Stuck at a stop light, guy behind me blaring his horn - CRAP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, if you have something like Gary's SOC meter with the 1.8 firmware, you can see that the motor does not receive power until the brake pedal is released. I think putting it in Neutral is more laziness than anything else... If someone wants to do something like that, setting the parking brake, which will automatically release, makes far more sense. Personally, I just use the brake pedal!

JPWhite said:
The car does try to creep forward when in drive, so it must use energy to achieve that.

mogur said:
No, if you have something like Gary's SOC meter with the 1.8 firmware, you can see that the motor does not receive power until the brake pedal is released. I think putting it in Neutral is more laziness than anything else... If someone wants to do something like that, setting the parking brake, which will automatically release, makes far more sense.

Hadn't thought of using the parking brake, I'll have to give it go sometime.

JPWhite said:
mogur said:
No, if you have something like Gary's SOC meter with the 1.8 firmware, you can see that the motor does not receive power until the brake pedal is released. I think putting it in Neutral is more laziness than anything else... If someone wants to do something like that, setting the parking brake, which will automatically release, makes far more sense.

Setting the parking brake will use energy.

But hey, may I suggest to everyone to simply leave your foot on the nornal brake when waiting for a light? You've got to put your foot somewhere, yeah? Plus it keeps the brake lights lit to warn drivers approaching from behind. (Cool feature, eh?) And as an added bonus, when you want to go again (even quickly or unexpectantly) you just lift your foot and push on the accelerator. Not much to think about or get wrong! And you won't make the rest of us LEAF drivers look bad. ;-)

mogur said:
No, if you have something like Gary's SOC meter with the 1.8 firmware, you can see that the motor does not receive power until the brake pedal is released. I think putting it in Neutral is more laziness than anything else... If someone wants to do something like that, setting the parking brake, which will automatically release, makes far more sense. Personally, I just use the brake pedal!

JPWhite said:
The car does try to creep forward when in drive, so it must use energy to achieve that.
The 1.8 firmware reads the same range of power usage whether in Park, Neutral, Drive or Eco with the foot brake on. It shows slightly more power usage when only using the parking brake to hold the car when in gear.

JPWhite said:
As for the safety factor in tight maneuvering. Let's think about that a minute. With a manual transmission there is no creep, you have to press the accelerator to make it move. No safety issues with using the accelerator and feathering the clutch. I don't buy the 'safety' argument.

Umm, no. On level ground there is no need to press the accelerator on a manual to make it creep, just feather the clutch. The idle speed governor will keep the engine running if you're gentle.

jkirkebo said:
Umm, no. On level ground there is no need to press the accelerator on a manual to make it creep, just feather the clutch. The idle speed governor will keep the engine running if you're gentle.

That's a clutch control lesson for new drivers. Not something one would do while maneuvering.

Christopher said:
JPWhite said:
mogur said:

Setting the parking brake will use energy.

And it will take some time to release when you touch the accellerator... at least, that's what I experienced on the test drive. Whether you use the handle to release the brake or let the car do it by itself when you try to move, it will strain against the handbrake until the actuating motor has had time to fully release it.

Cheers, Bert

Christopher said:
Plus it keeps the brake lights lit to warn drivers approaching from behind. (Cool feature, eh?)

Yes, it's VERY important to signal to the car behind you that you're not moving. Not having your foot on the brake pedal on a red light is not very smart IMHO.

Back