Startup and shutdown sounds not working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmike1

I got into my 2014 leaf today and immediately noticed that the startup sound didn't play. I went to the dash menu under settings > effects, and when I clicked on each option I didn't get a sound either. The screen came up very quickly, like I had effects disabled, even when I selected a sound. I also did a factory reset from the dash menu, and while I had to reset the clock to a 12 hour clock, it didn't address the issue.

Now I know that many people find the sound annoying, but I like it. Any suggestions? Has anybody reported a failed chime speaker? That's what it seems like.

Thanks in advance

Does your car still make beeps when you plug in? How about the reverse chime? Forward whoosh motion sound? All those and the startup sound are created by the VSP (approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians) module behind the glove box.

If the other sounds are gone, too, then it might be a failed VSP box, or a connection to it. If it is just the startup sound, then could be the interior speaker only (under the steering column, I believe). The lock/unlock/key reminder beeps are a separate system, so you should still have those at least.

I read that the VSP checks for a failed speaker on startup, but maybe just the exterior one. If the exterior speaker is missing it unplugged, the VSP malfunction light should illuminate.

This happens a few times per year on my 2011 (just the startup and shutdown sounds don't work - everything else okay), and that is mainly when I leave the car outside and it is colder. It usually does it a time or two, and then starts working again later, and always seems to work in the warmer weather...

Geoff- I think you nailed it. I don't get any beeps when I plug it in either. It also doesn't make the typical reverse chime. It sounds like the VSP unit has failed. I don't have any warning lights on the dash about it however. And as I type this my wife came in the driveway perfectly silently :) I kind of like it, but it won't be good For pedestrians. The door lock and unlock beeps work as you suggested.

sdmike1 said:
Geoff- I think you nailed it. I don't get any beeps when I plug it in either. It also doesn't make the typical reverse chime. It sounds like the VSP unit has failed. I don't have any warning lights on the dash about it however. And as I type this my wife came in the driveway perfectly silently :) I kind of like it, but it won't be good For pedestrians. The door lock and unlock beeps work as you suggested.

I prefer the lack of noise pollution myself, but understand concerns about pedestrians. Running the climate control turns in the radiator fans. Pretty good alert sound in my experience. I wish the backup bell projected from under the rear bumper instead of the driver's front wheel well. It could be more localized and unobtrusive that way.

If it concerns you, I imagine your car is still under warranty, so Nissan should cover having it fixed.

Might be as simple as re-seating the 12-pin plug to it. If the plug has slipped loose, like if the locking tab wasn't fully engaged at the factory, there will be no more sounds, yet no error code or warning light either. Curious design.

gshepherd said:
I prefer the lack of noise pollution myself, but understand concerns about pedestrians. Running the climate control turns in the radiator fans. Pretty good alert sound in my experience. I wish the backup bell projected from under the rear bumper instead of the driver's front wheel well. It could be more localized and unobtrusive that way.

If it concerns you, I imagine your car is still under warranty, so Nissan should cover having it fixed.

Might be as simple as re-seating the 12-pin plug to it. If the plug has slipped loose, like if the locking tab wasn't fully engaged at the factory, there will be no more sounds, yet no error code or warning light either. Curious design.

I like it as well, but the guy in the grocery store parking lot that stepped off the curb was sure surprised. :) Can I get at this from under the dash to check the connection? Yes, it's under warranty, but I like simple fixes if that's the issue.

sdmike1 said:
I like it as well, but the guy in the grocery store parking lot that stepped off the curb was sure surprised. :) Can I get at this from under the dash to check the connection? Yes, it's under warranty, but I like simple fixes if that's the issue.

Getting to the VSP module requires removing the glove box. The main risk is in scratching up an interior plastic panel or breaking a tab if you pull forcibly in the wrong direction. It's not hard to do if you have worked on modern car interiors before. It is much easier with the official service manual for reference: https://www.nissan-techinfo.com (if you buy 24 hours of access, that is more than enough time to download all the PDFs that make up the service manual).

That said, I think some folks have documented on here how to remove the glove box, for example, to have better access to the air filter or clean the climate blower fan.

I'd recommend having the dealer diagnose it, especially since theres a good chance it's more than just a loose connector. There's a whole step-by-step procedure to diagnose a failed VSP.

Thanks Geoff. That's the plan. It goes in on Tuesday. I generally work on my own cars so getting behind the glove box isn't intimidating, but since it's under warranty I might as not subject myself to the task. I had to replace the touch screen in the car not that long ago, and I learned that I'm at the age where my arms and shoulders don't bend the way they used to.

Thanks again for the advice. The dealer knew exactly what I was talking about when I explained the symptoms and suggested it might be the VSP.

Just to close the loop on this. It wasn't a setting, and it wasn't the module. A damned rodent chewed up several wires under the hood. Instead of ordering a new harness, the dealer soldered and heat-shrinked wires in more than a dozen places. Took half a day and $500 :(

Back