whether the SPX does the check or not.

Easy way to check this would be to try charging at a Blink, Chargepoint or Schneider station to see if that fails too.

Another avenue to pursue would be to try your SPX on a different LEAF. If it fails there too then the SPX would be suspect.

I have chargepoint, will check out on local chargepoint stations. I think LAX uses chargepoint and few time I was there it was not a issue.

richard said:
ccheng said:
at the dealership.

Tonight I am changing to to setting 2, I Think 16AMP instead of 24AMP. It may be slower to charge, but
it seem to have a better result in term of not getting stopped in the middle of the charge process.

ccheng said:
Tonight I am changing to to setting 2, I Think 16AMP instead of 24AMP. It may be slower to charge, but
it seem to have a better result in term of not getting stopped in the middle of the charge process.
No, it won't be slower since the LEAF draws less than 16A. If the 16A setting works for you, then I would simply not use the 24A setting.

ccheng said:

If this ends up working, please let us know. It would be worth noting if there's an incompatibility between the SPX 24A setting and the LEAF.

My girlfriend has a Volt with the 240 SPX charger in her garage. I use it all the time without a single issue ever. Her Volt is a serial number in the 500's too and she got the SPX EVSE early on so I'd imagine it's an older unit, nothing has ever been updated on it.

Back