Strategies for getting an outlet installed at work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My company is LEED certified and I do have access to a 110 plug in the company garage that I can use. But I would love a stage 2 or even 3 plug there.

Does anyone have insight into what "benefits" the company can gain if they are LEED certified and install a EV charger?
:ugeek:

joinarnold said:
My company is LEED certified and I do have access to a 110 plug in the company garage that I can use. But I would love a stage 2 or even 3 plug there.

Does anyone have insight into what "benefits" the company can gain if they are LEED certified and install a EV charger?
where are you?

LA Basin has AQMD credits for it and one free.

Guess we lucked out. One of the "higher ups" has one of those overly pricey Mini EV leases ... and the 1st thing he did was to assure there'd be a 12V location for him to recharge. They made the location such that 2 or 3 cars can plug in. Sweet!

hill said:
Guess we lucked out. One of the "higher ups" has one of those overly pricey Mini EV leases ... and the 1st thing he did was to assure there'd be a 12V location for him to recharge. They made the location such that 2 or 3 cars can plug in. Sweet!
12V?? I hope you mean 120V...

They really outdid themselves! =)

Maybe they are trying to encourage more overtime. "100+ hours until my car is recharged! Sh*t, well I might as well just keep working!"

:)

I work at a large federal office complex (2,500 employees) which is currently undergoing significant energy savings remodeling. GSA is managing the project (they manage the bldg).

I asked the project lead if they could also accommodate some EV charging stations. He replied, "We will be installing 20-30 charging stations."

Unfortunately, they won't be going in until the last phase of the project—around 2013. I still may not have a Leaf by then... :lol:

thankyouOB said:
joinarnold said:

where are you?

LA Basin has AQMD credits for it and one free.

I'm in San Diego, La Jolla to be exact.

Incentives vary greatly by region. The department of energy has collected a lot of information about the incentives at http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/

In case peer pressure works; here is the first bank of L2 EVSEs at my employer. The other side of the parking lot has another dozen or so in the process of being installed, plus there are about 40 110 outlets that can be used for EVs, a few Tesla stations, and a few for the old RAV4s.
b49bbf83828e860935165f72b029b71ab4d70513_wmeg.jpg
. These are located at Google headquarters.

Googler said:
Incentives vary greatly by region. The department of energy has collected a lot of information about the incentives at http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/

In case peer pressure works; here is the first bank of L2 EVSEs at my employer. The other side of the parking lot has another dozen or so in the process of being installed, plus there are about 40 110 outlets that can be used for EVs, a few Tesla stations, and a few for the old RAV4s.
b49bbf83828e860935165f72b029b71ab4d70513_wmeg.jpg
. These are located at Google headquarters.

woah... that is awesome!

I wanna work at Google!

Googler said:
Does Google allow non-employee EVs to charge there ?

gascant said:
The light poles in the parking lot at work have screw on covers at about waist level--inside there are wires tied together with wire nuts. Not sure if it's 120 or 240 so I'll have to take a VOM to it and measure.

Whoa.

Be very careful if you go fiddling about in that light pole! In fact, leave it to a pro. Many street lighting circuits are NOT 120v or 240v, but 277v (one phase of a 480v system). This isnt going to be a little "tickle" if you accidently get in between a wire with potential, and ground. It feels more like your buddy just hit you full swing on the funny bone with a ball-peen hammer; if the current doesn't pass through your chest and burn/kill you first. Or blind you, or....

This should be a warning to everyone, in fact. You need to respect electricity, and how unforgiving it is. More people are killed every year by being shocked by 120v, than ALL the other voltages combined. If you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing, hire a pro, and live to tell your kids about it.

Back