Stranded with incapacitated leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i think we ALL need to reread the J1772 standard.

does it not have a pilot signal that must be engaged before power flows?

cutting the plug and leaving the wires dangling as i understand it is supposed to present zero danger PERIOD. no pilot signal, no power. period.

correct me if i am wrong
This was not a J1772 EVSE. The driver was using his UK portable EVSE to plug into a standard socket on the charging station. The plug could be energized without a car plugged in. I would have crowbarred the thing.

ok, thanks for the correction. it is an outdoor Ground faulted circuit? i still see minimal issues.

ok, so its just a DIY plug?, i would have cut it in a heartbeat. tape it, sign it, do whatever...

DaveinOlyWA said:
davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i think we ALL need to reread the J1772 standard.

does it not have a pilot signal that must be engaged before power flows?

cutting the plug and leaving the wires dangling as i understand it is supposed to present zero danger PERIOD. no pilot signal, no power. period.

correct me if i am wrong
This was not a J1772 EVSE. The driver was using his UK portable EVSE to plug into a standard socket on the charging station. The plug could be energized without a car plugged in. I would have crowbarred the thing.

ok, thanks for the correction. it is an outdoor Ground faulted circuit? i still see minimal issues.

ok, so its just a DIY plug?, i would have cut it in a heartbeat. tape it, sign it, do whatever...

Wow what a story! -- I tried to post this response on the other Leaf site, but am not registered for the "other side of the ocean".

------ British commentary on: ---------------
"Well Bloody Bollocks, ain't that Bugger all! Well, here in Tennessee, I would have just extracted my very special door opening tool known as a Casull .455 Magnum pistol with 6 inch barrel loaded with 280 grain hollow point Doomsday anti-Zombie Teflon coated, fulminate of mercury depleted uranium bullets and that lock would have jumped right off of there!. Bleeding Mechanicals! As bad as a Dalek in Heat!"

------ British commentary off: --------------

DaveinOlyWA said:
No, not DIY. This happened in the UK, where the standard "mains" voltage is 230v. So (as I understand it) he had plugged the standard portable EVSE that comes with the car, which of course is 230v, not 120v, into a charging location that is locked, presumably because people have to pay to use the electricity. So your solution, Dave, would have left him with no way to use the EVSE supplied with the car -- at least until he patched it.

Ray

Ok so not a modified plug.

I would never cut mine note would I expect him to cut his.

So charging stations don't have cables or he was just plugging into a general public power supply ?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok so not a modified plug.

I would never cut mine note would I expect him to cut his.

So charging stations don't have cables or he was just plugging into a general public power supply ?

Correct, L2 charging stations in Europe does not have any cables. You bring your own. Either the EVSE that comes with the car, or a Mennekes-J1772 cable if the charging station is of the Mennekes-type.

Back